Release Quake 2 Yamagi

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Ive update the quake 2 yamagi pnd. Its been some time since the last update.
Its includes all the open sourced expansion paks.
I also built it through ptitseb's codeblocks and its using gl4es. Its running very well.
It also includes a software render now for those interested, but the GL 1.4 render is much nicer.
Dont use the 3.2 GL render, it just leads to a crash.

Link
-
(I also suggest removing the text config files from the quake2 appdata root and let the latest from the pnd copy down)

Nice!, I've been playing it on my vampire accelerated Amiga 2000 lately, but it gets a choppy when a lot of action is going on, But I still have the urge to play it so the Pandora will do.

Hi all !

@Pickle : thanks for updating your package :) I just bought Quake 2: Quad Damage from GOG and it's running like a charm !

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi all !

@Pickle : you're welcome :D

Btw, I just noticed that cl_showfps doesn't work (set in config.cfg or with the in-game console).

Am I doing something wrong ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

P.S: maybe I'm not using the right config.cfg file ? There are two of them, one in appdata/quake2/baseq2 (the directory I copied from my GOG installation), and the other in appdata/quake2/.yq2/baseq2

Hi again :)

@Pickle : I think I understand what's going wrong...

When I run out of ammo, there's some white warning message appearing at the top of the screen, but it's barely readable because actually almost off-screen...

Maybe cl_showfps does actually work, but I can't see the counter because this time it's completely off-screen...

I also noticed some key binding issues. For example, you can't map two different actions to the right trigger and to SELECT (Ctrl). Both keys are recognized as Ctrl in-game. Pressing the "use item" key also brings up the next weapon, even though the two actions are mapped to two wholly different keys...

Cheers, Magic Sam

P.S: could your GLQuake-ES package benefit from a similar update ? ;)

I would focus on the config file in ,yq2

What might be happening the screen resolution initially was 800x500 since that was the closest.
I added 800x480 though and thought it was good, but maybe the wrong video mode is still set?
Maybe try setting the video mode in game again and see if it changes? Ill try the option myself too.

Ill take a look at the key control. Not surprised if the game resolves both as the same in-game key.

I havnt really changed anything with the GLQuake-ES. The only benefit would be compiling with gcc 8, which i doubt would change anything.
Is there something specific you are looking for?

Yamagi project is very active and I actually had not updated it quite some time. So it made sense to.

Hi all !

@Pickle : you were right about the screen resolution. It was set to 800x500 on my end, hence the display issues. Thanks for your help :)

Just entered the warehouse btw ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1553453948,1553445839][/doublepost]And the OGG music also plays very well, as per the documentation:

https://github.com/yquake2/yquake2/blob/master/doc/02_installation.md

Cheers, Magic Sam

P.S: just entered the jail area btw !

P.S.2: I believe this is the first time I listen to Quake 2's soundtrack, as this is my first legit copy of that game (used to play a cracked copy as a teenager) :D

Hi all :)

@Pickle : I'm having a lot of fun playing Quake II, thanks again for porting it to the Pandora !

While most of the time the game runs at a playable speed, the FPS meter does at times fall well below 20 (even under 10 on one occasion) on my Rebirth unit OC'ed @825MHz... The game remains playable though, but it's somehow "disappointing", given the age of that game (20+ years)...

I see you use the 3 following @ptitSeb 's gl4es options in your run script:
export LIBGL_FB=1
export LIBGL_BATCH=1
export LIBGL_FASTMATH=1

I'll toy with them a bit, see if I can squeeze some more FPS out of my good ol' Pandora :)

EDIT: the game also freezes every now and then, but I believe this is related to the loading of OGG files from a slow SD card.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
@Magic Sam

I just noticed im underclocking by default from the launcher at 500 mhz.

Code:
<CPU Speed>
cmdpath=/usr/pandora/scripts/sudo op_cpuspeed.sh
cmdarg=%na%;1;400 Mhz;400;500 Mhz;500;600 Mhz;600;700 Mhz;700;800 Mhz;800;900 Mhz;900;1000 Mhz;1000;1100 Mhz;1100

You can edit this line in the profile.txt to add more clocks like i have above or add your specific clock.
Push the edit item button, select your new speed, click default (changes for all)
Color highlight should change and the new clock should be run for any game.

Edit: actually i dont think this is working. Ive made some changes on the launcher that seem to work.

Last edited:
Hi all,

@Pickle: I added 825MHz to the list of possible clocks in profile.txt, but to no avail. The game feels even slower now than before (but that could be just in my head though)...

Will you release the changes to the launcher you mentioned in your previous post ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

P.S: just entered the mines, the game feels painfully snow in that level. The boss level just befre that one was running at ~8 FPS too.

Last edited:
you probably missed my edit, it will take code changes to get the cpu clock setting working as expected. For now try overclocking from the xfce widget.
Im still finding bugs with the launcher, once ive know everything is working as expected then I will update other pnds that use the launcher.

Might be interesting to build the opengles path just to compare against the slow maps, but i need to work on the launcher first.

Hi there. Just installing this.

First time I copied PND, then Baseq2 files and launched.

Nothing happened, Deleted all files tried again, got Q2 Pickle launcher

executed and booted
Wrong Resolution so changed to wide screen
Seems nice and smooth
Cannot configure left nub to move forward and back/ strafe
After trying some setting wont open again.
Deleted all files and installed fresh and is booting again
Still can't get nubs working.

Anyone offer a helping hand here please?

Thanks as otherwise this looks beautiful

Back