Quick video of the case

theres a reason why valve dropped the idea of the screen on their controller.
Which is??
ask them. But probably they tested it and people did not like it or did not use it.

Its not because you can that you should.
Maybe I'm wrong but usecase for second screen on Pyra versus that of Valve's controller is different.  Valve's controller is used for its steam machine, and the steam machine is not portable.  Well, Nintendo didn't drop the screen on its WiiU controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/01/15/valves-steam-controller-drops-the-touchscreen-adds-buttons

Which is??
ask them. But probably they tested it and people did not like it or did not use it.

Maybe I'm wrong but usecase for second screen on Pyra versus that of Valve's controller is different.  Valve's controller is used for its steam machine, and the steam machine is not portable.  Well, Nintendo didn't drop the screen on its WiiU controller.
yeah and we know how the wiiu sells.

Do you think that would hurt DS emulation that much?
 You are asking if missing part of the screen is going to hurt emulation of a system where the screen is used for input... Of course it would.

Which is??

The Wii U's screen is also big and has much better resolution, so that it would be useful in many cases. (Including the case where you turn your TV off and use the controller's screen as your screen)

-God Ginrai

IMO, the higher res and wider screen of Pyra (and hopefully a much better, more solid hinge) should be enough for a good DS emulation experience.

If a more proper DS gaming experience is desired, might as well get a cheap used DS instead. ;)

If a more proper DS gaming experience is desired, might as well get a cheap used DS instead. ;)
You can say this to all of the other emulators as well.  If you want to play any game properly then get the system that it's made for.  No need for a emulation :p

You can say this to all of the other emulators as well.  If you want to play any game properly then get the system that it's made for.  No need for a emulation :p
But the DS emulator works just fine on Pandora already, no need for a second screen.

If a second screen is desired, then buying a second hand DS would probably be cheaper (and more convenient) than somehow adding a second screen to Pyra. That's what I meant.

IMO, some compromise is always needed when playing games via emulation.

But the DS emulator works just fine on Pandora already, no need for a second screen.
Exactly. I even play most of the DS games with only a single screen showing, since the second screen is mostly un-used. Most devs had no idea what to make of the second screen. Even Nintendo first party titles.  

Exactly. I even play most of the DS games with only a single screen showing, since the second screen is mostly un-used. Most devs had no idea what to make of the second screen. Even Nintendo first party titles.
IMO, you're missing out on some of the good DS games, then. :p But I agree that a second screen, especially one like Natus is describing would not be useful for DS emulation. The only game that I can think of that would really benefit from it is Sonic Rush.

-God Ginrai

As for "many would mistake it for the Pandora" is ridiculous since "many" don't even know about the Pandora in the first place! :D
Yeah dude! Everytime I pull out the device I get people saying "What game are you playing?" I'm playing....uuuh Internet? or uuuuh Libre Office... or "That looks like a DS" I always get that. I pulled it out in my computer class since I can't stand my classes' computers or their broken down keyboards and the lady next to me said "Oh that looks like my son's old DS"

haha :) oh well
I've been yelled at for having my gameboy computer out at work. *Snickers * I love this thing.

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Honestly, the Pandora's screen was already adequate...

-God Ginrai
agreed. At first the side by side was jarring, but it really did make things easier to use... actually I like better then the original.. :eek:

As for "many would mistake it for the Pandora" is ridiculous since "many" don't even know about the Pandora in the first place! :D
Yeah dude! Everytime I pull out the device I get people saying "What game are you playing?" I'm playing....uuuh Internet? or uuuuh Libre Office... or "That looks like a DS" I always get that. I pulled it out in my computer class since I can't stand my classes' computers or their broken down keyboards and the lady next to me said "Oh that looks like my son's old DS"

haha :) oh well
I've been yelled at for having my gameboy computer out at work. *Snickers * I love this thing.

At least I'm not the only one. Thankfully I haven't had a teacher or employee get mad at me yet. Maybe I need a sticker that says "Not a DS" ha jk

im just saying the format of the six buttons are not fluid with what most gamers are used to
That's fine. But doing so like that makes more enemies than allies. :( (Btw, in the topic "the case of the case", we are discussing this very issue)

-God Ginrai

yeah and we know how the wiiu sells.
1)Which has nothing to do with the Gamepad.

2) Just like how they have touchpad for sticks? They are already going against the grain. Having a touchscreen wouldn't

change things in that regard.

You are asking if missing part of the screen is going to hurt emulation of a system where the screen is used for input... Of course it would.

-God Ginrai
No. I mean put the whole screen in that resolution.

You can say this to all of the other emulators as well. If you want to play any game properly then get the system that it's made for. No need for a emulation :p
This.

If a second screen is desired, then buying a second hand DS would probably be cheaper (and more convenient) than somehow adding a second screen to Pyra. That's what I meant.

It would be more cheaper and convenient then just buying the Pyra? :huh:

agreed. At first the side by side was jarring, but it really did make things easier to use... actually I like better then the original.. :eek:
If you say so.

2.6 in one, but I don't trust it.

-God Ginrai
No. I mean put the whole screen in that resolution.
That screen has a lower resolution than a DS screen. How do you propose lowering the screen's resolution to a larger resolution?

-God Ginrai

im just saying the format of the six buttons are not fluid with what most gamers are used to
Sorry, It just hit a nerve as there is 70 pages of discussion about the button layout in other threads and on top of that you said it all in caps which is another pet peeve of mine.. Also you weren't saying much other than complaining about it.  

It would be more cheaper and convenient then just buying the Pyra? :huh:
Adding a second screen where you proposed would probably increase cost of Pyra by more than $30 (keep in mind, it's not just the cost of the LCD) which is the cost of a DS nowdays.

Also that screen would be much smaller than a regular DS screen, even if it were possible to get the right resolution. It also sits in between the nubs and above the keyboard. I think it wouldn't be very convenient at all.

Finally, that screen would need to replace the buttons which are there. A big part of what Pandora is and what Pyra will be is that physical buttons >>> touchscreen.

Probably the only plus would be using that screen to display status/activity of various things (ie. battery, SD cards, Wifi, 3G, etc).

Back