[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

Well, Mame-of-Thrones is equally out'd by the increasing number of non-MAME games. It's also interesting that you spoofed MAME4all, when you based on PanMAME (or maybe the joke is just lost on me).

Also, I never quite got the "4All" tag that seemed to get applied to a few emus.

I think something like "The Tournament Hub" would feel better, but at the end of the day, it's not really my product to brand :)

Edit: What about "JOT" - for "Jeff's Online Tournament"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to pad in a few more genres and popular requests..

Added: Street Fighter 2 ("sf2.zip" version)

Added: Ghosts n' Goblins ("gng.zip" version)

Surely thats got to tempt a few people.

Sorry milkshake, you've got a few marquees to find :)

jeff

edit:

I was originally using Mame4All but somethign was annoying the crap out of me, I forget what, so I moved onto PanMAME instead... after I'd already commited to Compo4All :)

Now, Compo4all is goofy, but it does adequately describe it -- competition for all? (all people, all platforms, whatever.)

So I have been considering just goinf with "C4A" and "Compo4all" as the brand, but what do I know :)

Uuuuh... gng... evil game :D

BTW:

Any easy way to change the syncing?

The more games you add, the longer it takes to play games...

I played a round of LadyBug, made a highscore, quit the game to submit, then it synced ALL the games, restarted it, synced ALL the games again... took about 45 seconds just to play another round of LadyBug.

How about that:

1. On first start, connect to the server. Sync individual games when you select it, not all at once.

2. When you start a game, the launcher could make checksums of all highscore files on your SD Card.

3. When game has been quit, check all hiscore files for changes and sync all those that have changed.

Would that be feasable?

Yep that is my plan entirely, just not gotten to it; but I agree, the time is taking too long so I need to prioritize that little modification.

That and the standalone profile editor .. I'll get c4a-mame, c4a manager updates out soon!

jeff

So I have been considering just goinf with "C4A" and "Compo4all" as the brand, but what do I know :)
Okay, I'll update my UI intro :)

How about that:

1. On first start, connect to the server. Sync individual games when you select it, not all at once.

2. When you start a game, the launcher could make checksums of all highscore files on your SD Card.

3. When game has been quit, check all hiscore files for changes and sync all those that have changed.

Would that be feasable?
My UI will sync pretty much like this - hopefully. I've not got to the part where you actually launch games yet :)

FWIW .. you can do the old 'iwconfig wlan0 power off' sort of deal to speed it up; its not sending much data (what, a few hundred bytes each request?), and not much of a dialog (http post and response) .. should be pretty quick; but along the way theres a few layers that sit and check for 'yeup, transaction looks done' ... but faster wifi makes it go fast. (I test on desktop of course, and from desktop to server to do all the scans takes milliseconds..)

Its probably worse for you than for me, given the server is near me, and far from you :)

(When working on my Bandit game engine (WIP!), I found the real-time lag client<->server wasn't too bad for me, but from Germany, its hideous making the game unplayable unless I extrapolate like a madman. Then I read about how Valve does it for TF2 and it makes me want to cry, the level of complexity they have to do to make long distance feal local..)

jeff

OMG, Ghost & Goblins, Hell Yeah!

Now we're talking. Keep em coming Jeff. Time to take the #1 spot :p

Chris

This is so freaking awesome! Just got my Pandora yesterday :lol: This was one of the first apps on there.

I also love that each month the scores "reset". My moment is here!

Alright, I found a way one could potentially "game" the system.

In Street Fighter II specifically, you can keep entering credits at the continue screen, and you pick up where you left off in both the game and keep the points.

Basically, even though I only got to the second stage, I kept my points going up by inserting a ton of credits and just playing for a while. No real skill needed.

Now I'm second place! I certainly don't deserve that though.

If only there was some way to limit how many credits could be "inserted" per game.

oh yeah, forgot about that :)

One of these days I may add an option to limit how many quarters can go in, but that could be more annoying than anything; maybe I should pull SF2 out (just as with King of Dragons..)

jeff

For now.. honour system .. 1 quarter only for SF2/KoD ;)

I still think you should make it possible to for the launcher to select the coin limit. (as dictated by the game config on the server)  That way for games like Galaxian where it makes no difference you can set an infinite limit and avoid annoyance,  while sill allowing it to be a limiting factor in games like SF2 or KoD, to make the high scores meaningful.

