Play Sd Card

You obviously didn't read his question properly: He wanted it to be as fast as possible. :huh:
:D

pandora said:
You obviously didn't read his question properly: He wanted it to be as fast as possible. :huh:
The A-data is Speed Rating: Class 6 , same as the one you link...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where I generally get my SDHC cards from now. Good prices, especially if they have stock at their Jersey depot as its vat free. :D

16GB Transcend Card

Got a couple of these for christmas presents, and they appear to be very good - class 6 with lifetime warranty. The more well known brands (such as sandisk) seem a lot more expensive. :(

Polossatik said:
pandora said:

Class 6 cards are not all the same.

That SanDisk can read and write at 30 MB/s. The A-Data is like 6 MB/s or so..

adamorjames said:
Polossatik said:
pandora said:

Class 6 cards are not all the same.

That SanDisk can read and write at 30 MB/s. The A-data is like 6 MB/s or so..

This one... Fast Sandisk 16GB is indeed nice and fast, if a little expensive.

I understood that the class ratings were in indication of the basic read speed on SDHC cards - i.e. Class 6 was 166x read at least. I know the write speed differs greatly between cards/usb sticks etc though.

edit: ok, I got it wrong. Its a minimum write speed not read. Did a search on good old wikipedia and found this article that explains it all - SDHC Speed ratings info :D Class 6 is indeed only 6MB/S :eek:

edit 2: Just done a read speed test on my 16GB transcend card using "hdtach" on my pc, and it reads a constant 20MB/s across the whole card. This is the freeware version so couldn't to a write test..

Sandisk Extreme-III/IV cards are the best, fastest flash memory cards around. They've been verified to run 30 and 45 MB/s both ways, respectively. Also, class ratings are virtually meaningless; they only ensure bare minimum rates of 2/4/6 MB/s, which even worthless counterfeit crap from Hong Kong can reach. There're also tons of deals to make them affordable; I got three 8 GB extreme-IIIs for only $32 after rebate (which might still be useful if you can find them on an eligible site) from a recent slickdeals.net post. I already use an ultra-II MSPD (15 MB/s r/w, $52 on Newegg) in my PSP, and it kicks ass, so these should be even cooler.

Edit: Looks like extreme-IV speed isn't available in SDHC yet. Still, it's out there in CF cards for you to be jealous of the people who can afford it.

I've got that card and while it is fast I wouldn't say it compares to anything like the SanDisk Extreme or Ultra ones. Once you start filling the thing up it becomes slow! Nice for the storage but don't expect super speeds from it. Saying that though I'm using it in my digital camera but you do notice the difference between that and the Ultra sandisk card I orginally had in my camera.

Hello

Thanks everyone for there replies. I just want to make sure I'm not buying a SD Card which is going to be annoyingly slow, but at the same time I am trying to watch the pennies.

I think I will go for the Transcend from Amazon, its only a little bit more and is Class 6.

I'm right in thinking that the OS isn't going to run of an SD Card is it? Unless I install an additional OS.

Thanks again, can't wait to get my Pandora, its going to be the best gadget ever! Finally a handheld to replace my ZODIAC!

Jono

I bought one of them and it's been okay so far, although I had some problems with the filesystem on it. For example I have a file which I can't seem to delete - I did a virus scan and it was clean, so perhaps a disk utility will help? I don't know ether the problem was with the card itself or just my computer so don't take this as a bad sign or anything.

I ordered a second one when they got back in stock as it never turned up, i've been told to ring back on the 3rd January and they'll probably send me another.

Kingbiscit said:
Hello

Thanks everyone for there replies. I just want to make sure I'm not buying a SD Card which is going to be annoyingly slow, but at the same time I am trying to watch the pennies.

I think I will go for the Transcend from Amazon, its only a little bit more and is Class 6.

I'm right in thinking that the OS isn't going to run of an SD Card is it? Unless I install an additional OS.

Thanks again, can't wait to get my Pandora, its going to be the best gadget ever! Finally a handheld to replace my ZODIAC!

