Quick nub update (2010-09-17)

Here's something that's been bugging me for a while.

You ordered the nubs. Something happened to the shipment/manufacture (I forget what), and you had to order/pay/wait for them all again.

Surely somewhere in that mess they bothered to test them, and make sure they were up to spec?

But it seems not, since the first nubs were failing all over the place, and we're now on the fourth(?) revision since the earlier screw-up, and they're still not up to their standards?

Either they didn't test them (which is pathetic), their standards were *FAAR* too low (why raise them quite so high, now), or something else (Oh, you wanted these to work - we thought they were going to be decorative!).

Could you shed some light here? Much obliged.

You would think so wouldn't you. Especially since we went with a USA based company.

Either they didn't test them (which is pathetic), their standards were *FAAR* too low (why raise them quite so high, now), or something else (Oh, you wanted these to work - we thought they were going to be decorative!).

Could you shed some light here? Much obliged.

Well, I have no idea really. They produced them and they WERE supposed to be tested - but I really doubt they did that.

Really poor for a company that has ISO quality certifications and 19 branches worldwide... we're pretty angry here, but at least they're now doing their fix as fast as possible.

Well, I have no idea really. They produced them and they WERE supposed to be tested - but I really doubt they did that.

Really poor for a company that has ISO quality certifications and 19 branches worldwide... we're pretty angry here, but at least they're now doing their fix as fast as possible.

Well the update that the nubs where placed with a US company with an ISO rating, sure would lead you think you would be getting a quality product. Guess looks can be deceiving. :angry: Thanks for sharing the background information.

Cheers Carl

This is no NUB Faktory, It is the NOOB Faktory ... :angry:

Naja, nicht schlimm,

300.000 Cirkles is werry good, the best case would be that the Nubs would be aple to survive, until the Packetdeliverer whit the Pandora 2 is on my door.. :rolleyes:

I live in the USA, was born and raised here, and I hate to say it, but our production standards and quality control have gone down the drain. Sadly, this seems to be a worldwide problem, as everyone seems to want to do less, for more.

It seems as though the nub company is trying to step there game up, and correct the problem, but it should have never gotten to this point if they took pride in their business, and the products they produce. :( Oh well, life goes on!

Chris

Are we talking about ISO 9001? Because as far as I know, that doesn't certify quality. It just certifies that their process is standardized.

^ Yeah, just draw up some documentation, and we'll be in the clear.

^ Yeah, just draw up some documentation, and we'll be in the clear.

I'm not really good with drafting documents, however I'm sure just about anything qualifies after seeing this. :D

iso_9001_standard_hipster_trucker_hat-p148542571810427216tdto_210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main issue was the silicon used was not consistent. If it was a strong mix the nubs work great if it was weak they tear and respond in an erratic way.

They are trying to make that mix as strong as possible.

Aha, alles Klar, Thanks for the Info :lol:

I think, that the most peaple would use both: The Nubs, or the Dpad, so it should survive way longer...

Herr Lip?

Hmm......I'm guessing I was alone in waiting for a reference to Justin (from Royston Vasey!) reference to appear here....

From an article I've read, these conductive silicone rubber are quite hard to deal with. After fabrication, they change their caracteristics rather unpredicticably. I suppose the controller ICs provided by the company should help deal with these variations, but apparently some nub's rubber went deviated enought to make the whole thing fail.

Better a better rubber mix should help with these problem, I guess.

I've also read, that this "conductive" rubber is nothing more than a lot of carbon fragments embedded in (non-conductive) silicone rubber. Apparently the current takes a path thru the material, trying to avoid going thru silicone, instead following the paths created when the carbon fragments contact each other. When the material is deformed, it's electrical resistance changes according to the amount of deformation.

Pretty cool stuff.

Here's the link to the article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3367/is_n21_v34/ai_n28649499/

EDIT: About replacement, maybe OP should get some spare nub rubbers. Desoldering the nubs is no easy task, but doable as a forum member showed. After that it should be easy to replace the rubber with a brand new one and potentially fix a dead nub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back