Release Rebirth Entry - OpenDune 0.7

just for curiosity, why is required that kernel ?

Last edited by a moderator:
because timidity doesnt seem to work correctly with the old kernel, it just crashes the game if its enabled on the westwood logo.

I asked because I'm on the old kernel and I'm actually using xcom with midi working... but maybe it is used in a different way

On a side note, I wonder why the re-hash of a 92' game takes so much power to run correctly with sound - Most of the other ports run fine even at 500 Mhz.

It's a shame the sound is imperfect. It makes Dosbox necessary in order to play this classic in the best conditions.

Yeah, but it is because of the way they use timidity. The game needs the whole deamon packaged and running in the background using it as the synth instead of handing that work off to a library like sdlmixer :(

Just a side note this game is a open engine rewrite not a static recompile of the x86 binaries, so that could also be a reason for any speed issues, though it only seems to be sound that slows this down.

I think I tested this when I originally packaged DUNE up and remember it making no difference then either.

ah well I don't know how else to improve the sound I'm afraid.

I already spoke to them when I was porting it, there wont be any sort of updates in the near future anyway (the most up to date version being from November 2011.

they helped me get the sound midi music in the first place (as well as aTc).

if you wanna ask in their forums then that might help, but I'm not a native code programmer, I only can manage web languages.

actually I just found these patches which might help one of them uses fluidsynth instead of alsa for the midi music.

http://forum.opendun...c.php?f=8&t=187

I dont know how to apply the patches and I dont have any time at the moment but if someone wants to do this and give it a try :) or wait and I might try and do it when I have some free time.

assuming pandora works with fluidsynth.

ok, for now I will gladly wait :D I need to finish something else first, and I don't even know how to start with this... :unsure:

Anyway if nothing will happen for too much time I can maybe give a try, but it will be a very slow process... -_-

actually I just found these patches which might help one of them uses fluidsynth instead of alsa for the midi music.

http://forum.opendun...c.php?f=8&t=187

I dont know how to apply the patches and I dont have any time at the moment but if someone wants to do this and give it a try :) or wait and I might try and do it when I have some free time.

assuming pandora works with fluidsynth.

Thanks for the follow-up. Not sure who can help on this at this stage - but I think there's interest from several members here to get the sound working.

Back