Release [Rebirth Compo] Wicket, wizard in trouble

I'm sorry but I wasn't able to tell you the name of the level cause the game closed, there was a rock and 2 elevators side by side... i'll try to reproduce it

About the speed, so is it normal that the falling speed is like half a second from the highest spot ? And when I move, if I keep pressed the key for a second the wizard is already at the other side of the level...

I'll try to play with fps value.

The game doesn't look bad, lack some animations, but the movement speed and the mess up keys ruined my first play.

There's a thing anyway that I don't like too much, the portal is not simply on a side of the wall, the wall become completely a portal, in every direction... but maybe I'm just too used to previous played games :p

Last edited by a moderator:
This values worked for me:

Code:
KEY_PORTAL_LEFT: 97

KEY_PORTAL_RIGHT: 100

KEY_PORTAL_UP: 119

KEY_PORTAL_DOWN: 115

FPS: 25

What is this "KEY_JUMP: 32" for ? The mage can actually jump ? Spacebar seems to do nothing

And this is the image of the crashing level, if you enter the portal to push the rock, the game will crush.

I can't print the terminal output, it's closing too fast, anyway seems to repeat the same line forever before closing.

(to host the image I used imageshack without registering :p ... hope they not cancel the link)

wicketerror.jpg

PS: I've seen only now your private message !! LOL !! :p

EDIT: Completed the game without other issues

I'm not sure you're getting the normal speed, that's very weird... As I only have a virtualized XP, I can't test much...

KEY_JUMP is useless, it's a relic :D Wizard used to be able to jump but I removed it. I'm gonna add your values to the readme as this is dependent on keyboard layout.

Thanks for the screenshot, I was able to reproduce the bug ;) Now, need to fix it! (Btw, that's a really strange way to complete this level :) )

Again, thanks for your feedback!

EDIT: bug fixed :D

(Btw, that's a really strange way to complete this level :) )

Cause I played the game without using up and left portal until that level !! I was thinking those directions were disabled for some reason !! But then, in that level, I pressed right for a second and the wizard fell directly in that corner after pushing down the rock... when I was locked in that position I started to press every key on the keyboard, and found the truth !! :lol:

EDIT: Ah, by the way, I have a QWERTY Italian keyboard http://en.wikipedia....:KB_Italian.svg

and I'm using Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit with UAC active (anyway the game doesn't need to be run as administrator)

EDIT 2: about level design, there are spots where you can remain stuck, like under elevators (in the level on the picture)... isn't it better to put fire or water in those areas ?

I updated versions on first post to use a Qwerty mapping by default.

About being stuck: using traps instead is definitely a possibility.

I tried the new version, the keys are fine... and even the speed :blink: I left 30 fps in config

Nice puzzle game, only problem is I often have trouble to hit keys short enough to only move 1 square, it often ends with 2 which usually means death, so it quickly becomes patience test.

Nice puzzle game, only problem is I often have trouble to hit keys short enough to only move 1 square, it often ends with 2 which usually means death, so it quickly becomes patience test.

That's the problem in self-testing and testing on my desktop. I'm really used to the control speed now and don't notice this kind of issues. Also, playing with keyboard arrow make it easier to move n tiles.

I choose a different pattern to handle input in Wicket taht I'm used to (no event-centred, keyboard checked on every frame). I did it cause it was easier to synchronize that with the rest of the logic. On the future versions, I'll look into that, maybe slowing down input check solve the problems, maybe a more event-centric pattern with a big key-repeat value will do it.

Anyway, hope it didn't ruin too much the game and thanks for testing :D

Just add a counter and allow moving every n frames if button is held down (only move when counter is zero, add 1 every frame a direction button is down after handling movement, set to 0 if no direction button pressed or counter >5 or so)

In the published version, movement is resolved every 3 frames. When a button is detected 'pressed' (checked every frame), direction is recorded. I think the feeling of over-control (going to far) is caused by releasing the button just after the movement resolution, causing a move 2 frames after release.

I could not record movement from one frame to another, but that may cause "missing" moves. I'm thinking about resetting direction the n+1 frame, cause is on that one that you get the visual feedback.

Fun little game, I managed to crash it on first world's 3 last level.

Got stuck to the end and tried to get out by spawning portal above and below. After that shoot a portal to the left through the small hole.

When I tried to enter the portal the elevator was just next to it and got crash.

Fun little game, I managed to crash it on first world's 3 last level.

Got stuck to the end and tried to get out by spawning portal above and below. After that shoot a portal to the left through the small hole.

When I tried to enter the portal the elevator was just next to it and got crash.

is that your situation ? http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/7551-rebirth-compo-wicket-wizard-in-trouble/page__st__40#entry138870

if so i think you need to redownload the game, it was fixed

Yes, expect instead of rock there was elevator next to the red portal.

Was using the latest PND on repo.

Yes, expect instead of rock there was elevator next to the red portal.

Was using the latest PND on repo.

It's very possible I screwed up and didn't updated repo with that bugfix. Will fix that tonight.

Thanks for testing! :D

@Mods:

As I planned to continue working on Wicket in the future, could this thread be moved to the development section, letting a link in the Rebirth future archive?

Thanks ;)

Back