Quake 3

What would you want touchscreen for?

But if the touchscreen is a mouse pointer device in Linux (which I bet it will be) that it will be supported as a mouse directly without any work involved.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Why would you need a CD key? This is an OpenArena port, right? I thought it was free and independent from the real Q3A.
OpenArena is only slightly different from ioquake3 in that it uses a different master server and no cdkey checking. You can actually use the ioquake3 executable to connect to OpenArena servers, if you use the OpenArena data in place of the real quake3 data.

So, with that said, those of us who have paid for Quake3 would like to play Quake3.

Swiss_Cheeseman said:
Megatog615 said:
...Also, keep in mind you'll need a CD-Key handy to play it.
I don't see why that would be necessary. Maybe for connecting to official servers but since the vast majority of them are most likely running punkbuster and are full of PC players there seems to be little point. Cross-platform multiplayer is a gimmick at best.

Does the GPL source even include the CD-Key stuff?

Yes.

By the way there's nothing stopping you from hooking up a USB mouse to the Pandora and playing PC-style with the built-in keyboard(I plan to do this). So no, multi-platform is not a gimmick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megatog615 said:
By the way there's nothing stopping you from hooking up a USB mouse to the Pandora and playing PC-style with the built-in keyboard(I plan to do this). So no, multi-platform is not a gimmick.
Well doing that in itself is a gimmick. All of us have reasonably computers that are more capable than the Pandora, if we really wanted to play with KB+M it would make a lot more sense to use that instead.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it may be a good idea to set up a master server specifically for Pandora users. It would level the playing field a little (though populating those servers may be an issue).

Swiss_Cheeseman said:
Megatog615 said:

Well doing that in itself is a gimmick. All of us have reasonably computers that are more capable than the Pandora, if we really wanted to play with KB+M it would make a lot more sense to use that instead.Not if you're traveling, or get lunch breaks during work.

Playing online with analog sticks is hard, damn hard, biggest problem is reaction, too high reaction on the analog controls and you're all over the place and lower ins't good either because they are way slower then a mouse, getting the settings just right is almost impossible (at least that's what I thought).
Tried with OpenArena and my old Xbox control connected to USB, the gradient sensitivity made it almost worse ^^

With bots you do ok, they are so dumb anyway but as soon as you log on a real server, be ready to finish last ;P people I know suck still had me as a free frag 99,9% of the time since they move to fast to keep up with the controls.

Then again I only tried it for a week or two before I got sick of almost never getting a shot in even :)

It would obviously need "sticky crosshairs" just like halo, e.g. if you move over an enemy the sensitivity goes down.
However this is considered a auto-aim cheat by people using mouse and keyboard (which I agree to in general).

Which brings me back to the point that you will probably have the best time playing on Pandora only servers.

Touch where you want to shoot, and it shoots there. Instead of mouse to look around, it's touch look.

touch screen works ok with the DS where you slide to move the target, but I don't see how it would beat using a good analog.

You can't made the player reorient himself to the point on the screen that you touch because Quake is centre view.

enigmacipher said:
How would the touchscreen help?

I don't understand :(
I think because Q3 also has mouse navigated menus, the navigation in this part of the game will be more quickly with the Touchscreen than with the other controlls. A Touchscreen support wouldn't hurt, even if we don't need this ingame.

fusion_power said:
enigmacipher said:

I think because Q3 also has mouse navigated menus, the navigation in this part of the game will be more quickly with the Touchscreen than with the other controlls. A Touchscreen support wouldn't hurt, even if we don't need this ingame.

That's about the only useful application for the touchscreen and would likely be supported by default. "Mouselook" using the touchscreen on the DS works since the bottom screen is used more like a touchpad.

I hope there will be possibility of using real mouse right after release first version of q3 for pandora =)

Okay, the "touch where you shoot" idea would be downright terrible. it works for duckhunt, but not for quake. Mouselook is okay, but only because it operates like an analog control.

Swiss_Cheeseman said:
fusion_power said:
enigmacipher said:

That's about the only useful application for the touchscreen and would likely be supported by default. "Mouselook" using the touchscreen on the DS works since the bottom screen is used more like a touchpad.

unless you made a virtual cop styled mod.

Back