Quake 3 On Xgp

Vimacs posted on Aug 21 2005 at 09:34 PM said:
it comes with a open sdk, but what do this have to do with this?
Since when? I could've sworn that was one of the distinguishing factors between the new systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
iignotus posted on Aug 22 2005 at 05:24 AM said:
Vimacs posted on Aug 21 2005 at 09:34 PM said:
it comes with a open sdk, but what do this have to do with this?
Since when? I could've sworn that was one of the distinguishing factors between the new systems.

They are both the same, but XGP is 3d capable OGL.. thats what i always thought anyway.

Gamepark have already mentioned that they're porting Q3 to the XGP. And for the last bloody time, just because a platform isn't open source doesn't mean that you can't code for it (the gp32 isn't open source). And as far as I know gamepark haven't said they won't be releasing an sdk.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Aug 22 2005 at 04:52 AM said:
Nice, quake 3 running on a handheld would look good..

Now if there is other pc games ported with simular gfx quality id be interested in getting one.. :)

Wow the quake 3 engine was used in a lot of games, Call of Duty % Soldier of fortune 2, they are a bit more advanced I wounder if they would run on lower graphic quality?

Very Excited about this! :)

woogal posted on Aug 22 2005 at 08:11 AM said:
(the gp32 isn't open source)

I think the GP32 is Open Source

Steve-O posted on Aug 22 2005 at 11:45 AM said:

And the source is where exactly? I know only a handful of people who have access to the leaked source, and that makes it far from open.

And i bought my GP`s thinking it was an open source handheld console, Damb, What a disappointment, I may as well sell them now. :rolleyes:

It obviously doesn`t really make a great deal of difference whether open or closed source, There are ways round it for the really determined.

Trooper

woogal posted on Aug 22 2005 at 05:49 AM said:
Steve-O posted on Aug 22 2005 at 11:45 AM said:

And the source is where exactly? I know only a handful of people who have access to the leaked source, and that makes it far from open.
Source of what? The OS?

Jesus, you bitches.

The handhelds will unlikely be open source. The kernel(linux) will be open source in the GPX2, and that could well be about it. All of the Ports of Games/Emulators will be open-source. Most dedicated emulators/games probably won't be/arn't *shrug* shame. The handhelds in question do allow you to develop easily for them. Through a propriatry interface. Fortunatly SDL on the GPX2 is a well documented and used in about 80% of all linux games. XGP is still a little unknown, although it will have a development kit thats described as open-licence which could mean just about anything.

why don't people realise that we will not know anything until the consoles are actually released? I've never seen an open-source console, just consoles that allow you to easily develope for them, and run applications created by just about anyone.

For comparison, Of all the released handhelds I've played with, I'd say the gp32 started of the most closed, as it would only run signed applications until the freelauncher thing came along.

Back