Screw decisions for assembly

I don't see how there is ambiguity of the correct tool to use with Pozidrive. Even though you can fit a Phillips into it, it doesn't look at all like a Phillips screw.
on the contrary when you get down in size to the screws we will be using it is very easy to mistake one for the other. remember that the scres will be in a well without a lot of light so spotting the markings will be more difficult. also what colour is the screw? Black? going to be even harder...

on another point you do not have to push down on a philips screw any harder than a posidrive.

Ehm...Well, yes you do. That is kinda part of the design of the Phillips profile, that when the screw resistance goes up, the screw head will generate a cam-out force. Pozi does not do that. That is the point of the two kinds of screws.

ok, i have highlighted your post to get to what i think is the crux of this problem. its not the screw or what type of head it has , its what it screws into!
No, the problem is that screw heads and plastic threads are being stripped. That is it. The plastic is not a problem, the screw head itself is not a problem, there is no problem other than the one we are trying to solve: screws get stuck and strip.The plastic being used is one of the factors leading to the problem. The type of screw head is another factor leading to the problem. Overtightening is probably a major factor leading to the problem. There are a lot of things that can cause the problem we're having.

on another point you do not have to push down on a philips screw any harder than a posidrive
Yes you do, Phillips were intentionally designed that way. As has been explained many times throughout this thread: if you don't apply a downward force (the more torque required the more downward force required) it will cam out. If the screw is especially tight then you really need to push down in order to get the torque required. All that excess force goes right into the case: you either strip the screwhead because you're not pushing down hard enough or you strip the threads in the well because you are.Posidriv (and all others being proposed) requires no downward force, the bit sits straight in the screw and doesn't cam out no matter how much torque you apply.

Changing the well might solve the problem. Greasing up the screws before inserting them might solve the problem. Ensuring the screws are carefully tightened in assembly so as not to exceed some important threshold might solve the problem. There are many things that may solve the problem, changing the screw head is one of those things that adds no cost and has a very high chance of solving at least the screw head stripping problem.

Face facts, Phillips as designed is the wrong tool for the job.

I have given several examples above for hex key (Allen) based screws that would be appropriate to this project.  They're easy to find and relatively inexpensive.  The drivers for Allen and Torx are obtainable anywhere in many configurations.

Please show actual examples of real screws in Pozidriv that are applicable to this purpose.  I searched McMaster-Carr and they have a few relatively expensive drivers, but no screws.  I did a froogle search for Pozidriv machine screw.  The smallest ones I came back with were 6-32 computer case screws (WAY too large for our device).  They were rather expensive too.

I'm not sure why a few of you want to circle your wagons around Pozidriv, but it's simply not a good option.  It's patented, licensed, relatively obscure/rare, prone to misuse (Phillips & square drivers) and not available in the small screws needed for Pyra production.

So - I think the real decision is between Allen (Hex keys) and Torx.  I'm fine with either one.

Never said better.
I didn't say you said "better". I said you thought it was better. You showed that reasoning when you suggested using Phillips over Pozidrive. You chose Phillips over Pozi because of specific advantages you believed it had over Pozi. When something has advantages over something, it is called "better".

Never said there was no risk of damage.  You need to work on reading comprehension.
I didn't say you said that either. Rather than suggesting I work on my reading comprehension, you need to work on your understanding of the English language.

I said that you suggested we could replace the screws as if there was no repercussion.

Look here: http://www.tfd.com/as+if

You can then expand my sentence to "You suggested we could replace the screws in the same way you would have if there was no repercussion."

And you did exactly that.

-God Ginrai

2078832_700b.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
oh look its a philips screw...... lol
This is CSI, the same show that used VB to create a GUI for tracking someone's IP; The same show that can pinpoint a lungfull of water to the exact location it came from but doesn't know the difference between brewer's yeast and baker's yeast; The same show that can get you a DNA result in an hour.I wouldn't use CSI as a good example of anything in the real world.

I love Red Dwarf!!!!  dont let CSi know of the reflections reflection trick... soon to come on CSI Miami...... lol

Just do it apple style and make the pyra unibody

Then we wouldn't need screws Lol

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Unibody Aluminium :3 I would be so excite for that.

Or Magnesium.. Or any scratch/dent/trauma resistant metal. Shit you could make it out of pure muthafuckin Tungsten!!

Back