Screen Problems

The HH-Test is good news. I personally don't think it is a big issue but if something can be made even better I am not going to complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, just got a HH-Test (which kicks out the GPH Linux and displays some pictures) program.

The HH-Test only shows some colored bars, no black and white.

But: If you look at pictures with the GPH firmware, you can see some disturbance and even slight contrast problems (even in color-only-pictures).

The HH-Test did show an absolutely clear image, without a single disturbance (and without the vertical line).

So I think the LCD is fine, it's just the firmware (again... sigh. Good thing we have that good devs in the scene :))

In the screenshot I noticed some imperfections: bottom right a line of maybe four wrong colour pixels.

Also, does HH eliminate the problem with one half of the screen being slightly brighter than the other?

Ok, but is it designed to be a future firmare alternative or is it just a test? If it is a firmware replacement, will it reduce the booting time? (if it is a firmware replacement, i guess it will be like the gp32 : no return to a "OS" after the end of a program, the unit will reset, or am i wrong ?)

What I want to know is if the screen problems are on some units or all of them?
If they are on just some of the units how can the problems be firmware related? The firmware is the same on all units.

Ok, but is it designed to be a future firmare alternative or is it just a test? If it is a firmware replacement, will it reduce the booting time? (if it is a firmware replacement, i guess it will be like the gp32 : no return to a "OS" after the end of a program, the unit will reset, or am i wrong ?)
Correct me if I'm wrong but the last I heard HH won't be a firmware alternative. HH games will start from within Linux but will through some trick close down Linux and work directly on the hardware. After you close the game Linux will have to be restarted. It's possible though that there will be firmware alternatives later on.

Ok, it is just that is the first time i heard about it. (well, the search function didn't accept HH..)
I love the gp32 boot, it is...quick and it never fail.
..can't wait to have my gp2x

In the screenshot I noticed some imperfections: bottom right a line of maybe four wrong colour pixels.

I think that's part of the test ;)
They are meant to be there.

Also, does HH eliminate the problem with one half of the screen being slightly brighter than the other?

Never even had that with my gp2x, I think that's what the first FW updated fixed.
But it's definately not there on HH.

AFAIK it is being planned as an additional firmware (you can select between those two when you turn the unit on).

What I want to know is if the screen problems are on some units or all of them?
If they are on just some of the units how can the problems be firmware related? The firmware is the same on all units.

Well, I don't know exactly if those were the LCD problems GPH was talking about.
I'm currently investigating more about it, but if it does look faulty with GPH Linux but it DOES look fine using direct hardware coding, how can it be a hardware issue?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last I heard HH won't be a firmware alternative. HH games will start from within Linux but will through some trick close down Linux and work directly on the hardware. After you close the game Linux will have to be restarted. It's possible though that there will be firmware alternatives later on.

The HH-Test I got was a binary that closes down Linux and works directly on the hardware, yes.

But I do know a real firmware replacement is in the works which derived from HH, so I guess it IS HH :)

Last edited:
The HH-Test I got was a binary that closes down Linux and works directly on the hardware, yes.

But I do know a real firmware replacement is in the works which derived from HH, so I guess it IS HH :)

does the code restore linux successfully on exit?

Thanks E.D. for the information and the nice image.

Very reassuring to know that the Hardware Hack shows that there aren't any major worries over the screen. :)

Can we have screenshot of this "hh" firmware ?

Sure, it's not a working firmware, it's just an LCD test which bypasses the GPH Linux and runs directly on the hardware.

Don't know if you can notice the difference on a photo, though...

Hi-Res Picture

That test won't show the problem though. All colors are about the same intensity and cover the screen evenly.

To really test it right you will need to display an image like the first one, a white square against a black backdrop.

To me it looks like a cheapo LCD or LCD driver chip where the voltages are not right. I have seen this on other older displays, like real old laptops with passive matrix displays. That wasn't a software problem either, just a shit quality screen.

Can we have screenshot of this "hh" firmware ?

Sure, it's not a working firmware, it's just an LCD test which bypasses the GPH Linux and runs directly on the hardware.

Don't know if you can notice the difference on a photo, though...

Hi-Res Picture

That test won't show the problem though. All colors are about the same intensity and cover the screen evenly.

To really test it right you will need to display an image like the first one, a white square against a black backdrop.

To me it looks like a cheapo LCD or LCD driver chip where the voltages are not right. I have seen this on other older displays, like real old laptops with passive matrix displays. That wasn't a software problem either.

My unit has the same horizontal lines and I was just thinking exactly the same thing.

Back