Quake 3

TomCooksey

Still Fresh
I've noticed a few people mention that Quake 3 has already been ported to the Pandora. If it has been ported, who's done it and where can I get the source?

I ask because I've been learning my way around with the IOQuake3 code ready to do the port myself. I don't want to put the effort in if it's already been done. :)

It has not been ported to the Pandora, what we said was it will make a great show off for the 3D hardware. You are welcome to work on the port if you want to :)

Cool... I'm porting it to use Qt as a backend rather than SDL at the moment... so far I've got it to build and display a garbled window... Well, at least it isn't segfaulting anymore!

Once I've got it running on desktop GL with a QGLWidget backend, I'll start on porting the renderer to OpenGL ES - probably ES 1.1 as I think it's going to be easier than 2.0. Plus I know it's already been ported to 1.1 before. :)

Before you say it - I have an (experimental) EGL backend to Qt/X11 - so we'll be able to run it under X as I think that's now set in stone for the Pandora UI?

When Q3 will be ported, will it be the latest Game Version? Do we need to patch it or is the Patch already in the Port or must the Patch ported to? Or how this could work?

I just asking because usualy you need equal Revisions to play online or in a network. (Well at least I hope we can play Q3 with the Pandora together with someone onto the PC).

I have no idea... I'm working with ioquake3 svn and am using the game files from OpenArena as I don't have a copy of Quake3.

And it's not really the case that 2.0 is more difficult (especially under the environment you are describing) it's just missing allot of what is the backbone of the 1.1 pipeline, and in it's place you just need to use Shaders. Since it's not fixed-point they are programmable and you could probably play around with it to make the game pop. Just look at the difference spec on the Khronos group site http://www.khronos.org/opengles/2_X/ .

Game_over said:
you just need to use Shaders.
Yup, it's entirely possible to replace the entire fixed function pipeline with shaders - it just takes a lot of time and requires you to reimplement a lot of functionality. There's also a lot of OpenGL ES 1.1 which can't be replaced with shader (the matrix stack for example).

Rather than having to reimplement massive chunks of the 1.1 pipeline and re-write half the Q3 renderer module - it's just easier to target OpenGL ES 1.1. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Cooksey said:
I have no idea... I'm working with ioquake3 svn and am using the game files from OpenArena as I don't have a copy of Quake3.
I have the Original 1.0 Game release Version plus the 1.32 point release Update. I can imagine that a Q3 port will require Graphics/Sound/Maps and some Gamefiles from the Original Game so I hope I can use the latest Point Release Version of the Game.

If you can play against other Pandora users, does it matter which version of Q3 you're using?

everybody needs to have the server-version of the game

if the server is 1.0, everybody need to have 1.0

if the server got the newest patch 1.32c or whatever, everbody need that version

Well I've posted on the ioquake3 and the guy who did the Quake 3 port to the iPhone has posted his patch against 1.32b (ioquake3 is based off something newer I think).

So I guess the initial cut will be based off 1.32b, but I fully intend to get my patches into mainline ioquake3. Well, I say my patches, but someone else has already done most of the hard work already. :)

Tom Cooksey said:
Game_over said:
you just need to use Shaders.
Yup, it's entirely possible to replace the entire fixed function pipeline with shaders - it just takes a lot of time and requires you to reimplement a lot of functionality. There's also a lot of OpenGL ES 1.1 which can't be replaced with shader (the matrix stack for example).

Rather than having to reimplement massive chunks of the 1.1 pipeline and re-write half the Q3 renderer module - it's just easier to target OpenGL ES 1.1. :)

There are many places you can download a shader which has already reimplemented the fixed function pipeline, a quick google search is all that's required.
Anyway good luck with your endeavours, it will be great to see this working on a Pandora, especially if local WLAN or bluetooth netplay is possible :p

Julius said:
I believe the Q3 source mod Xreal:

http://xreal.sourceforge.net/xrealwiki

Has already done the conversion of the Quake3 renderer to OpenGL2.0 (e.g. shaders only), thus it might be a good start for a OpenGL ES 2.0 port.

That is indeed a very interesting project - thanks for the link. Looking at the source code tho, it looks like it only uses fragment shaders and relys on the OpenGL fixed function pipeline for vertex operations. Might be a good follow-on project, as they seem to have implemented some pretty advanced stuff for the renderer, bringing it almost up to id tech 4, feature-wise.

If Queake 3 is possible on the Pandora, then the original Unreal would also be, no? I am searching for an open source linux client presently. If we could get something as visually stunning as Unreal was, that'd be interesting.

BackAssward said:
If Queake 3 is possible on the Pandora, then the original Unreal would also be, no? I am searching for an open source linux client presently. If we could get something as visually stunning as Unreal was, that'd be interesting.
No.
The Unreal source code is not available.

Megatog615 said:
BackAssward said:
No.
The Unreal source code is not available.

What's this then?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openut
http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=ProjectI...KSDPUUFBTXF8R1F

I see a few other sites with Linux versions as well (my understanding is that the original Unreal used the same engine as Unreal Tournament).

Edit: I just noticed how old those repositories are, and this port may have died, or maybe not. Still, there was a Linux port and the source was released from what I've read.

Back