Screw decisions for assembly

Solid Roentgenium

Like copper, silver and gold but even more expensive :p

-

Back on topic, I recently took apart our AEG-Electrolux oven. It's construction seems fairly unremarkable, but it uses Pozidriv self-tappers  throughout.

I think the use philips must be a North-American thing.

If we discard Philips on the grounds that it tends to strip threads, how to torx and hex compare?

My experience with very small hex bolts has been mixed, since the head can strip and end up as a cylindrical, rather than hexagonal-prism-shaped recess.

Torx has better power-transfer properties - Flanks that are more or less perpendicular to the turning momentum is better at transferring power and better at keeping their shape than flanks that more or less are in the direction of the twist :)

Torx has better power-transfer properties - Flanks that are more or less perpendicular to the turning momentum is better at transferring power and better at keeping their shape than flanks that more or less are in the direction of the twist :)

Also torx doesnt hat that wrong size bit for the screw-problem that arises with metric and imperial hex.
I'm fine with Torx.

Realistically we're not dealing with anywhere near the amount of torque required to strip an Allen (hex key) socket - so it would be fine too.

Here is an option for a self threading Torx drive stainless screw:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#99397a018/=s9hjm8

So - those exist.

For some reason Torx seems a little more appropriate to me than hex.

Back on topic, I recently took apart our AEG-Electrolux oven. It's construction seems fairly unremarkable, but it uses Pozidriv self-tappers  throughout.
I think the use philips must be a North-American thing.
It wouldn't surprise me, Americans are stubborn.  Are Pozi screws in the sizes required for Pyra common in your area?  

It might be a good idea for ED and other Pyra sellers to make the (most) correct tool in the proper size available for purchase.

As far as I am aware I have never ran into a Pozidrive screw, but I don't mess with that stuff often, mostly just construction stuff. And I have definitely never used them or seen them used in the constructive stuff I've done.

So far, I would like Torx type screws in Pyra.

hmhm and is there a decision on the screws ? I read all the posts before (~ 13 pages!? )

Do we keep the Pandora ones, or is it planed that the case gets some kind of metal inlays / nuts for the screws ?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmhm and is there a decision on the screws ? I read all the posts before (~ 13 pages!? )

Do we keep the Pandora ones, or is it planed that the case gets some kind of metal inlays / nuts for the screws ?
We're a user community.  In general all we can do is educate and make suggestions.  The real decisions are ED's, and he's free to take, leave or ignore our education and suggestions at his leisure.

Personally, I'm still wanting stainless steel coarse machine screws with either hex key or torx in a nice tall cap.

Truss me...

truss.gif

this thread is a hanger.

hanger-bolt.gif

It's going to be round

round.gif

for a while yet...

If you had enough, isn't there an ignore button?

button.gif

I am sorry, I revived this thread ...  cause recently I had some issues with the current set of screws in my Pandora ... :ph34r:

is that a shoulder button? single or double?

@Willhelm.....  dont worry just a bit of light hearted banter.... i hope... lol

Back