Release Rebirth Entry - OpenDune 0.7

milkshake

Advanced Member
Hi everyone you may have seen my listing on EvilDragons Rebirth entry topic but I thought I best add a topic here too (since I made a small bug-fix with midi music).

This is essentially OpenDune but compiled for the Pandora, also included is timidity and a small set of soundfonts for it to use for the midi music.

the midi music only works with the experimental kernel and the PND detects if you are using it otherwise it wont bother to load timidity at all (sound fx are unaffected).

now while the music does work with the experimental kernel it does stutter a little, If you don't want to have the music you can either disable it in the in-game menu or just click cancel when it asks for your password to load the kernel module for timidity.

enjoy.

preview.png
preview3.png
preview1.png

Download from the repo

added youtube video of the game in action @ 600mhz and 1ghz with midi music working.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0upH8NSLgAk?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Request: make holding down dpad move the view continuously, and map game buttons to unit orders :)

Plays nicely but a bit hard to play because of the controls, especially moving around the map.

EDIT: also, how does one quit this game :D

EDIT2: OK, ingame you can do it, not between missions.

Aaaaaah the memories! Didn't realise Dune II also went freeware... saves me rummaging for my ancient CD-ROM that I got with my first PC (PC bought for me as opposed to my grandad's that I used.)

Good work, you can see how this led to Command & Conquer :)

Just launched this - I'm at work with no wifi so I can't go any further. But I have to compliment you on the launch prompts and download option. :) I hope others follow this great example (omitting the download step where it is inappropriate, of course).

Just launched this - I'm at work with no wifi so I can't go any further. But I have to compliment you on the launch prompts and download option. :) I hope others follow this great example (omitting the download step where it is inappropriate, of course).

What download option ? Can you explain better ? I have no way to try this

You need the data files for the game, which are not included in the entry. (Just like you need data files for Doom etc). The files are public domain now so it's legal to download them. Milkshake's app checks for them on launch, and offers to download them if you don't have them. It also gives you a complete list of the files you need, in case you happen to have the CD.

We have lots of ports in the repo that require external game files, but usually you have to dig through the readme to find out what's needed, then do it manually. This one does it all in clear popup prompts on launch. A simple but excellent touch.

The files are public domain now so it's legal to download them.
No intention to ruin the party, but can anyone point me to a press release / anouncement / etc ? I can't find any indication that the game is actually freeware

I may have been hasty in saying that without researching for myself, but I have now researched. The only solid info I could find is that Jason Tribbeck, author of the Acorn port, released his version for free in 2001.

After attempting to contact Westwood studios regarding this, I have not had a response back from them. Since there are many sites around where you can easily downlload the PC version of Dune II, I have decided to release the Acorn version. If Westwood want me to remove this, then I'll be happy to. In the mean time, enjoy!
12 years later, no takedown request and Westwood is long defunct. Despite the lack of a press release I think it's pretty safe territory. Milkshake may have better info.

The datafiles are available from the opendune-site afaik.

Aaaaaah the memories! Didn't realise Dune II also went freeware... saves me rummaging for my ancient CD-ROM that I got with my first PC (PC bought for me as opposed to my grandad's that I used.)

Good work, you can see how this led to Command & Conquer :)
Yes, Memories. I remember Dune 2 , I remember the game with the Cheating AI, stupid Harvesters, non existant frame-selection of multiple Units, good old times... :D

You need the data files for the game, which are not included in the entry. (Just like you need data files for Doom etc). The files are public domain now so it's legal to download them. Milkshake's app checks for them on launch, and offers to download them if you don't have them. It also gives you a complete list of the files you need, in case you happen to have the CD.

We have lots of ports in the repo that require external game files, but usually you have to dig through the readme to find out what's needed, then do it manually. This one does it all in clear popup prompts on launch. A simple but excellent touch.

oh, useful indeed !! ;)

well the script that checks for the files is a really simple bash script so if anyone wants to use it with their future packages feel free to do so.

I may have been hasty in saying that without researching for myself, but I have now researched. The only solid info I could find is that Jason Tribbeck, author of the Acorn port, released his version for free in 2001.

After attempting to contact Westwood studios regarding this, I have not had a response back from them. Since there are many sites around where you can easily downlload the PC version of Dune II, I have decided to release the Acorn version. If Westwood want me to remove this, then I'll be happy to. In the mean time, enjoy!
12 years later, no takedown request and Westwood is long defunct. Despite the lack of a press release I think it's pretty safe territory. Milkshake may have better info.

The datafiles are available from the opendune-site afaik.
Can't find any clue about it on their website/wiki/forums

So it is Abandonware aka i**egal zu distribute.

Thanks anyway to milkshake for the port, and congrats for the simple but real clever datafile solution. Too bad I can't test it :(

Can't find any clue about it on their website/wiki/forums

Well it's available on various bigger Freeware sites as well, like this one: http://www.tucows.com/preview/155224/Dune-2

The license is always stated as being Freeware. So either it's really free or a lot of freeware software archives are hosting it illegally (though the sites I checked usually only have legal downloads).

well If westwood contact me ill remove that download script, But I do not provide the files myself I just give the user the option to download them if he chooses to do so.

dont know if that matters.

Back