It would also mean that if you wanted to (for example) do a special tournament run,  like 'best score you can reach on a single coin'  you would only need to add a new game configuration to the server which specifies the relevant number of coins to allow.

- Neelix

I finally got my Pandora. yaaaaay! To celibrate, is it possible to make Outrun happen? I want to remember I used to be quite a mean Outrun player =D
If your intention is to play outrun at all on the Pandora, then there is good news for you: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=cannonball_ptitseb

As for c4a and highscore-competition: I think Outrun is too demanding to be run in c4a-mame.
Why couldn't Cannonball itself be added?

Not sure if there is a reason it couldn't.

By the way, Thanks for Ladybug.

Any chance for Frogger soon?

Also, would REALLY LOVE City Connection.  I kick royal ass at that game!

And I don't play SF2 or KOD anyway, so the coin limit is no issue for me.

Neelix .. yeah, good point. Probably an obvious one but I dont' sleep much :) I was thinking of just hardcoding in one, if I can make it stable (ie: game starts up, wait 5s, insert a coin automatically, and disable the coiner button entirely, sort of hack); I coudl add a -coin X sort of option, which again makes it a bit cheatable, but theres already a lot of ways to cheat so why worry now.. only so much we can do, before spending all the time worrying about that silly facet of life, instead of the fun parts.

So yeah, a configurable coin limit may be the way to go.. let you press the button X times, and then disable the button thereafter. Where X is normally 0 (no limit), but coudl be 1, or 3, or some-N.

I'm rather assuming people are not abusing dip switches either; I'll have to remove them, too, when I get a minute.

Maybe I shoudl enlist mcobit to be in charge of the mame build I use, since its really just panmame _anyway_, that way he'd be the maintainer of both, save me having to track changes.

mcobit.. you watching this thread? how about it.. can I make a request for a few panmame mame build changes, you could #ifdef them in and build a c4a mame binary, or your own panmame binary, then just stick it up for me to download :)

jeff

edit: Kumaki .. could probably add frogger pretty easily; we're at the point now (especially with Asmo's pile of saves!) that adding games ios a 2 min addition, + me trying to get a score for 20 mins to maike sure it actually works ;) I'm just worried now over.. I coudl drop in 100 games, but that breaks our website usability, and the launcher usability; we need to add genre filters to the launchers and website before I go too hogwild.

But I'll try to add Burger Time and Frogger and some others soon. And anythign pmprog wants, I need to go back up and check his submissions, see if I missed it or not.

OKay, we're back in major business now :)

Burger time is back in, working great

Black Tiger is back in.. someone get a hiscore so we can know for sure its okay, but looks good to me.

So we need marquee artwork for..

- black tiger

- burger time

- ghosts n goblins

- ladybug

- raiden

- sf2

Milkshake can maybe do it, or if someone has time, go find the arcade marquees in google, and photoshop them down to the size needed and send over to milkshake :)

This enough to keep you guys busy for this month, or should I drop in a dozen more games?

jeff

we need to add genre filters to the launchers and website before I go too hogwild.
Can you keep me updated with any API changes regarding these please?
Sure, of course; I doubt any API changes however.
The curgameslist function already returns the genre, so its up to you and milkshake to implement filtering as you see fit ;)

muahuahua!

jeff

Yeah, I'll have a look for some of them later (if I'm not too engrossed in UI coding) :)

Looking forward to booting up Burger Time and SF2 :)

I'm not sure if I love Burger Time, or hate it :)

On the one hand, the nitpicking over a single pixel when going up/down ladders is bloody annoying; on the other, I love the fact the maze are a little irregular and vary each level; on the business hand, its a pretty manic gqame, like most in that timeframe.. stressful to play. (Ladybug really stresses me out :)

I have rarely any time to play though, but we're getting a pretty good library up :)

jeff

Back