Rainy Day - Game Project

Unfortunately, I can't vote for it until it has some game elements to it. I definitely think you should have some nice, well thought out puzzles for the levels. That makes even really short levels fulfilling.

And, as everyone else, I love the art.

Thanks again guys, all of you :D

At the moment I'm trying to make a Main Theme song for the title screen, to see if I'm capable of doing it myself, I'll post it when it's finished and then you guys can decide if it's good enough :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha :p No, not like those, more something like this:

http://siegfriedcroes.com/WIPTheme.mp3

Well that's what I got so far :) It's just a cheap midi to mp3 version though so the instruments aren't final. And the song itself is of course not finished yet (that's why it stops so suddenly) :) But I hope you guys find something like this good enough :)

I like the general theme of the piece, but it lacks... punch. It currently kinda just slides along. Add some percussion to the transition/modulation parts to give it more balls :p

yes, throw some rocket launchers and grenades in there, make everybody wear a red or blue shirt like its a damn Los Angeles gang fight, and make every single non-important jump impossible to clear

I forgot to say, this Main Theme is for the title screen so in my opinion it doesn't need punch, it just needs to be a bit sad and be about a never ending rainfall... But I will keep the part from 0 to 38seconds and then do something else to then go back to the start after that :)

yes, throw some rocket launchers and grenades in there, make everybody wear a red or blue shirt like its a damn Los Angeles gang fight, and make every single non-important jump impossible to clear
I was talking about the theme music you doofus. Not the game. The game itself is great so far. In my opinion I was giving constructive criticism. What in your mind warranted an attack like that? <- I misunderstood the mummy. :)

EDIT: Also, try running. It helps.

I forgot to say, this Main Theme is for the title screen so in my opinion it doesn't need punch, it just needs to be a bit sad and be about a never ending rainfall... But I will keep the part from 0 to 38seconds and then do something else to then go back to the start after that :)
OK :) . Still in my opinion it lacks something to give it more shape. Percussion is one way to punctuate changes, but you can achieve the same with pauses or volume changes in the main melody track and keep it sad rather than "punchy". I hope you get what I mean :p . I'm not asking you to change the tone or style of the piece, just to make it a bit less uniform. Any instrument you play there are pauses in the play be it for breathing or moving your hands. You rarely hear a single uninterrupted (no pauses) melody that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK :) . Still in my opinion it lacks something to give it more shape. Percussion is one way to punctuate changes, but you can achieve the same with pauses or volume changes in the main melody track and keep it sad rather than "punchy". I hope you get what I mean :p . I'm not asking you to change the tone or style of the piece, just to make it a bit less uniform. Any instrument you play there are pauses in the play be it for breathing or moving your hands. You rarely hear a single uninterrupted (no pauses) melody that long.

I had a similar idea, I like the track overall, but it lacks "something", let's see how this turns out :)

I was talking about the theme music you doofus. Not the game. The game itself is great so far. In my opinion I was giving constructive criticism. What in your mind warranted an attack like that?

EDIT: Also, try running. It helps.
:} wasnt an attack, i like your game, but its frustrating to all hell at times

^ All good then :) . I have to admit, I haven't finished it myself yet :D . I know every part of the game is possible to get through without losing any energy (I've tried), but at best I've gotten very close to the final boss in a fair playthrough. :p

I have found a puzzle element to add to the game... awaiting Archibald's approval :)

Approved! Dragons_Slayer's design for the puzzle-element is quite elegant and simple, yet challenging to the player. Best of all, not a tremendous amount of extra art assets are needed for it, just the way the art monkey likes it! :-D

By the way, thank you all for the votes on Rainy Day, frankly, the result has vastly exceeded my expectation (after all, we weren't doing this to win), and given me the extra motivation to do some more work on the game now. :)

I'm working on some images that will make it easier to understand my idea :) You can expect a new post with all info in a few hours :)

Rainy Day - More than just a simple platformer

I heard a lot of people say they really like the graphics but don't liked the fact that it was just going to be a generic platform game... So I sat down for a few hours and came up with an idea :D The game will still be an action platformer but with added puzzle elements :)

In the alpha preview your weapon was an ordinary umbrella... Not anymore! It can do more than just swinging and killing enemies in close combat now :D

- THE IDEA -

idea.jpg

I - Monsters

In the preview you already saw the blue monsters but there will also be red and yellow ones (designs are not final). These are simple monsters and can be killed by hitting them with your umbrella. But There will be stronger monsters... Monsters you can't kill by just hitting them...

II - Stealing Colours

With your umbrella, you will be able to steal the colour of one of those simple monsters (blue, yellow or red)! By pressing L (left shoulder button) you can shoot a spark which will fly forward for a while, slow down and then come back (like your fist in the original Rayman or like a boomerang).

If it hits an enemy it will steal it's colour! The enemy will "turn to stone", it will be harmless and you can finish it off with a umbrella swing. after hitting an enemy, the spark will come back to you and you will collect the colour (it will be shown somewhere in the HUD). It is possible to mix colours by stealing another colour while already carrying one. If you (for example) steal blue and then you steal red, the colour you are carrying will turn purple.

So you can steal colours, but what do you do with them?

III - Shooting Colours

You got simple monsters I spoke of earlier but there are also bigger and stronger monsters out there! These can't be killed by just hitting them with your umbrella... What to do know?

By pressing R (right shoulder button) you can shoot the colour (you're carrying) as a beam/bullet/something. This way you will be able to defeat bigger monsters (it's also possible to kill simple enemies this way)!

IV - More

A few other ideas I have are some kind of big static monster things (like that green one) that is more or less like a door that need a key. For this green one, the key is to steal both blue and yellow (mixed together that's green) and kill it! Or a boss that spits out smaller monsters and you have to steal the colour of those monsters (if it's the right one) and fire it at the boss itself.

I also thought it would be useful if there were some kind of static(plant like)-versions of the monsters, that are easy to steal a colour from when you need it.

Note:

- Killing simple monsters with an umbrella-swing will make them explode and leave some kind of tokens (score) behind.

- Killing a colourless monster (with umbrella swing or beam) will turn them to dust. You will get nothing...

- Hitting a monster with the right colour beam will also make them explode and will give you tokens (more than when you kill them with an umbrella-swing).

-------------------------------------------

Well, that's the idea I had and that what we're going for now :) I hope you like it :)

Back