Rot Season 1 Game 1 - Submit Scores Here - Deadline Feb 12 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
levi said:
You've almost beat my score though - and I was third until Mal put in his score in!

I swear I don't know how you guys are beating that cart. Oh well, I am only playing this for fun after all.
Everytime I manage it I don't really know how I did it... you've just gotta get in the zone and take out everything ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eight Bit said:
MonkeyChops said:
Yea my 8 month old trys to grab my pandora out of my hands to chew on it, then throws a fit when I wont let him, makes willow extra fun. :)

Just wait until he/she is 2,5 years old like mine :)

got a 3 year old boy and a 5 year old girls also, our house is a toy tornado. :D

edit-

Willow

70,200 MonkeyChops

getting close tickles :)

levi said:
You've almost beat my score though - and I was third until Mal put in his score in!

I swear I don't know how you guys are beating that cart. Oh well, I am only playing this for fun after all.
I didn't even reach the cart with that score :) But yeah, I'm still having trouble beating the cart as well. I should have started practice on this before yesterday.

> I swear I don't know how you guys are beating that cart. Oh well, I am only playing this for fun after all.

I was in the same boat ( well, cart :) ) for ages, thinking it was near impossible to pass on one credit.

Your best bet is to try to save the game just before the guy jumps off the building on to the cart. Try to have 4 health, and both lives.

Now, re-play this part as often as you can - even if you die, you have the 2nd life to keep going to get an idea of how long it lasts.

Some things I found...
- Always be powering up when no-one is on-screen
- Practice taking down fired arrows ( button bashing in the right direction )
- To take down archers at the back of the cart with a powered up sword, stand right at the back of the cart.
- When the soldiers are jumping, button bashing really helps
- Always press UP when jumping to hit the birds
- When an archer appears from the front of the cart, you seem to have quite a few seconds before having to take them down. It's key to remove them ( they can be a right PITA ), but if other elements are on-screen try to deal with them first.
- If there are too many elements on-screen including birds, you can easily dodge the birds rocks. Note that the birds come back for a 2nd dive though.
- If possible, try to hit the birds and collect the coins on the cart - you'll need the $$$ for purchasing stuff in the next level

The sky in the background will increasingly turn red as you get nearer the end.

Just get into a flow - keep watching that video I posted before, from about 6:45 on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LumZP0rpoDM

When you complete it a few times with using the saved game, then try a complete run.

Mal

hmm, I suppose that's a legal way of using savestate but I've been starting from the beginning every time just to be fair. I wasn't sure redoing hard parts for practice from savestate was kosher, but I guess this league can't dictate how people play games that they aren't posting scores of. What does everyone think of playing 2 player games to get in double the action? Kosher?

IMHO using savestate to practice is fine* (I use a continue sometimes to practice) and therefore two player is fine if you're not submitting scores. But for a score run everyone should be the same, as you may be able to get further working as a team than on your own and in turn end up with a higher score.

It may be worth posting your two player score though, as the idea might catch on and then you could have a two player league as well.

*Actually thinking about it I'm not so sure as not everyone may have this option. While the league cannot dictate what you do outside of it it is against the spirit to use this to your advantage if not everybody can.

On arcade games like Willow it's probably not an issue unless someone is actually using the coin op to play, as I believe MAME offers a savestate on all platforms. But other emulators can vary and of course if you're playing the original you won't have the option.

@Monkeychops: you fluked that score the same as I did, you know you'll never do it again :p

nah, I had 3-4 scores in the 65k area. I almost beat the level 3 boss to get that last score. Prob give it another go tonight. :)

I was referring to having a 2 player game going so that you could get more scoreable games in at a time. It obviously wouldn't be fair with a co-op game but with a game like willow, it's just playing 2 games at once. Yay or Nay?

I don't see a problem with that, although I don't see the advantage either. If your player one gets to the cart before losing a life, you'll then need to go all the way back to the start as player two. I'd rather just get on with it personally, but each to their own :)

MonkeyChops said:
Eight Bit said:
MonkeyChops said:
Yea my 8 month old trys to grab my pandora out of my hands to chew on it, then throws a fit when I wont let him, makes willow extra fun. :)

Just wait until he/she is 2,5 years old like mine :)

got a 3 year old boy and a 5 year old girls also, our house is a toy tornado. :D

edit-

Willow

70,200 MonkeyChops

getting close tickles :)

I'll shut up :)

MonkeyChops said:
hmm, I suppose that's a legal way of using savestate but I've been starting from the beginning every time just to be fair. I wasn't sure redoing hard parts for practice from savestate was kosher, but I guess this league can't dictate how people play games that they aren't posting scores of. What does everyone think of playing 2 player games to get in double the action? Kosher?
I had been meaning to save state when I get to the cart with both lives, full health, but since I can only manage that about 1 time in 10, every time I think, screw practice, I'm going for a score now!

Maybe I should reenable continues to give me some practice. To avoid temptation, I'd turned them off. Two player might be an idea, but it's not something I've tried yet. Fundamentally, I don't have a problem with it.

level 4 is tough and is now the target :D

Willow

100,200 MonkeyChops

I'm real sorry Monkeychops but...

Willow
102,800 Tickles

I think I must play better under pressure :D

I wasn't sure I'd beaten you until I got on here, I knew you'd got over 100,000 but I couldn't remember exactly what.

It is hard as hell after the dragon isn't it? Those spear guys coming out of the tents are a nightmare.

doh! :angry:

oh, it's _so_ on now!

;)

edit- emphasis added

just did a quick run through while at work (yea I'm a bad boy) and got to level 4 but died on the first mountain of bomb throwers. ugh only got 95k.

The cart level has been cracked!!! Now to figure out a strategy for that next guy firing out a weapon.

New score - 58,350!!! ( OK, not so good compared to the 100K's, but I'm getting there :) )

MonkeyChops said:
doh!
mad.gif

oh, it's _so_ on now!

wink.gif

edit- emphasis added

just did a quick run through while at work (yea I'm a bad boy) and got to level 4 but died on the first mountain of bomb throwers. ugh only got 95k.
What happened to conceding when I got to level 4?
laugh.gif

Edit: @ Mal Duffin - jump! ;)

> @ Mal Duffin - jump! ;)

I got it now :) I was actually nearly breaking 70K and getting on to the boss after the fish ( I had the gold magic ), and the computer went into standby mode - by the time I powered up and resumed, and had to enter the login password a few times ( panic made me enter it wrong lol ), I was dead!!!

Will have a few more goes now, with the power cable in :)

Tickles said:
What happened to conceding when I got to level 4?
laugh.gif

I got there first, you concede :)

-edit
ok, yea I might just concede. my game is not on tonight. I died twice on level 1! I think I'm rushing it or something. oh well, bed time.

One other tip for anyone on the cart level...

The soldiers with swords aim at the position you're on the cart when they appear on-screen. If you move left or right from that position, you can easily get them before they get you. If you stay in the same position, they are a lot tougher to get and are more likely to inflict damage on you.

For later levels...
For the guy with the long chain weapon, power up and just wait until he enters his few frames of pre-fire, then you fire and power jump up.

For the dragon, make sure you have the dragon magic - just power up and wait until he fires flames, and then high-jump and attack him.
Mal

Damn Mal, sounds like your getting pretty far, I might have to settle for 3rd place :(

Are you getting to level 3 with 2 lives?

-edit
had better luck tonight

Willow
110,250 MonkeyChops

yea, those spear guys suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back