Release [Rebirth Compo] Wicket, wizard in trouble

clop

Hello there,

I present you my entry for the Rebirth Competition. It's a retro-looking platform/puzzle 2D game, kind of a crossover between Portile, Chip's challenge and weird ideas...

You play a wizard which only power is to generate two portals, linking two places together.

You will need all your skill and your wits to pass through many trials that await in your quest.

Screenshot from a tutorial level:

wicket1.png

Screenshot from a more advanced one:

wicket2.png

Game is still in development phase and will be released under GPL license after end of competition.

I don't know in which state it will be at end of month, but I plan to keep working on it after. Final version is supposed to include at least 40 levels, a full featured level editor (usable on Pandora) and maybe better art.

For the moment, I'm looking for one or two beta-testers, (I already got an amazing one but I need more more opinions :D ) if you're interested, please PM me.

Edit @ end of compo:

More complete description: http://stuff.doumenc...ora/wicket.html

Attached a tar.gz for Linux (needs Python & PyGame) and a beta version for Windows (needs nothing but a few graphic issues).

Clop'

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great, can't wait to play this on my OP

Hi again,

Two more screenshots for you, guys :D

wicket3.png

wicket4.png

Still a lot of work to do, but it's shaping nicely!

I heard you screaming for more ( ;) ), so one more screenshot in a new environment:

wicket5.png

:D . Mind that you can actually infer information from the motion like how the game physics/dynamics work, pace of the game and controls (not the buttons but what you can do and how the player character behaves). This is something not easily decipherable from static images. Also many frames do not contain useful information on their own, so the effective number of images with new information content is actually much lower than the total number of frames.

:p

Good !!

"You completed the level in 2 seconds" LOL !! There must be some bonus content unlocked for this !! :p

Hop-la!

Wicket has been uploaded to the FTP server!

Final Rebirth version includes three complete levelsets and a basic level editor. Included in documentation is the link to the public source repository and a short roadmap for the future.

It has been a crazy 8 weeks work and I'm incredibly proud of this :D Wicket is the first game I ever manage to get in a publicable state and I'll hope you'll have as much fun playing it as I did coding it! There is still a lot I want to put in it, so expect more releases in the next months.

I want to thanks Gruso for his amazing feedbacks and BAFelton for his tests.

Let's save Wicket from his troubles and vote for this poor guy :D

EDIT: I added a more complete description on my website: http://stuff.doumenc.org/pandora/wicket.html

I know how you feel :) . Wars: Commando was my first finished game about a year ago. Actually getting something DONE you can give people to play with is awesome :p . That feeling has kept me developing panorama after that.

Back