Quake 3

Speaking of touchscreen/mouse input, has anyone ever played Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS? They has a control scheme, where it was L to shoot, touchscreen to move view/aim, dpad to move character, and then just use the buttons/r for leftys. It worked VERY well.

PSyMastR said:
Speaking of touchscreen/mouse input, has anyone ever played Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS? They has a control scheme, where it was L to shoot, touchscreen to move view/aim, dpad to move character, and then just use the buttons/r for leftys. It worked VERY well.
That has been brought up a few times in this topic, I believe. It just comes down to the fact that there isn't a second screen, so you'll block part of the screen. It will probably be implemented anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Downsider002 said:
PSyMastR said:
That has been brought up a few times in this topic, I believe. It just comes down to the fact that there isn't a second screen, so you'll block part of the screen. It will probably be implemented anyway.

Couldn't you overlay a virtual control surface on the bottom right that is big enough to control the mouse look but small enough to not block what your aiming at? You could make a cool little interface with all the weapons on the top, maybe quick access to grenades etc.

Most likely, especially since I know that the screen-size of most Quake engines is scalable, you can free up some space =p

Not quite sure about the interface thing, it's possible but of course would require work. The DS has something similar, but each screen might be treated as totally different environments, so I'm not exactly sure.

I found on the Windows XP installation of Quake 3 that if you put on the serial key input part if you just max with "dddddddddddddddddddddddd....." that it will play any Quake 3 installation in multiplayer and singleplayer mode I dont know if this is the same for adaptive linux installations but for it to work in all Windows XP it would mean to me that its embedded in the source code perhaps by 1 of the original developers. Please tell me if it works for you thx for your time ;)

Megatog615 said:
Adventus said:
Keep in mind that you cannot modify any of the original data. If you do your client will fail the pure check when you connect to an internet server and you will not be able to play online. Texture compression will have to be done at load-time.
Surely you could bypass that? Even if it meant keeping the original data around....

Or just set r_picMip to a higher value by default, like I said? Q3 can compress textures on the fly too with r_ext_compressed_textures. If the Pandora can't do the built-in compression algorithm, write your own compression for the renderer with the extensions available.
Converting the textures to a smaller size by hand is a half-ass way to do it and it breaks compatibility.

Textures are loaded and converted to a standard format at load-time so if you change r_picMip it will actually change the textures at load time.

Also, keep in mind you'll need a CD-Key handy to play it.

redneckuk said:
I found on the Windows XP installation of Quake 3 that if you put on the serial key input part if you just max with "dddddddddddddddddddddddd....." that it will play any Quake 3 installation in multiplayer and singleplayer mode I dont know if this is the same for adaptive linux installations but for it to work in all Windows XP it would mean to me that its embedded in the source code perhaps by 1 of the original developers. Please tell me if it works for you thx for your time ;)

Just hit the escape button when Quake3 asks you for a serial
Thats a *feature* that was added to one of the latest point releases (thus upgrade to the last version first)

PSyMastR said:
Aye, it was great! Not sure if that would work on the Panda, though.

The metoid Prime DS controls wont work on the Pandora. On the DS the touchscreen was the map screen (screen with the map on it) and the above screen was showing your character. WIth the pandora you wont see the half of the screen and it will be a pain for your arm.

I have joined this discussion late so have to ask..Am I missing something?

Surely controls will be using duel analogs like a 360 game with shoulder buttons for shooting jumping and dpad for change weapon etc

stustaff said:
I have joined this discussion late so have to ask..Am I missing something?

Surely controls will be using duel analogs like a 360 game with shoulder buttons for shooting jumping and dpad for change weapon etc

People are just brainstorming really, there's a touchscreen there to be used so it's only natural that the possibilities are explored.

If it's done right, the controls will be fully mappable. I'll be keen to try it console style as you mentioned, and I'll also be interested to see how the touchscreen is used (if at all). But I'd really like to play with WASD+mouse whenever possible. ;) Options for the win.

Mithrildor said:
The metoid Prime DS controls wont work on the Pandora. On the DS the touchscreen was the map screen (screen with the map on it) and the above screen was showing your character. WIth the pandora you wont see the half of the screen and it will be a pain for your arm.
Of course it would work, you just have to play with your stylus extended a little more so that it is the only thing obstructing your view...

Also MPH Demo had a "Point to shoot" setting, which put the action on the touch screen. It actually made it easier since you actually were point right at the enemies with the stylus to shoot them, rather "aiming" a crosshair with the stylus.

You arms would probably get tired, and you would be better setting the Pandora up on a table or desk, but saying the controls won't work is just well... naysaying.

Mithrildor said:
It might be possible to get something like it to work if you hold the Pandora sideways like a book. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to reach any useful buttons with your indexes... Maybe even hold it diagonally so that at least one hand can reach a shoulder button. Would it be challenging to rotate the graphics 45 degrees? :D

I think I would prefer dpad+analog. The xbox controller always bugged be because of the reverse placement of the left analog and dpad.

I prefer the left analog as the "main control". It's the best type of control to use in 3D games. Push a little to tippy toe/walk slow/make less noise. Push all the way to sprint/go fast/make noise. The only games I prefer d-pad controls is with fighting games and direct input puzzle games.

Its probably why I like fighting games on the PS3 more-so than the 360.

Has someone said they will port Quake 3 yet? I know it should be relatively easy, but have somone actually said that they are going to do it?

Back