GP2X Group Game Project: Pinball-esque

This has also been posted at source forge, suggestion of how to proceed:

1. Coding in C++ with object-oriented design.

2. Propose that The Booboo creates a UML design and rough prototype with basic graphics, this is in order to establish the ball physics, gameplay rules etc. At this stage display to be done using SDL.

3. At this point I will either recruit an artist or do new graphics myself. Artist to work with Dzz. Dzz to code high-performance low-level graphics module(s) to support the agreed art requirements of the game, which will be discussed by all involved in the project at the time.

4. Music can be drawn from Tim's Record Label (The Booboo and others) creative commons back catalogue, and/or any tracks any other project members may wish to contribute.

5. Sound design to be done by The Booboo.
That sounds good. We'll need another coder (or more than one) to extend your prototype to do all the stuff that is not "high-performance low-level graphics modules". With the prototype in place that you're building, that should work well.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this, you rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
One type of pinball table design I like, which allows for tables larger than the 320x240 but removes the annoying scrolling, is the multi-screen tables.
You work away on screen 1 to unlock a "gate" at the top, once open you have to try to launch the ball to the area above. Rinse and repeat.
If you fall from screen 2 (between the flippers), you're back in screen 1 (perhaps the gate closes and you need to reopen it again).

Obviously, this shouldn't be a first goal, just something to consider.

Vertical scrolling for this one! Plus a motion blur (4xsub samples should be enough). Then text scroller just like in a PinballDreams but layered with saturated color addiction on the main playfield.

For controls sidebuttons should be the best.

Should run synced at every frame with some assembler coding.

But coding is one thing - the another is a design...

The board should be just one 320 * Y long 16BPP bitmap. Lights and such things... I'm not sure how they should be done best. A background image (eventually with Z-depth for lanes), the data for a ball bouncing (vectors or bitmasks?) from walls, a faking enviroment reflection on a ball?

So... just a pinball but so many things to consider.

Back