[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

It certainly might be forbidden to tell that some of those might work, yes.

Have a look into the PanMAME thread for tips and tricks to convert your romset to 0.106

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to say that I'm enjoying this immensely.  I'm third on the Frogger leader board now...but that's not important.  Where's my bronze medal?  No but seriously....skeezix and mcobit (and staff?) have really done wonders with this thing.  It's really fun to "compete" with others on high scores.  I'm really digging this thing...Ohhh Dig Dug~~~~~>

Great work thanks !

I have a few questions :

- I can't make Pulstar work, is it normal ? I added neogeo.zip in the rom directory.

Maybe my version is not good though.

- I want to change the path of the roms, I should change this line but i'm not sure what part :

dir_rom /mnt/utmp/c4a-mame/rom:/mnt/utmp/c4a-mame/share/advance/rom

- what version of Duke Nukem works ? Dosbox one ?

- in the C4A frontend, could the list of the games scroll down with the dpad when I want to select games beyond Pulstar ?

Thanks !

I just want to say that I'm enjoying this immensely.  I'm third on the Frogger leader board now...but that's not important.  Where's my bronze medal?  No but seriously....skeezix and mcobit (and staff?) have really done wonders with this thing.  It's really fun to "compete" with others on high scores.  I'm really digging this thing...Ohhh Dig Dug~~~~~>
I'm behind C4A .. the 'frameworks' (laughably, if I can call it that ;) , client, c4a-mame, etcMilkshake did the gorgeous website we've got up at http://c4a.openpandora.org/

mcobit - the PanMAME porter, and we use PanMAME for c4a-mame

NearTao helped with merging in some nasty C# code crazy awesome people have done in another project, getting us a pile of games support.

pmprog - working on a new graphical frontend for c4a-mame and/or indie-titles and/or whatever :)

.. and anyone else -- its an open system, anyone is welcome to contact me to make a new front end, use the API to work with it or whatever

Most importantly, everyone whose playing, for without enthusiasm this would've never gotten past the 'does anyone like this?' stage I kicked it off at in post#1 :)

jeff

Great work thanks !

I have a few questions :

- I can't make Pulstar work, is it normal ? I added neogeo.zip in the rom directory.

Maybe my version is not good though.

- I want to change the path of the roms, I should change this line but i'm not sure what part :

dir_rom /mnt/utmp/c4a-mame/rom:/mnt/utmp/c4a-mame/share/advance/rom

- what version of Duke Nukem works ? Dosbox one ?

- in the C4A frontend, could the list of the games scroll down with the dpad when I want to select games beyond Pulstar ?
Hopefully others can jump in, I'm on limited time budget this moment..
Pulstar does work (or used to ;) ; its the version of the board I have in my basement, but it is also one of the more common 'distributions' floating around I'm sure.

The rom path is in the config file; I don't recall if it can be multiple paths or just one, but you can certainly point it to the panmame/rom path and thus have both emus living in one dir

Duke Nukem .. I'm not clear offhand, but I think the C4A version is not yet posted to repo; they're working out _license_ details, as the initial release will be (I'm guessing) a small $ware that includes the actual game assets. But don't quote me, as I'm nothing to do with it, beyo9nd facilitating setup.

c4a-frontend -- it shoudl scroll down when you use the dpad to pick the buttons, no? I'm not putting too much effort into c4a-fe since it likely will get replaced by pmprog's looking awesome upcoming frontend; since I'm on limited timeframes due to babies, I try to spend my time where its not goign to be thrown away :)

jeff

You can look into the logfile in tmp, maybe there is a clue what the problem could be.

Code:
=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/SD2/pandora/desktop/compo4all-mame.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : ISO
APPDATADIR      : /media/SD2/pandora/appdata/c4a-mame
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : scripts/start.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/c4a-mame"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SD2/pandora/appdata/c4a-mame=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/c4a-mame=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/c4a-mame"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( scripts/start.sh  ) ----------
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/utmp/c4a-mame/.advance': File exists
omapsdl: opened tslib touchscreen
omapsdl: in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)
omapsdl: in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 16 events (type 00000023)
omapsdl: skip /dev/input/event5 as ts
omapsdl: found 3 evdev device(s).
omapsdl: detected 800x480 'lcd' (0) screen attached to fb 1 and overlay 1
sfix.sfx     NOT FOUND
sm1.sm1      NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.
Python module path - adding ' ./depends '
REM: Invoking './bin/advmame pulstar'
[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( scripts/start.sh  ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/c4a-mame': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 2

If those two missing files are not in your rom, you need to find one that has them.

If those files are missing in a rom or bios, even clrmame won't be able to magically make them appear ;)

We should talk to djwillis .. I wonder if scummvm scores could work here ;)

Hmm, I should modify Gargoyle to support c4a, for scott adams and magnetic scrolls.. how sick is that? Anyone play old text adventures ;) ?

jeff

Ooohh! c4a hooks into Gargoyle! Even I could compete, then :)

The rom path is in the config file; I don't recall if it can be multiple paths or just one, but you can certainly point it to the panmame/rom path and thus have both emus living in one dir
FWIW, it's in the appdata folder (pandora/appdata/c4a-mame for now) in an '.advance' folder called 'advmame.rc' (and because it's a 'dot' folder it'll be hidden by default when you look for it). It's got a lot of lines in it, but if you scroll down a page or so there's are various lines beginning dir_ which describe the folders to use - so far I've only altered my 'dir_rom' folder to include my usual rom folders - you can add a colon (':') and another path, or as many paths you need, comma separated.

Regarding text adventures, I used to be into z-code adventures. What's the Pandora way of playing z-code games? Do we Frodo, or someway else? I should really get back into those now I've got a proper keyboard on the move again.

Gargoyle (http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=gargoyle.skeezix.0001) is excellent for quite a lot of text adventure formats. It uses frotz as a backend for z-code stuff, but also does a bunch of other (all of which I don't remember off the top of my head). There is a separate frotz pnd somewhere too, but if I recall correctly it was rather spotty in function.

EDIT: Now I see that Skeezix mentions that it does Scott Adams and Magnetic Scrolls, too. And Gargoyle is indeed ported by...Skeezix :D

I don't know. Text adventures, and games like Space Quest, have a limited number of points available, which means as soon as somebody registers the top score, they can never be beaten, and that's just not competitive

Back