Quick video of the case

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Apr 17, 2014.

1. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

Please don't paint the Device this time, instead use different plastic colours. I like to remember that the paint itself caused some tolerances/fitting trouble on the Pandora but I guess you already know that.

DrHAX, FaeMinx, rygD and 2 others like this.
  2. Natsu

Natsu Advanced Member

Maybe you are right about red still looking good. I was just thinking about the redundancy of it.

Wouldn't that look bad regardless of what finish? :lol:

You mean besides the light up logo on the back?

:lol:

Yeah, I don't even have the Pandora in hand and still disagree with him.

DrHAX likes this.
  3. ekianjo

ekianjo Hardcore Member

So we have to listen to you only for the color because you're the only person that matters or something ? :p

It's not only the color that defines the identity, it's the whole design of the thing.

As for "many would mistake it for the Pandora" is ridiculous since "many" don't even know about the Pandora in the first place! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  4. superatarian

superatarian Member

Cooool..... Nice job so far......

5. atari_afternoon

atari_afternoon Member

Fascinating to see how things are getting shape more and more, and fast :) Looking so much forward to the finished Pyra :)

6. jp10558

jp10558 Still Fresh

Personally, I really like the black of the Pandora, but that's because I like my computing devices being black. Think Lenovo Thinkpad or IBM system x servers... The other colors make it too "toy" like for me. 

One question - why was the audio jack moved from the front to the back? The front seems like a really good idea to me - there seems like there's space in the case there, and then your headphones aren't draping around the back. I don't really care that much, but there you  go.

7. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

BMW uses hellgrau as a colourcode for their cars, or at least they used to.  Means whole-gray. Hel is the god of death, which translates to how that word means circle. Death is not a bad thing in european religion, moreso than it is something that provides new life.

Professional lens gear and military gear is oft gray.

rygD likes this.
  8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

There's place in the case but not on the PCB.

9. Binky

Binky Death's Steed Staff Member

Black-on-black texturing could be nice (e.g. black-painted metal inserts, rubbery grips, etc)

Kevin Osuna likes this.
  10. Natsu

Natsu Advanced Member

[​IMG]

Is the space on the side of the SD card slot too small or being used by something else?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  11. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

You've made the right decision, ED. Headphones at the front have caused me a number of problems.

FaeMinx likes this.
  12. Natsu

Natsu Advanced Member

Such as... and the back wouldn't cause problems?

13. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

It can't stand in things. Specifically, using it on a treadmill to watch stuff is impossible with the headphones in; those sorts of things.

Lying in bed is also problematic, the plug a slight but perceptible sticking in my stomach.

To a lesser extent, I started using it to play audiobooks on my drive to work: I'll plug it into the aux jack and then drop it into the cup holder. My instincts because of the way I hold it is to drop it in SD card side down which the plug gets in the way of. I need to actively correct myself every time to flip it around.

Cord coming out the back has no effect on these problems.

14. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

The 4G antenna needs more space (that's the 3G one) and yes, the headset jack is pretty long as well, it would hit the UMTS / 3G / 4G module.

15. Natsu

Natsu Advanced Member

OK, you guys win. :p

16. Majin Wamu

Majin Wamu Powered by Pixels

I guess I am redundant haha :D

17. Majin Wamu

Majin Wamu Powered by Pixels

Yeah dude! Everytime I pull out the device I get people saying "What game are you playing?" I'm playing....uuuh Internet? or uuuuh Libre Office... or "That looks like a DS" I always get that. I pulled it out in my computer class since I can't stand my classes' computers or their broken down keyboards and the lady next to me said "Oh that looks like my son's old DS"

haha :) oh well

18. Exophase

Exophase Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.

Looking very good. And I have to say I'm glad you're taking care of the case as early as you can, I always felt that the case was a big contribution to the long delay of the Pandora.

19. Neelix

Neelix Insecticidal Maniac

Except that the uSD slot replaces the internal storage. If it's in use, then it's the default boot device. In normal operation removing this card while the Pyra is in use would crash the system, so it makes sense to block it with the battery.

- Neelix

20. Jumpman

Jumpman Advanced Member

Since production will be close by instead of halfway around the globe, I can't imagine the case ever being that bad again(knock on wood) ;)

Chris