Quake 3 - Worth doing?

Dingo_aus

Website
www.users.on.net
Interested in people's views of porting ioquake3 to the OMAP3350.

I am aware that several people have ported Quake3 to OpenGL ES platforms but it seems like no one is willing to GPL that code.

I'm not sure if someone else here is already doing it or not (gave up stalking these forums after the second anniversary of my Open Pandora order placement). Currently I'm developing for the BeagleBoard and soon for the PandaBoard.

I already have ioquake3 working on the BeagleBoard (C3) under Ubuntu with Mesa software emulation of Open GL. Now I'm wondering if it worth taking the time to port it across to OPen GL ES 2.0 to make it playable.

I would be very interested in hearing about anyone else who is already doing this.

but it seems like no one is willing to GPL that code.
FYI: The whole Quake3 code that was released is GPL, everything based on it HAS to be GPL'd.

If you want to get started, pick one that you think could be a nice fit, ask for the source and threat the shit out of him if he's not willing to give it to you.

AFAIK we already have Quake3/ioquake3 running with OpenGL ES on the Pandora, so what exactly is the purpose of this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested in people's views of porting ioquake3 to the OMAP3350.

I already have ioquake3 working on the BeagleBoard (C3) under Ubuntu with Mesa software emulation of Open GL. Now I'm wondering if it worth taking the time to port it across to OPen GL ES 2.0 to make it playable.

I would be very interested in hearing about anyone else who is already doing this.
Pickle have ported Quake3 to gles. He didnt release the sources, but I'm sure he will do it if you request it. In the mean time, he released the source of the Quake port to Wiz (which is based on the pandora port) You should have a look to it (So you have nanoGL in hand and how to use it).

FYI: The whole Quake3 code that was released is GPL, everything based on it HAS to be GPL'd.

If you want to get started, pick one that you think could be a nice fit, ask for the source and threat the shit out of him if he's not willing to give it to you.

AFAIK we already have Quake3/ioquake3 running with OpenGL ES on the Pandora, so what exactly is the purpose of this topic?
Exactly. There is even an official statement:

http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=5&lang=en

"It is fast enough to emulate many other systems, run a full desktop, access the internet via FireFox and play games such as Quake3."

:lol:

I could be wrong, but i think most quake gl es *ports* use a library that implements a GL 1.4 fixed function pipeline over gl es 1.1

so quake is still running plain old gl like it has always done, nobody ever really converted it to gl es

like i said i could be wrong about that.

the license of that *should* be GPL because the FSF says "same adress space" is a combined work, but this rule is overlooked alot. LGPL allows this distinction.

Obviously I'd love you to do it. I've seen a few things, both Pickle's port and some guy who ported ioquake3 to the N900 but I don't know if the source is available for these, even though it probably should be. As some have said, just try asking Pickle at least.

I do believe these aren't full ports, but using wrappers of some sort to change the OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES calls (that's what I gather as a layman, and has been mentioned).

A full GL ES port of the engine would be great though.

Since I'm not looking to double up efforts on Quake3 I will leave the current ports of Quake3 alone.

I'm going to focus on RTCW:ET.

I've had some success (not yet working though). Google Code project here:

http://code.google.com/p/rtcwet-arm7-oges2/

RTCW:ET would be a good multiplayer experience..

I wouldn't mind seeing a PND of Urban Terror. For those who want something like Counterstrike. It's a pure Quake 3 mod, I believe it can just be put in a subdirectory of the quake3 directory. The only difference between the Linux and Windows version is the installer.

RTCW:ET would be a good multiplayer experience..

I wouldn't mind seeing a PND of Urban Terror. For those who want something like Counterstrike. It's a pure Quake 3 mod, I believe it can just be put in a subdirectory of the quake3 directory. The only difference between the Linux and Windows version is the installer.

Only problem with multiplayer for Quake and friends is that Punkbuster won't be supported because PB play their cards close to the chest. Therefore only non-PB servers will let you play.

Only problem with multiplayer for Quake and friends is that Punkbuster won't be supported because PB play their cards close to the chest. Therefore only non-PB servers will let you play.

I can live without Punkbuster, I was thinking about hosting some games for the Pandora community and most likely will password protect it for only use of both the forums.

I have some very good dedicated hosting I'm not utilizing to the fullest.

Ok let me set the record straight on quake3 and pandora.

There have been 3 ports for pandora.

1. Vanilla Quake3 with Nanogl : Works well, wraps opengl to opengles 1.1. Source should be on the ftp, but i dont remember the exact name. If you really want to look just ask. Nanogl source is the same included in the wiz/caanoo sources.

2. Iphone Quake3 port : dont remember trying this one but the source is on cpasjuste's github. This also wraps the opengl to opengles.

3. Ioquake3 port : Theres a guy that works for nokia that did this port for n900. Cpasjuste and I took what was needed for pandora. Cpasjuste has this also on github, I think my local branch might have some changes that never were uploaded back. If you want source just ask (i think i might have this on the ftp too) Only real bad thing with this is a problem with the textures being transparent. This port is a straight conversion of the opengl code to opengles.

Back