SD Card compatibility list cleanup?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Is it time for some cleanup to be done on the SD card compatibility list?

There are a few things that seem to be issues.

1. Many of the speeds listed are the manufacturer's published ratings for the card and not the speeds from the dd speed test outlined.

2. The dd program listed is at a device level. We would be much better served having the dd to a formatted partition.

3. Several entries are inconsistent - maybe due to human error or not understanding how to properly partition and format. Maybe due to physical card differences - hard to tell.

So - the list is a great idea, but we need to tighten up the measurement rules. Actually lay out the steps for testing in the form of:

1. Boot from NAND OS install with no cards inserted.

2. Insert card to be tested in the left SD slot.

3. Open a Terminal

4. Partition the card using ... (for FAT32, EXT2, EXT3) and walk them through it.

5. Format the card using ... and walk them through it.

6. Run the command dd... and walk them through it for 3 executions for each formatted partition.

etc...

That's my opinion - I wouldn't touch what is already there on the list unless there is consensus on a methodology change. My thought on the above would be additional columns/tests that would be more apples to apples than what is currently listed. I.e. don't destroy what is there under the old method, but set up a framework for those cards to be tested under the new method.

Thoughts?

Back