Release TiMidity++

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
Note: This is not to be confused with sebt3's MIDI Installer, which installs scripts + sounds for game music. sebt3's installer is actually a pre-requisite to mine, as it provides sounds & Timidity config. So install it first.

This release contains a complete build of TiMidity++, however it is focused on the sole task of running as an ALSA daemon. This makes it appear as a MIDI device to a sequencer such as Seq24, turning your MIDIs into musics.

For now, it needs to be run once per session. It may prompt for your password to load snd-seq, but apart from that will appear to do nothing. After running it, you can launch Seq24 and start playing. (To confirm it's loaded, right click a Seq24 sequence and you should see TiMidity ports under Midi Bus). It currently stutters heavily under not so heavy load... more work to be done.

Thanks to sebt3 with cameos from Farox and mash-system.

[update] Now contains GUI. It's late and I'll fix this post up later, in the meantime please see here for full info and download:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/59041-timidity-2-13-2-port

Seeking expert advice on audio/midi buffering to alleviate the stutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice one gruso

PND installs okay and i can see ports in seq24 but still no sound?

hi was trying to use my own sequence. also when firing up daemon got a strange message about malicious program and mouse? not been able to repeat it.

-------

rm: cannot remove `/tmp/cpuspeed': No such file or directory

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon:

/dev/loop3

Filetype is Squashfs

sudo mount -t squashfs /dev/loop3

mounting union!

Filesystem is vfat

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

WARNING Guessing APPDATADIR=

(gksudo:5396): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_draw_pixbuf: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192

ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 32768, period size 8192 bytes

TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode

Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3

We need aconnectgui to make these ALSA midi connections a lot more sensible ..

Mildly out of my depth here. I'm about to try it all on a fresh firmware install. It occurs to me that you are running HF4, wonder if that's a factor?

hi tried with my hf5 card but timidity does not want to start -

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/PANDORA1/pandora/menu/apps//timidity-alsa-daemon.pnd -e scripts/timidity.sh -b timidity

LoopMountedon:

/dev/loop3

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

/dev/loop3 on /mnt/pnd/timidity type squashfs (ro)

Filesystem is vfat

Mounting the Union FS using /media/PANDORA1/pandora/appdata/timidity as Write directory:

mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs=/media/PANDORA1/pandora/appdata/timidity=rw+nolwh:/mnt/pnd timidity=rr none /mnt/utmp/timidity

none on /mnt/utmp/timidity type aufs (rw,si=6722a637,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/timidity type aufs (rw,si=6722a637,noplink)

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

WARNING Guessing APPDATADIR=cp: cannot stat `/etc/timidity/timidity.cfg': No such file or directory

/etc/timidity/eawpats-PANDORA1.cfg: No such file or directory

timidity: Can't read any configuration file.

Please check /mnt/utmp/timidity/share/timidity/timidity.cfg

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

cleanup done

That sounds like you haven't installed sebt3's MIDI package yet. (It's a pre-requisite, but I only edited that into the first post later on - sorry 'bout that.) I just fell into the exact same trap on a fresh HF5 card a minute ago. :)

That sounds like you haven't installed sebt3's MIDI package yet. (It's a pre-requisite, but I only edited that into the first post later on - sorry 'bout that.) I just fell into the exact same trap on a fresh HF5 card a minute ago. :)

ah right thought it may be that! but still no sound!? same message out in in tmp as in HF4.

This is extremely bizarre. With OS version ruled out, maybe something SD related? Here's my timidity.out for comparison:

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/GP2X8GB/pandora/desktop//timidity.pnd -e scripts/timidity.sh -b timidity

LoopMountedon:

/dev/loop0

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

/dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/timidity type squashfs (ro)

Filesystem is vfat

Mounting the Union FS using /media/GP2X8GB/pandora/appdata/timidity as Write directory:

mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs=/media/GP2X8GB/pandora/appdata/timidity=rw+nolwh:/mnt/pnd/timidity=rr none /mnt/utmp/timidity

none on /mnt/utmp/timidity type aufs (rw,si=6661c177,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/timidity type aufs (rw,si=6661c177,noplink)

WARNING Guessing APPDATADIR=Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192

TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode

Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3

You need aconnectgui to connect MIDI from seq24 to timidity ..

my bad did not realise you had to highlight sequence to get sound!

cheers gruso for this port :)

Oh, fantastic. :)

You'll hit performance issues once you start sending lots of simultaneous notes. I've heard similar stutters playing MIDI files from the command line, and the same thing running Cubase in Hatari. I think it's OS/ALSA related.

New release, now with GUI (not the one you asked for Silent-Hunter, but a start.)

I'm short of time right now, but in the OP there's a link to the full thread & download on GP32X.

I was hoping this would get Timidity working with this but I still get "cannot open MIDI driver". I know this package wasn't designed for this but it was worth a shot

Back