Screen Problems

I see the firmware update has been uploaded onto the gp2x archive. Can someone write a .gpu script to copy it into the correct place?

I would also like to know how to install the gp2xkernel.img that comes with the patch20051112. I have figured out that its a bootimage, but I dont want to bork my gp2x right away when guessing where it goes ;)

It's just firmware related. gph announced ;)

and for the first firmware, just copy .img to root and reboot gp2x. then update message box will be shown and firm up autumatically.

EDIT : message box should be shown. that is clue that firmware is being updated.
file will be disapper.

thank you.
I tried that now, but I got no update window...
The gp2xkernel.img disappeared from the sd card, so I assume something happened ;)

sadly the leftside white line is still there.

I just tried copying the file onto the root of the sd card. The file dissapears but no update message is shown

Last edited by a moderator:
so we copy it to the sd it dissapears go to usb on the gp2x copy it over again with the utility and then run it without turning it on and off ?

One thing to try would be to plug the thing into the TV once the cables are released.... see if the white line appears on the TV as well. That would almost instantly prove it to be software.

To me it looks like a cheapo LCD or LCD driver chip where the voltages are not right. I have seen this on other older displays, like real old laptops with passive matrix displays. That wasn't a software problem either, just a shit quality screen.

A)
They aren't going to buy the absolute best screens available, this is a ~$200 range handheld, they have other things to put in it like a processor, human interfaces, etc.... If they spend all the money on making the screen look perfect then they won't have the money for other goodies like TV-Out.

That doesn't mean they'll pick the cheapest screens either, they'll pick according to our needs. What we'll be doing with these things is playing video and the most elite games ever conceived usually at around 20+ FPS. In that short amount of time I can't imagine sitting there searching for imperfections in the distribution of light. SOMETIMES people will notice it but if you want the "perfect handheld" then the GP2X isnt for you. I've seen alot worse issues on commercial handhelds than the GP2X has been reported to have.

You also have the option of TV out, or simply closing your eyes and button mashing, if you prefer.

Until you actually get the unit in your hands and see for yourself whether the GP2X meets your specifications, the fearmongering needs to stop.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

To me it looks like a cheapo LCD or LCD driver chip where the voltages are not right.  I have seen this on other older displays, like real old laptops with passive matrix displays.  That wasn't a software problem either, just a shit quality screen.

A)
They aren't going to buy the absolute best screens available, this is a ~$200 range handheld, they have other things to put in it like a processor, human interfaces, etc.... If they spend all the money on making the screen look perfect then they won't have the money for other goodies like TV-Out.

That doesn't mean they'll pick the cheapest screens either, they'll pick according to our needs. What we'll be doing with these things is playing video and the most elite games ever conceived usually at around 20+ FPS. In that short amount of time I can't imagine sitting there searching for imperfections in the distribution of light. SOMETIMES people will notice it but if you want the "perfect handheld" then the GP2X isnt for you. I've seen alot worse issues on commercial handhelds than the GP2X has been reported to have.

You also have the option of TV out, or simply closing your eyes and button mashing, if you prefer.

Until you actually get the unit in your hands and see for yourself whether the GP2X meets your specifications, the fearmongering needs to stop.

Well the screen on the GP32 BLU didn't have these problems...

Its just all a matter of where their priorities are. GPH has been facing a mob of drooling developers and enthusiasts since before they (prematurely in my opinion) started accepting preorders. They dug themselves into a hole, pushing back release dates... etc... at this point they're resorting to releasing the actual units early, and in the meantime fixing firmware issues so people can download them after-the-fact. Going through a hardware revision at this stage is impossible, and will only complicate things. They're pulling through it, but right now, these minor issues (which may very likely be fixable via firmware) are less than a concern to them.

Okay, so which firmware should I install? The one from the 17th or the one from the 12th? Is it true that the one from the 17th introduces other display problems?
The one from the 17th has nothing to do with LCD. Those are newer version of MP3 player and eBook reader. Yes, they just swaped them out with newer version not bother patching them.

The one from the 12th is supposed to fix the LCD issues, but it also darken the screen and cause wavy screen. You better wait til next time, IMO.

To me it looks like a cheapo LCD or LCD driver chip where the voltages are not right.  I have seen this on other older displays, like real old laptops with passive matrix displays.  That wasn't a software problem either, just a shit quality screen.

A)

I thought these were the same screens as in the BLU+ and if so, then surely these abnormal displays are as the result of software. The HH image that E.D. posted seemed to show that to be the case. What I would like to have seen is another test card in Black & White instead of high contrast colours. Like the kind you see when setting up TV and DVD for home theatre use.

I thought these were the same screens as in the BLU+ and if so, then surely these abnormal displays are as the result of software. The HH image that E.D. posted seemed to show that to be the case. What I would like to have seen is another test card in Black & White instead of high contrast colours. Like the kind you see when setting up TV and DVD for home theatre use.

Well not really. If you look at the lighting on the BLU it is lit from the right side. The GP2X is lit from the bottom so it must be different.

Back