Screen Problems

chris_r

Ive posted this in a few other thread but I havnt got a definite answer as of yet so I thought Id post a ne thread on the matter.

On my gp2x i get lines across the screen from areas with large changees in contrast eg. from black to white and it will leave a horizontal line across the screen.
I also get the problem where the two halves of the screen are different brightnesses but that should be fixed if i can download the firmware update.

cimg14994lw.jpg

So does anyone else have this problem with horizontal not diagonal lines and does anyone know if its a hardware problem or a firmware problem.

yes, I have the exact same things on mine. uneaven colour distribution on the screen and one pixel wide white lines to the left and top of the screen. :/

I have also notice a "dimming" effect when it is used with my adaptor. The screen is stable if left alone but as soon as I move the menu cursor or, for example, play an .mp3 the screen flickers. It's not major but you can notice it! It's as though there's not quite enough power flowing to the screen. This _only_ seems to happen when used with my mains adapter, it seems rock solid and stable when I use batteries (?)

would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this too??

'yknow, I just cancelled my order. Not ready to deal with bugginess just now. I know it's part of the scene, but I just don't feel like dealing now. I'm going to check it out again in a few months and see where it's at then. Getting myself an iPaq instead to keep me busy.

Later!

I think all units have the one pixel white line, but you know what?

Its really not a big issue. I dont understand how somebody could let it bother them....

Errrr nobody said anything about the white line. Im talking about the horizonta lines you can see in the black part of the screen.

I have also notice a "dimming" effect when it is used with my adaptor. The screen is stable if left alone but as soon as I move the menu cursor or, for example, play an .mp3 the screen flickers. It's not major but you can notice it! It's as though there's not quite enough power flowing to the screen. This _only_ seems to happen when used with my mains adapter, it seems rock solid and stable when I use batteries (?)

That sounds like a cheap adaptor. They don't smooth the power they provide, which leads to disturbances on LCDs (happens with most other devices too, not just with the gp2x)

Last edited:

Its really not a big issue. I dont understand how somebody could let it bother them....

Well, you know what?

It's not a major issue, like I said...but ya know what? It bothers me _slightly_ and what bothers one person doesn't necessarily have to bother another. If it doesn't bother you then don't reply. Just ignore the post and read others that DO interest you.

The reason I replied was not because it's a particularly MAJOR issue with me but because I'm genuinely interested to know whether it is indeed a hardware issue or something more soft and related to the firmware and/or OS screen initialisation.

You're post and the one just before yours are extremely troll-like. I really don't care for your opinion on what you THINK I should and shouldn't find "important" in life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmmm... thousands of people returned PSPs b/c of a few dead pixels, and you don't think an entire row should bother anyone? The main thing is a lot of people who weren't in the scene for the GP32 (and some who were), preordered the GP2X thinking it was going to be "out-of-the-box" playable. It takes time for the device to mature, just like the GP32 and then the BLU+ edition. But in the near future, maybe 4-6 months, it will really start to shine, but many people dropped a large chunk of money on a machine that is a bit crippled at the moment. I think it's understandable why many people are bothered/put off by this. The current (pre Nov.30 release) is really only meant for the hardcore, not people who are looking for an alternative to the PSP or DS, at least not yet.

That sounds like a cheap adaptor. They don't smooth the power they provide, which leads to disturbances on LCDs (happens with most other devices too, not just with the gp2x)

Aha, I see. Well I plan to buy the official adaptor once they become available so hopefully that will fix the "problem".

Thanks

if you can send me that test program I will run it on mine and let you know how mine compares. I have not been bothered by the display - I have the white line but this is going to be fixed (apparently) and I don't know what these diagonal lines are everyone keeps mentioning.

Its not a test program its just a quick image i made in paint and viewed on the photo viewer

Errrr nobody said anything about the white line. Im talking about the horizonta lines you can see in the black part of the screen.
errr....
yes, I have the exact same things on mine. uneaven colour distribution on the screen and one pixel wide white lines to the left and top of the screen. :/

Sorry I mustve skimmed that bit

Well, you know what?

It's not a major issue, like I said...but ya know what? It bothers me _slightly_ and what bothers one person doesn't necessarily have to bother another. If it doesn't bother you then don't reply. Just ignore the post and read others that DO interest you.

The reason I replied was not because it's a particularly MAJOR issue with me but because I'm genuinely interested to know whether it is indeed a hardware issue or something more soft and related to the firmware and/or OS screen initialisation.

You're post and the one just before yours are extremely troll-like. I really don't care for your opinion on what you THINK I should and shouldn't find "important" in life.

because if people didnt post saying things arent that bad, the only people that talk are people complaining which gives the impression that things are worst than they really are.

I wasnt slagging you off in particular as you didnt really complain. I was just giving my opinion as this has been mentioned in various threads.

I get the same ghosting where there's high contrast. Doesn't really bother me.

Was this what loosening the screws at the back was supposed to fix? I haven't tried it as I don't have a screwdriver that fits.

Also wasn't an upcoming firmware fix going to be lowering the brightness of the screen? Maybe this will make the shadows invisible.

I get the same ghosting where there's high contrast. Doesn't really bother me.

Was this what loosening the screws at the back was supposed to fix? I haven't tried it as I don't have a screwdriver that fits.

Also wasn't an upcoming firmware fix going to be lowering the brightness of the screen? Maybe this will make the shadows invisible.

No, loosening the screws was a fix if the joystick was too stiff.

Also, I think that the contrast problem could be fixed with the firmware.

I did some tests with various testing signals.
It looks fine if you have any pictures to look at, only if you have black, it looks greyish.

Looks like the gamma is set too high, which should be fixable with the firmware.

I'm gonna ask the devs who have HH running already :)

Last edited:
Its not a test program its just a quick image i made in paint and viewed on the photo viewer
Duh! Sorry for being so dense. O.K. I've replicated your image and viewed it and would have to say that mine is exactly the same - a deeper black horizontally either side of the white. Hopefully, as ED says this can be tweaked in firmware. I can imagine this might niggle someone, but unless you play a lot of classic pong I don't think it will really be noticeable. Just run Hexen - with that quality I have no problem with the display.
For all I know it might be that these screens take some time to 'bed in' or whatever. Comparing it to the screen in GP32+, supposedly the same component, I think it may be that it is a little brighter, so if that is software controllable it may be possible to turn it down a notch and that may sort it. Sorry - wildly speculating here with absolutely no technical knowledge to back it up.

Okay, just got a HH-Test (which kicks out the GPH Linux and displays some pictures) program.

The HH-Test only shows some colored bars, no black and white.

But: If you look at pictures with the GPH firmware, you can see some disturbance and even slight contrast problems (even in color-only-pictures).

The HH-Test did show an absolutely clear image, without a single disturbance (and without the vertical line).

So I think the LCD is fine, it's just the firmware (again... sigh. Good thing we have that good devs in the scene :))

Okay, just got a HH-Test (which kicks out the GPH Linux and displays some pictures) program.

The HH-Test only shows some colored bars, no black and white.

But: If you look at pictures with the GPH firmware, you can see some disturbance and even slight contrast problems (even in color-only-pictures).

The HH-Test did show an absolutely clear image, without a single disturbance (and without the vertical line).

So I think the LCD is fine, it's just the firmware (again... sigh. Good thing we have that good devs in the scene :))
excellent news.
out of interest- what about the white line on the left hand side? Is that still present in HH?

Back