Rot Season 1 Round 2 - Submit Scores Here - Deadline Feb 28 2011 (Last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got some time to play the Parodius. Its fun, but some parts are pretty annoying, like the dancing girl.

Parodius: 124,600 LGR

Sadly, I don't think I'll get to give it another go. Glad I was able to get a handful of hours in on it.

Tickles said:
I can't believe how long it took me to work out how to avoid the giant spinning laser at the end of stage four. By the way is anyone else starting to get really annoyed with the talking bits between stages? My Pandora's buttons take more abuse during them than any other part of the game :lol:
I keep spamming start and the action buttons during those sequences in the hope that someday the game finally understands I want to skip them. :p

Did you ever try climbing up the wall above the first door between the three turrets and the virtual zone? You get an arena fight followed by a cheesy game ending.

I feel like you're about to beat my highscore and I'm stuck here writing a conference paper with little time to do something about it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Something stupid happened tonight.

I was playing contra while waiting on my train. I had reached the boss of level four in a near perfect run and decided to create a savestate for future practice and continued to fight the boss. At the point that I reached the final phase of the boss fight my train arrived so I paused my game, closed my pandora and got in.

Upon opening my unit again I noticed my savestate had been reloaded (oh crap :( , the R button, how could I forget). Upon unpausing the game the emulator was extremely laggy because my CPU was still downclocked so I immediately died. I waited for the framerate to recover, reloaded again and continued the boss-fight which went identical as before (perfect run), defeated him and continued to beat my high score with a new score of 270.100.

My question to you guys. Is this a valid high score as I accidentally reset to the start of the boss-fight (to my own disadvantage, undoing a perfect run) or is this run too tainted to enter (After all I did load a save-state)?

Naturally, I feel obliged to myself to beat this score in a single straight run and eliminate all doubt, but time is running out, so I might not manage.

-Caine.

Caine, I'd say that's cool with me. But I want you to beat it all the same. ;)

As for me, I've been playing Parodius. I used to play Life Force an awful lot on the NES, and I have to say that I like this game a lot too. Oddly, I never got into the Gradius (Gradii?) games. I'll have to give those a shot now. I forgot how much I like this style of game. My score is below, but I'm going to beat that before the deadline.

Parodius

179,100 David Bowman

<edit> I find it utterly annoying how the game's difficulty increases exponentially when you have a lot of power ups.

Caine said:
Lame excuses
Just kidding
tongue.gif
I have no problem allowing it.

Parodius DA!

dancing lady is sexy :)
i'll return with more than 80.000 points :)

goodluck!

163.700 164.100 201.700

237.600 - end of story - :) it ain't fun anymore ...killed by
crazy bees and ugly devils drives me mad :angry:

ifn3if.png

Tickles said:
Caine said:
Lame excuses
Just kidding
tongue.gif
I have no problem allowing it.
Nice summary ;) But, thanks. As my main rival, your opinion matters to me most.

However, if you can do it once you can do it again: 273723 Fully legit this time.

Damnit, all the high scorers are coming out now! For me, I finally managed to get Pentarou as far as the eagle boss (and a bit further). I should be able to beat this score, but I'm quite pleased with it so I'll put it up before I forget it:

Parodius Da!
151800 (switched back to Vic Viper)
165500 (back to Pentarou!)

@Caine I'd say savestates are permissable, if for example you don't have time to play a full session in one go. I'd say this is a special case of that. What we don't want is people creating savestates so they can cheat by reloading - you didn't do that, you created a savestate because your train came. I think that's the key - the intent when you make the savestate. I don't think savestates normally give you much benefit anyway - I find it hard to get back into the zone on starting at a save state.

Well, I'm glad I managed to beat that score. It just didn't feel right.

I have no issue with using savestates to just suspend your game until you have time to continue but loading back to a savestate for any reason but continuing where you stopped would be cheating (it's fine for practice but not for real scoring runs).

This case was a bit on the border since it was an accidental savestate load and I didn't undo any mistakes. Well, problem solved anyway.

<edit>Wow, this is turning out to be just the impulse I needed. Almost cleared the game on my last run. 321.495
</edit>

Parodius Da - 187,600

Flying pigs, farting sumos??? Mad, mad game lol

What way do most people grab the screenshot of the score - play again, and just show the value on the highest score?
Mal

Caine said:
Contra 330.031
Wow, well done. I don't think I'm going to have time for another run, and even if I did I don't think I'd get close to this. Looks like the round is yours, sir
smile.gif

euro48k said:
Parodius DA!
237.600 - end of story - :) it ain't fun anymore ...killed by
crazy bees and ugly devils drives me mad :angry:

ifn3if.png

Nice score! Are you playing the arcade version?

Gah, damnit. I was pretty happy with that score and thought it got me well into the top three - only for the ground to shift under me right at the end!

/throws toys out of perambulators etc.

Well done chaps! Looks like the best man won in the end :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back