Second Review Case Will Be Shipped Dec 23Rd

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
:eek: that is really close to christmas lets hope it wont get stuck somewhere.

source: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en

And let's hope it's finally perfect.

I should ask ED if I can bother him with a visit a few days after Christmas, Ingolstadt is about 2 hrs by car from where I live.
It would be a nice birthday present to go to the dragon's lair and play with his treasure <3

somwthing wrong with my eyes or board will be tested after shipping

"First quick test done. Final test will take place Dec. 28th"

I live in Ingolstadt and was hoping to pick mine up from ED but unfortunately, I'm back in the UK visiting my parents after christmas.

So it will be a while before I can get my hands on one. :-(

svs-57 said:
somwthing wrong with my eyes or board will be tested after shipping

"First quick test done. Final test will take place Dec. 28th"
I don't think we'll see anything ship before the 28th. I'd be surprised if MWeston even has the new cases by then, given that it's Christmas and all. I think ED will be able to use his existing Pandora for the CE test though. By the time MWeston gives the green light for mass production, the CE results will already be in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not as concerned with delays nearly as much now as I was before this last case. If this next one isn't right I say tweak it some more but hopefully this one will be good enough for production.

second exodous said:
I'm not as concerned with delays nearly as much now as I was before this last case. If this next one isn't right I say tweak it some more but hopefully this one will be good enough for production.

Same here mate, after seeing how nice the case's actually are, I feel much calmer about the whole thing, I'm just happy this device lives up to the hype.

Yeah, the case Ed has should be good for that final test(I believe it is final enough to be used), so he won't need the next revision. If someone put shipping on the 23rd up on the chart, expect it to ship days after that(maybe), and with the holidays rolling in, don't be suprised if it takes till the new year to hear anything. The dates given hear are never accurate(rarely even close), even when they are given within 24hrs before. The case has been a work in progress for a long time, and looks superb! I'm glad the team is taken the extra care in getting it right, and I know everytime someone on the team gives a date, there are doing it with the best information they have at that time, but I know to take it with a "GRAIN" of salt at this point. Hopefully the next cases will show the silkscreen, although it's probably best if they don't, if there's a problem there, we might have to wait months more for it to be corrected. It will be best for the factory to just do the matte finish and silk screen on the finals, and at that point there will be no turning back! Keep those pics and videos coming!

Jumpman

second exodous said:
TBH, I am a bit annoyed by the info we are given.
If I understand that correctly, the Chinese company sends teh cases which have to be reviewd the 23rd. This is the shipment which should take place, well, it was said by craig 5 or 7 days ago. I wouldn't have minded waiting till 23rd. However, i am checking the blog and forum each day, because since the 18th these cases could/should have arrived. that makes me a bit sad.

Especially the communication about the cases is a difficult task. Several timezones and different languages. Usually I take infos as they come, but I don't take them for granted. That's the lesson learned in the last year ;)

mali said:
Especially the communication about the cases is a difficult task. Several timezones and different languages. Usually I take infos as they come, but I don't take them for granted. That's the lesson learned in the last year ;)

True Dat!

Jumpman

With possible delays due to Christmas, the new year and Chinese new year next February, all it takes is another case revision and one other unforeseen delay and it's two months again :(

Let's hope they'll make it before January is past. Unfortunately, given the history so far, there is little reason to assume they will.

Caine said:
With possible delays due to Christmas, the new year and Chinese new year next February, all it takes is another case revision and one other unforeseen delay and it's two months again :(

Let's hope they'll make it before January is past. Unfortunately, given the history so far, there is little reason to assume they will.

i'm really hoping I get my pandora by febuary or it'll be a really disappointing new year :(

Well, if it is indeed shipped out on the 23rd. It should get to Mike by next week sometime. Technically, OP has as much slack time as it takes to get the other 3,000 PCBs fully populated. So OP is floating on some extra time.

I think we can all agree that seeing the actual cases on Rev4 boards took away a big slice of worry. The information we know now (2nd revision cases / 3,000 PCBs being built in the background) means that this is the final "Two Months" we have left for Everybody. So hopefully, all 4,000 Pandora's can be built and ready by February.

Obviously, if the 2nd revision cases get the green light, we may be able to see 1,000-1,500 Pandora orders fulfilled in January.

Here's hopin'

fusion_power said:
Does actualy soemone still know, WHEN the cinese Factory started with building ther Molds? I've forgot this.
When they started, or when they said they started? Because I get the distinct impression that these two dates are different.

WizardStan said:
When they started, or when they said they started? Because I get the distinct impression that these two dates are different.
Unless you live next to the factory or have a Chinese cousin who works there, how would you know?

keek said:
WizardStan said:
Unless you live next to the factory or have a Chinese cousin who works there, how would you know?
Because OpenPandora relayed everything that they were told to us. The moulds were scheduled to be done early September, and that was with the reported "max" length of time it would take of 45 days. Then there was a delay of a couple weeks they needed for testing, then the Chinese holiday, then more delays. Finally, end of November, they had a mould that they had only just started testing with. It was nearly 100 days into what the factory said was a 30-45 day process before they had even begun testing. My instinct (which has gotten me killed on more than one occasion, so could be wrong) says the process really does take about 30-60 days, but they didn't actually start on it until after the "deadline" had passed, choosing to work on bigger clients instead. That's the conclusion my incomplete logic based on second hand information leads me to.

On the Developer Blog on the official site, it 'began' on August 11th:

Did somebody say "Let it begin"?
Tuesday, 11 August 2009 15:17 EvilDragon

Yes, we did.
You've seen some requested videos during the last days, now it's time for some more facts and information, eh?

Well, the review of the complete case and the keymat is finished. There were a few small issues that we already corrected and on Monday the company did tell us "Everything is ready, we can start when you are ready".
And guess what - we were ready! Finally all issues of the case and keymat have been resolved and they are now working on the mould.

4 Months since August, I really hope, this factory don't do such a mess with big companies, otherwise they would be already our of business.
"Finally all issues of the case and keymat have been resolved" really sounds like all Case-problems are because of the mould production and not because of incorect CAD-Data from the Devs.
Very heavy stuff when I check Internet sites of (prototype) Mould Companies where they offer ready moulds within a few days/weeks.
I always thought the Cinese Factories are the fastest ones worldwide. Looks like Iv've been completely wrong (in this case).

Back