Screen Problems

I have a game gear, and I also have the contrast/gamma problems on my gp2x's screen. Beleive me, this screen is MUCH better than the game gear's :)

O_RLY-Original.jpg

I had this problem with my sega game gear and sega nomad. It might be a hardware thing but other then comparison to other hand held devices that I don’t know the inner working of I have nothing to back that up.

The gamegear is lit by a small floresent tube, and defused through a frosted plastic thingy, WAY back i needed to replace the light so i kinda know.

Last edited by a moderator:
lit with LEDs from the right side (short side), on the GP2X it is lit with LEDs from the bottom (long side).
What are you talking about, i thought BACKLIT LCDs where lit from the back(hence the name backlit). And LEDs? I think there lit by a electroluminescent panel or a small floresent light?

If you have a Gp2X tilt the top of the screen towards you. You will see 6 small blips of light along the bottom. Those are the backlight LEDs. You can see them along the right side on the GP32. They are White LEDs that run along a light guide (diffuser) that is behind the display. They haven't put bulbs or EL panels in handhelds for quite some time.

Some infos:
Some guys on IRC told me that the LCD is fixed with the first firmware update (BLACK is BLACK and no more ghostlines where there is high contrast).

Problem is: The firmware won't update on mine (and most other) gp2x.
The gp2x just deletes the firmware file, it does not update... strange.

Some infos:
Some guys on IRC told me that the LCD is fixed with the first firmware update (BLACK is BLACK and no more ghostlines where there is high contrast).

Problem is: The firmware won't update on mine (and most other) gp2x.
The gp2x just deletes the firmware file, it does not update... strange.

Thanks for the update at least its not just me.

I think all screens have those problems. But I could be wrong.

You can check for the problems yourself by viewing this image in your gp2x:
testpicture4nj.jpg

Then look for these distortions:
3lines1vi.jpg

#1: Vertical white line on the left side of the LCD screen
#2: Different brightness on the two halves of the screen (noticable in the photo by the line in the middle of the screen).
#3: White areas on black background leaving horizontal lines across the screen.

Here are more images showing the problems and also a 4th problem.

#1: Vertical line on the left side of the LCD screen
line22rw.jpg

#2: Different brightness on the two halves of the screen (noticable in the photo by the line in the middle of the screen).
line39gw.jpg

#3: White areas on black background leaving horizontal lines across the screen.
bad9f7a10c.jpg

#4: Noisy diagonal lines.
4line6zi.jpg

Just got my Gp2X.

I have problems #2 and #3: are both firmware related ?

Reading the thread it appears that #2 is hardware related... :(

Moreover, my screen has a not very visibile darker spot (it can be seen better if I tilt the console a little while looking at it) which grows and distorts if I 'squish' slightly my GP2X: could this last problem being caused by some pressure on the LCD screen due to 'too tight' assembly ? May be unscrewing the back a little could make this disappear (I'll try).

Please clarify what problems are actually HW related, so that I can decide to notify Craig that I want the console to be replaced...

Just got my Gp2X.

Moreover, my screen has a not very visibile darker spot (it can be seen better if I tilt the console a little while looking at it) which grows and distorts if I 'squish' slightly my GP2X: could this last problem being caused by some pressure on the LCD screen due to 'too tight' assembly ? May be unscrewing the back a little could make this disappear (I'll try).

Please clarify what problems are actually HW related, so that I can decide to notify Craig that I want the console to be replaced...

Have you tried to update the firmware weirdocollector? Would be interesting to know if anyone who has updated the firmware has been able to fix problem #2. At the moment Im personally starting to think its software related rather then hardware but I dont think anyone has been able to confirm that yet, maybe some of the korean users can clear this up?

Just got my Gp2X.

Have you tried to update the firmware weirdocollector? Would be interesting to know if anyone who has updated the firmware has been able to fix problem #2. At the moment Im personally starting to think its software related rather then hardware but I dont think anyone has been able to confirm that yet, maybe some of the korean users can clear this up?

Not yet: I hope that in the end it will reveal itself as a FW issue, but that dark spot on the screen it's still worrying me a lot (I've written privately to Craig about it).

Not yet: I hope that in the end it will reveal itself as a FW issue, but that dark spot on the screen it's still worrying me a lot (I've written privately to Craig about it).

Let me know what happens. I notice the black spot in the centre very rarely but it happens sometimes when Im moving the joystick on the menus. The only thing that really bothers me is one side of the screen being brighter than the other and the lines mentioned in this thread.

What we need is a HH test that displays just a black screen with a white block in the centre rather than colours then we will know for sure. Im going to see if I can find some code for it tonight Im sure its not too hard to get working on the GP2X... Unless someone wants to help me? :)

Okay, I just got the first batch of gp2x here, they all have Firmware 1.01 installed - and there is NO MORE blurry gray - the screen is BLACK where it should be :)

Also, the ghosting lines have disappeared, so this REALLY is a software issue :)

Great!

Okay, I just got the first batch of gp2x here, they all have Firmware 1.01 installed - and there is NO MORE blurry gray - the screen is BLACK where it should be :)

Also, the ghosting lines have disappeared, so this REALLY is a software issue :)

Great!

What about the diagonal noise lines?

Now that the screen is black is the display dimmer?

I noticed that when you first turn on the console the lines aren't there. Then part way through the boot sequence they start. It is almost as if a module is loaded that causes interference. I have a guess that something is activating the TV-out in the startup and this is interfering with the LCD somehow causing noise. Having TV out active and the LCD at the same time may be causing some sort of noise.

I seemed to get the diagonal lines when something was loading, it kind of helped, knowing whether something was loading or it had crashed.

I noticed that when you first turn on the console the lines aren't there. Then part way through the boot sequence they start. It is almost as if a module is loaded that causes interference.

Yes, this is what I'm seeing, and that's pretty much the conclusion I came to. The fact that the lines aren't always present makes me think it's not a hardware issue.

maybe too much drain in batteries,,,,

That could certainly be a cause. I'm going to try a regulated power supply tomorrow, and I'll see what happens then.

I noticed that when you first turn on the console the lines aren't there. Then part way through the boot sequence they start. It is almost as if a module is loaded that causes interference.

Yes, this is what I'm seeing, and that's pretty much the conclusion I came to. The fact that the lines aren't always present makes me think it's not a hardware issue.
It's the exact opposite for me. There're contrast lines on the black gp2x screen only; from the green boot loading screen onwards, there are no longer any problems with an updated FW.

Does nobody get any horizontal scanlines (like those you can switch on in some emus) all over the screen?

If my gp2x is shaking, I get massive scanlines all over the screen, which is really disturbing!
If I hold the unit still (i.e. lying on a table) these lines arent visible...

Could that have anything to do with the batteries I`m using (1700mha, until my Ansmann arrive)
I hope it`s either batteries or faulty display driver, as it`s really annoying, it`s the thing that bothers me the most atm :(

Quiest - do you mean if you shake it (don't know why you would want to) the scanlines appear ? I have tried shaking mine and the display is as steady as a rock. Sounds like a dodgy connection.

It just little movement, like when you press a button or move the stick, the gp2x gets slightly moved - or shaked, and then the scanlines appear.

Anyone noticed the screen kinda pulsing or flickering when playing mp3's?

Doesn't do it anywhere else.

Also sometimes the 2x hangs at the green loding screen when i turn it on, cycle the power and its ok.

Back