SD card for press Reviews

Ginge->Cave Story in its own PND.

I'd include c64 & Speccy if their staff are old-time fans, to show off the utility of keyboard for that.

i think we need to determine key features here

wifi/internet - fennec/whatever browser works best (not chrome yet due to secure login)

productivity - abiword, gnumeric, claws

gaming - something we can use to show off all the controls so mupen64plus for the nubs and power, picodrive or snes9x for the dpad, also some homebrew

entertainment - gnome player works well for me so include the codec, exaile also seems to work well

peripherals - it might be worth sending out that TV out cable of ED's so they can explore the connectivity

i would also imagine that some kind of basic setup for reviewers trying to download pnds would be worthwhile too

If you're going to be including any emulators, I brought the Legal Emulation Resources list over here, if you would like to peruse it.

There's something there for a large number of the currently-emulated systems, if that would help - and luckily, Back to the Roots is currently up again, so on the Amiga front there's a huge amount of legally-freely-available formerly commercial titles to hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please sir, can you share this SD image when you are finished with it? Magazine writers aren't the only ones who don't want to futz around to get the Pandora working for fun.

BTW, my suggestion is that you put the WakeBreaker sources on the SD card and include a note about how easy it is to develop apps for the Pandora - just type 'make' to see an example, etc. This is one thing that the Pandora has above all other consoles - the ability to build games on the machine itself, no other system required .. ;)

Yes battle for wesnoth is a very good candidate to be on a review unit :)

Some leisure game like Ltris would also be fitting and Quake2 also works pretty well however it does take a while to get used to the nubs in that game (maybe somebody has a good deadzone setting so its less fiddly) Pandorapanic is also very nice.

ScummVM with something like broken sword, full throttle or monkey island set up would be nice (however you might want to wait for DJWillis to fix the touchscreen offset on that) so scratch that!

Ginge->Cave Story in its own PND.
Quoted for truth. Ginge is huge ("backwards" compatibility to the Pandora's spiritual predecessor at a level comparable to what the big names deliver) and Cave Story is a well-known and loved game. Point them to a readme file if neccessary.

If you can get your hands at one maybe a demo (as in "demoscene"). Native demos are rare but they might appreciate demos for emulated platforms that run smoothly as they can show off what the Pandora is already capable of. For instance the legendary Second Reality (MS-DOS).

4938271439_2a1be9f0f0_b.jpg
2 hours!

I needs ta get me one of these pandora things.

Please sir, can you share this SD image when you are finished with it? Magazine writers aren't the only ones who don't want to futz around to get the Pandora working for fun.

BTW, my suggestion is that you put the WakeBreaker sources on the SD card and include a note about how easy it is to develop apps for the Pandora - just type 'make' to see an example, etc. This is one thing that the Pandora has above all other consoles - the ability to build games on the machine itself, no other system required .. ;)

yeah Craig could the sd image be used as a downloadable startup guide for beginners.I really think the pandora needs this sooner rather than later.It could be updated as nesecarry. :)

Yes please.

It would be awesome to have something pre-configured for us new types to have a look at.

Personally, the things I play most on mine are hu-go (specifically parasol stars), gngeo , fuse and ginger. Just started playing around with gargoyle which is good for demoing the text adventure with a real keyboard - makes it much easier than fritz on the iPhone. Quake 3 is a great thing to demo so long as you sort out your controls to be better than my current setup.

I'd also go for having xfce as the default start mode even though I have mine running mini menu most of the time.

It's all about the first impressions, so it needs to show things which are a step up from the gp2x or dingoo , so mupen64 with Mario and psx4pandora with wipeoutxl would be good

There is plenty available on the net, both professionally done and fan stuff.

Google is most definitely your friend :)

This would be great if the 'Image' of the SD card could also be shared with the user base. My understanding is that we should eventually see some kind of package management system implemented for the Pandora. I guess this would negate the need for an SD image for a lot of users.

However I can't see how having such a file available to download would be anything but a good thing.

No worries. I have been that plenty of times (not the tutorials, just the laziness ;) )

Back