Screen Quality : Anyone With Those Issues ?

Tetedeiench

Still Fresh
On my GP2x, when i'm playing videos ( xvid), i have weird diagonal lines showing on the screen... and it is "flickering" a tad. It is especially visible in the video player menu, which is blue/purple : the bottom of the screen is flickering, as if it was loosing brightness every split second...

Really feels like an old screen whose refresh rate is at 60Hz...

Is that a known issue, or is it local to y gp2x ?

I upgraded it recently with the brand new firmware... the noisy diagonal lines only appears during video playback, but the "flickering" is always there, but in test mode it seems.

Thanks for the info !

Erf :( Hardware fault or software ?

The feeling is really as if the LCD was like a CRT at 60Hz. Plain colors does not seem to have this problem ( T-mode ). However, is is really visible in dark pictures, and in menus like video and apps...

I have this problem since day 1, with the built in kernel...

As a LCD doesn't have a refresh rate in itself... is it really a hardware fault ?

From the moment it hits the loading screen, my GP2X gets weird diagonal lines. I've confirmed that they are not there though with the initial image meaning it's a software fault. It hardly bothers me anyway.

Minkoff posted on Dec 9 2005 at 10:14 AM said:
From the moment it hits the loading screen, my GP2X gets weird diagonal lines. I've confirmed that they are not there though with the initial image meaning it's a software fault. It hardly bothers me anyway.

Yep, but during video playback ?

And does your screen "flicker" when you're in the video menu, selecting the video to play ?

I really want to know if it is a hardware fault or not... this flickering really bother me. The feeling is really like a 60Hz old CRT screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
xafier posted on Dec 9 2005 at 10:15 AM said:
since the 1.0.1 upgrade mines been flickery... they did something thats affected the framebuffer code... it'll be fixed in the next patch hopefully :)

So it seems i'm not the only one.... phew.

I'll try to make a video to show it, but it'll be hard with a crappy webcam :D

Can i have another one confirming this, so that i feel safe ?

It doesn't flicker anywhere. I just get these really, really faint diagonal lines. Someone explained them before I think, and no, no flickering anywhere. I was really paranoid but I'm pretty sure I have 0 hardware faults.

Asking the reseller how long the exchange will take :( My LCD screen image is really crappy, before and after the update.

Minkoff posted on Dec 9 2005 at 11:14 AM said:

Same here, they don't disturb me eather, I mean they are not there the most of the time, only when special color combinations appear, such as in teh loading screen, the green one...

Vimacs posted on Dec 9 2005 at 09:43 AM said:
flickering is a hardware fault, get it replaced.
how can you be so sure?

Doesnt the firmware update cause more flickering and therefore it could be a software issue?

Tetedeiench posted on Dec 9 2005 at 10:37 AM said:
Asking the reseller how long the exchange will take :( My LCD screen image is really crappy, before and after the update.

An exchange will not help you, they all have this issue.

You can make the lines appear more distinctly if you move the machine up and down while holding it. Holding it perfectly still will reduce it quite a bit.

Some people belive the issue is software related and will go away with future firmware fixes due to the test screens having no lines, but that is only true on pure solid colors. Any non solid color will see the lines, so I'm not convinced.

It doesn't render the gp2x useless, but it does make it look cheap.

mysql101 posted on Dec 9 2005 at 01:03 PM said:
Tetedeiench posted on Dec 9 2005 at 10:37 AM said:

An exchange will not help you, they all have this issue.

You can make the lines appear more distinctly if you move the machine up and down while holding it. Holding it perfectly still will reduce it quite a bit.

Some people belive the issue is software related and will go away with future firmware fixes due to the test screens having no lines, but that is only true on pure solid colors. Any non solid color will see the lines, so I'm not convinced.

It doesn't render the gp2x useless, but it does make it look cheap.
I'm not complaining about the scanlines, or even the diagonal lines, as i think they are software problems.

Hoiwever, the flickering really seems like a repetitive loss in power... it's truly weird. I'll make a video in a few hours... perhaps it'll show on it, and you'll tell me if it's a common bug or a hardware bug.

I get flickering on my video playback as well. I also get the diagonal scanlines. And if I move the unit while playing back video, I get vertical scanlines which are very noticable. But I agree. These the scanlines aren't that much of a distraction. The flickering, on the other hand, is.

From what I have read, however, it is a firmware issue and not a hardware issue. At least let's hope so. :)

Steve Warner posted on Dec 9 2005 at 06:57 PM said:
I get flickering on my video playback as well. I also get the diagonal scanlines. And if I move the unit while playing back video, I get vertical scanlines which are very noticable. But I agree. These the scanlines aren't that much of a distraction. The flickering, on the other hand, is.

From what I have read, however, it is a firmware issue and not a hardware issue. At least let's hope so. :)

Let's hope...

I made a video of the flickering. It's crappy, but hey, got a crappy webcam. However, you do see the flickering. Look at the bottom of the screen :

http://www.ocbase.com/images/.temp/flick.avi

Is it the same for you ?

Tetedeiench posted on Dec 9 2005 at 08:05 PM said:
Steve Warner posted on Dec 9 2005 at 06:57 PM said:
I get flickering on my video playback as well.  I also get the diagonal scanlines.  And if I move the unit while playing back video, I get vertical scanlines which are very noticable.  But I agree.  These the scanlines aren't that much of a distraction.  The flickering, on the other hand, is. 

From what I have read, however, it is a firmware issue and not a hardware issue.  At least let's hope so.  :)

Let's hope...

I made a video of the flickering. It's crappy, but hey, got a crappy webcam. However, you do see the flickering. Look at the bottom of the screen :

http://www.ocbase.com/images/.temp/flick.avi

Is it the same for you ?

umm what codec is that? I can't play it :blink:

Back