Quick video of the case

Didn't realise you could put a micro sd card inside the Pyra, there will be no shortage of storage options by the looks of things!

Hi !

Is there a technical reason why on all phones (and on the Pyra) you need to remove the battery to access the sim slot ? Wouldn't it be possible to hot plug sim cards ?

Looks great!! If the pyra can remove the issues that the pandora had, it may be more marketable to a wider audience imo.

Hi !

Is there a technical reason why on all phones (and on the Pyra) you need to remove the battery to access the sim slot ? Wouldn't it be possible to hot plug sim cards ?
Yeah that's what I asked, there isn't any technical reason and sim card are also at the edge. Would be cool if you want to buy a features phone with hot plug port and switch between them. Also I wonder if we could use the Pyra to program any. chip card and that would be useful to have a hot plug port.

Hi !

Yeah that's what I asked, there isn't any technical reason and sim card are also at the edge. Would be cool if you want to buy a features phone with hot plug port and switch between them. Also I wonder if we could use the Pyra to program any. chip card and that would be useful to have a hot plug port.
I'm sure they probably can be hot swapped. The main reason is probably because they aren't swapped out often enough for manufacturers to worry about it, so they stick it where ever it's convenient. This is all a guess though :)

I think it's part of the GSM spec that's designed to stop people getting round operator locks and the like. I once had a phone where the sim slot was separate from the battery slot, but that was a long time ago, and I don't think it liked having its sim yanked unexpectedly.

I can wait. Considering the Pyra can get better with a little patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very exciting. Its a shame the Pandora was being developed when it did (ie. Kick starter wasn't there, 3d printing wasn't as widespread).

Looking forward to good things for the pyra and a smoother development process

Very exciting. Its a shame the Pandora was being developed when it did (ie. Kick starter wasn't there, 3d printing wasn't as widespread).

Looking forward to good things for the pyra and a smoother development process
I don't know if that would have made a big difference.
The team has gained a lot of experience and knowledge in designing and organizing the production of the Pandora.

What I see with the Pyra is that they learned some very valuable lessons there and use those to produce a vastly superior product this time.

I saw that video earlier today but I didn't get to respond. Even though this is not the official case I am very pleased with it. It looks solid, the buttons don't look like they will be that small, and the style is just neat, much like the Pandora. Even though it looks very similar to the Pandora, something about the case you assembled I seem to like even more than the Pandora. I really look forward to more developments with the case and I am quite excited the production is this far and it is only April. Perhaps early next year the Pyra will be ready to go.

(even the color looks cool too...through the picture in the last post I didn't care too much for it, but it looks really neat in this video).

Yeah that's what I asked, there isn't any technical reason and sim card are also at the edge
If you remove a SIM card while it's in use you risk damaging it. It's a slim risk, but they weren't designed to be hot swapped. You can disable the radio and stuff using the SIM card in order to make it safe to remove, but the average user can't be trusted to always remember to do that. Even the best of users aren't infallible and may forget or remove it by accident.For safety concerns, just like the OS SD card, it's better behind the battery which guarantees it is shut off.

Blfo62LIEAAbOzT.jpg

Don't know why but I really like these proportions, I think there is some golden section.

Yeah that's what I asked, there isn't any technical reason and sim card are also at the edge
If you remove a SIM card while it's in use you risk damaging it. It's a slim risk, but they weren't designed to be hot swapped.
Yet, there is phones with hot-plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back