Jono
7dayshop is cheeper by the way Only £17.99 for the class 6 16GB

Wile the program files are loading from the hard drive is when speed is most important. Any thing to but down on load times! But speed is always nice but for most media (and very small programs), once you have the files on the card they can stay there unless you run out of room. So on big average speed card and one small but fast card would be the best of both worlds.

This is a £9.99 Free Delivery 2GB SD version of that £104.99 16GB SDHD card.
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...rd/Product.html

audovoice said:
Wile the program files are loading from the hard drive is when speed is most important. Any thing to but down on load times! But speed is always nice but for most media (and very small programs), once you have the files on the card they can stay there unless you run out of room. So on big average speed card and one small but fast card would be the best of both worlds.
This is a £9.99 Free Delivery 2GB SD version of that £104.99 16GB SDHD card.
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...rd/Product.html

Its listed as 2GB 20MB/s R/W for 9.99 pounds. Imho its overpriced.

Yet, if you get the Transcend 16GB, you have a sure 15MB/s R/W with 16GB, for 17.99 pounds...

Also, take in account, the Pandora's max read/write for SD's is around 15MB/s ( based on the beagle boards results ). There is talk about trying to improve it in the future ( but at the moment, its a driver overhead limitation ), but i for one don't see the advantage in getting a card, where you lose 14GB, for a 5MB/s speed increase, a speed increase that possible the Pandora can't even use...

Don't forget, the Pandora now has 256MB ram, in other words, the OS will be caching files in memory, reducing the need for a extreme high speed card also. Its not that you are going to be booting every few times...

The boot time for Ångstöm from SD was 8sec, using a SanDisk Extreme II ( same speed as the Transcend's ). So, even "if" the system can use that extra 1/4's speed, your still looking at 6seconds.

I personally hope that that it will be possible to offload the base Pandora OS ( Ångstöm ) onto a SD card, seeing as the NAND memory is freaking slow ( 5MB/s ). Any optimizations on speeding up the Pandora OS on the NAND memory will be even more increased on the SD card loading. And to be honest, i like this better. Have the base OS on the NAND, but you don't use it. You use a copy on the SD cards. Its faster, and if something happens to your SD version, you can always fall back on the NAND version.

Benjiro said:
I personally hope that that it will be possible to offload the base Pandora OS ( Ångstöm ) onto a SD card, seeing as the NAND memory is freaking slow ( 5MB/s ). Any optimizations on speeding up the Pandora OS on the NAND memory will be even more increased on the SD card loading. And to be honest, i like this better. Have the base OS on the NAND, but you don't use it. You use a copy on the SD cards. Its faster, and if something happens to your SD version, you can always fall back on the NAND version.
That is exactly what I'm planning to do. On the NAND will be my 'emergency OS' and on SD the work OS.

Drivers, of all things, are bottlenecking R/W speed? Ick.

If you live in the US and plan on buying Sandisk flash memory over the next two weeks, you should look into the offer at http://spedr.com/upz9. Basically, it's a tiered rebate Sandisk's giving out to anyone who buys 4+ GB Extreme-III/IV SD and CF cards from a photo store on their list; when I took advantage of it, abesofmaine.com had 8 GB extreme-III SD cards for only ~$33 apiece, so with a coupon for free shipping and $70 rebate it worked out to under $10 per card.

typs lik dis said:
Drivers, of all things, are bottlenecking R/W speed? Ick.

If you live in the US and plan on buying Sandisk flash memory over the next two weeks, you should look into the offer at http://spedr.com/upz9. Basically, it's a tiered rebate Sandisk's giving out to anyone who buys 4+ GB Extreme-III/IV SD and CF cards from a photo store on their list; when I took advantage of it, abesofmaine.com had 8 GB extreme-III SD cards for only ~$33 apiece, so with a coupon for free shipping and $70 rebate it worked out to under $10 per card.

Sold out :angry:

:lol:

Back