Quake 3

Damn, you got me. Then again, programmer isn't spelled correctly, either =P. Anyway, back on topic. I'd say that the idea to use the touchscreen is a good idea, however, I'm not so sure about the idea suggesting that it should be HOTD-styled kind of firing. Then again, I'd rather use the analogue nubs.

Interesting. how about show us tasks we pretty much can't already do on the GP2X and such? like... it's 3D potential? even PSX emulation?

impressive, but not showing near it's full capability.

trooper said:
icurafu said:
Thanks, my mistake.

EDIT: It is spelt "the" ;)

Fixed. :rolleyes:

Trooper

I don't see what grain has to do with this discussion.... And I guess the Australian English matches the American English version of the past tense of 'Spell' than the British-English one (with good reason).

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that the latest release of ioquake3 had stereographic support, is that something that we get working on the pandora? The wiki mentions the need for quad buffers; do we have those? If not, would some sort of workaround be possible there?

I'd be very excited to see this work on the pandora, because it could transform into a cheap VR setup - head mounted display, wiimote and maybe head tracking plus a game that supports stereographic output. That would be too much fun.

emil10001 said:
I read that the latest release of ioquake3 had stereographic support, is that something that we get working on the pandora? The wiki mentions the need for quad buffers; do we have those? If not, would some sort of workaround be possible there?

I would bet money that the Pandora will not have quad buffers. They're pretty rare. GeForce cards don't even have them. (Quadro cards do.)

There is not an easy work-around for this. Besides not having the buffer, there won't be the hardware needed to output the buffers. You'd need either two video signals (Pandora doesn't have two video outputs) or you'd need a way to alternate frames, which typically also needs a special sync signal that needs special hardware to generate.

If you're really that excited about VR, you could do everything you just said with a PC with a Quadro card. (Make sure the card you get is compatible with the display you intend to use, Nvidia has made some rather irritating changes to their chipset recently.)
There are also special drivers for some GeForce cards which can output to stereo without an actual quad-buffer. (This forum would be a good source of information : http://www.mtbs3d.com/)

Hmm, ok. I kinda figured that it wouldn't. I wonder if there is another way of accomplishing the same result, without using extra buffers.

how does compiz output the alternating frames then without any special drivers other than the linux driver blob?

all you are really doing is shifting the camera and rerendering the frame... with a color filter or omaybe i am missing something

Well, from what I understand about the problem, which admittedly isn't an awful lot, is that it uses an interlaced output where on the even lines you have camera one, and on the odd lines you have camera two. If it is done in this fashion, then any of the head mounted displays that does 3d (like this one)will be able to play well with the pandora. I'm wondering if they can be written next to each other (split screen style) and then just combined? So that you'd have camera one on the left, which gets the even lines, and camera two on the right, which gets the odd (and some way to reverse them if necessary). I also wonder if this would be too taxing on the system? I'd love to try it though.

The color filter thing is something separate that should still work on the pandora, assuming that the appropriate chunk of code is brought over. That has been tested on other systems and just requires those two color glasses. I'm looking for the immersive 3d experience, with the correct colors.

emil10001 said:
Well, from what I understand about the problem, which admittedly isn't an awful lot, is that it uses an interlaced output where on the even lines you have camera one, and on the odd lines you have camera two.
This is "interlaced" stereo. I'd forgotten about this. This can definitely be faked in software with no special hardware. (Might be tricky with OpenGL ES, but I'll bet someone clever could work it out.) It's probably your best bet for Pandora-based 3d stereo. (Not counting anaglyph, of course.)

I'm not sure which displays support interlaced stereo though. I use a variety of stereographic stuff in the course of my job and I can't remember the last time I used a headmount that supported interlaced stereo. Is there a cheap set of glasses available that works with interlaced stereo? That'd be awesome.

These are the ones that I'm planning on getting:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_av310w.html

The cheaper ones do 3d too, but I want widescreen. I'm figuring that there's no point in trying to get anything better, because we'll be driving it with an interlaced s-video signal, which these can handle. So, for me, the price and functionality is right. And I hope that you are correct about being able to do the interlaced stereo on the pandora. I'd love my own personal, portable VR setup.

emil10001 said:
These are the ones that I'm planning on getting:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_av310w.html

The cheaper ones do 3d too, but I want widescreen. I'm figuring that there's no point in trying to get anything better, because we'll be driving it with an interlaced s-video signal, which these can handle. So, for me, the price and functionality is right. And I hope that you are correct about being able to do the interlaced stereo on the pandora. I'd love my own personal, portable VR setup.

They really don't explain much about these glasses. But the model numbers on these things seems to indicate how many thousands of subpixels they have. (Each pixel == 3 subpixels.) If we're talking 16:9 that works out to around 426*240. Not Exactly high-def. (The 4:3 model is 320*240)

I'll bet you could totally drive one with a Pandora, though. That would definitely be fun.

polkunus said:
wait what about the people who never bought quake?
If you've never bought Quake3, you could play OpenArena, which is the same code with new content that's extremely similar to the old content.

Or you could buy Quake3, I suppose.

VRAndy said:
polkunus said:
If you've never bought Quake3, you could play OpenArena, which is the same code with new content that's extremely similar to the old content.

ok ill go "buy" quake and if it is good... ill go buy a second copy!

VRAndy said:
polkunus said:

Looks interesting, this "Open Arena". It has Bot Support and a good bunch of Q3 Mods is compatible, including "bid for Power", nice! :)

Quick question, if they get a Quake 3 port done on the engine, about how much harder would it be to port games built off of it- i.e., the Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy, Star Trek Elite Force 1 and 2?

Back