Sd Card Database?

j6cubic

Yes, it's yet another SD card thread but I noticed that it's pretty hard to actually find good data on which SD cards are known to work well with the Pandora and which tend towards issues. In fact, I don't even know whether the SD card corruption issue is still relevant.

Perhaps we could start a list of SD cards and their known performances in an easy-to-find location such as the wiki. Which ones work, which ones don't? Which ones are the fastest? What's the cheapest reasonable brand? What are things Pandora users should know about SD cards in general?

As the Pandoras are making their way to the users we could use data such as this in convenient locations to make it easier for new users to get up to speed. Of course this extends to other accessories besides SD cards as well.

The pandora have a fully compliant SDHC reader so ANY card you throw at it should work. If for some reason it doesn't it is either because something is wrong with the card (ie: brekage, malfunctioning and the like), is fake (always check this with a flash checker or even better, the manufacturer), or it is in a odd state.
Heck, it probably supports beyond the standard with SDXC cards.

Just buy cards from mayor known manufacturers (Kingston, Transcend, Adata,...) from trusted sources and you should be fine.
What's more, should you find a card that doesn't work, post it here to get help to get it running, even if it requires a new driver update for some reason.

As for perfomance...
I don't know if there is a linux tester for this type of things.

Instead of trying to classify all types of cards, it would be more interesting to find the best and fastest cards for the lowest price and put it on the wiki, and keep it updated.
Specially if done by regions, Spain, Germany, US, UK, Italy,...

EDIT: "cheapest_price" is now spam?

Well, there was a corruption issue that seemed to occur more often with some brands than others. I think Sandisk was mostly unaffected. Of course if the issue is no longer around (perhaps taken care of in one of the hotfixes) that would simplify things.

The issue of copying from one card to another exists, but there was no obvious conclusion what made it worse. Maybe speed of card is a factor, but not enough info to be sure (particularly when each person only has a few cards to test with a specific machine)

The cheapest cards seem to fail (on any machine, not just pandora). Others seem OK, most will not work for copying between slots - you need to be lucky for this to work, or maybe it will only work in one direction. Probably a driver issue, but needs more data to help resolve.

tsh said:
The issue of copying from one card to another exists, but there was no obvious conclusion what made it worse. Maybe speed of card is a factor, but not enough info to be sure (particularly when each person only has a few cards to test with a specific machine)
How common is this? Several people reported it, but many seem to have no problems. Also, while copying does fail on my Pandora, the problem is not limited to copying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for me, all the time with files over a few Mb, either way - except for one pair out of about 6 cards. But I didn't notice until I explicitly tried it since it isn't something I need to do. Copying from a card to /dev/null didn't give me errors, so it clearly does vary from unit to unit. I am not sure that anyone who said they tried it with more than one pair of cards found no issues, but not many people tried it. Have a look in the help section.

tsh said:
Copying from a card to /dev/null didn't give me errors, so it clearly does vary from unit to unit. I am not sure that anyone who said they tried it with more than one pair of cards found no issues, but not many people tried it. Have a look in the help section.
Copying to /dev/null does fail on my Pandora. Also, Notaz said his is fine.

notaz said:
Doesn't repro for me on my cards.

Just a guess, but I'm imagining that quite a number of people are using Thunar, or just plain cp. :p

Prometheus said:
Just a guess, but I'm imagining that quite a number of people are using Thunar, or just plain cp. :p
then, give them the right way to do it :
Code:
cat /path/to/some/file >/dev/null

I've not tried it myself, so I couldn't have given it. :p Thanks for filling in the blank for me. :)

Back