Yamagi Quake 2 ..pak

Did you change the screen size un game? You need to quit back to pickle launcher then restart the game for supply the new screen size correctly (just remember the proper sequence to press to quit out of quake nicely!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you change the screen size un game? You need to quit back to pickle launcher then restart the game for supply the new screen size correctly (just remember the proper sentence to press to quit out of quake nicely!)
that could be it too, something with EGL is not working out right when the video res is changed.

In the previous version to this (the one that defaulted to 320x200 screen size, you could change it directly to full resolution without restarting the game, this one gives you a black screen first (hope that helps somewhat?)

Have a quick suggestion based on some quick investigation, adding in stencil shadows doesn't seem to impact the frame rate noticeably and looks quite nice. Also, if I set the Pandora gamma level to 200, that makes the game much brighter and easier to play. It's it possible to write a startup script to change that automatically, then change it back on exiting the game? I know you were going to do something similar with swapping the nubs around?

Better yet, It might be even possible to tie the screen gamma to the quake2 slider so it could be changed in realtime. The startup script could grab the current value and reset it on shutdown. This might be better then the opengl quad since that would waste resources.

Anyone know the range of the screen gamma? I will check the xfce control when i get chance.

I can also also turn on stencil shadows and i will get the nubs in better shape.

That seems like a neat solution to the brightness issue, especially if you can tie it into the in game GUI. Thanks again for your continued work on this, the Pandora is certainly going through a FPS renaissance at present! :)

All I did in my trials was to adjust the simple gamma setting from 100 to 200(the Max). That gave a nice vivid image in the game, but still plenty of shadow where needed...

next build upcoming has the pandora gamma support, mouse swaped with 4x multiplier on movement, stencil shadows turned on.

if you notice slider doesnt remember, try deleting the config from .yq2 folder in the appdata. I think it was conflicting with the one in baseq2 for me at least.

I have exactly the same problem as LardLad. The menu and the demos render correctly, but as soon as I start a game the screen goes black and I can only hear the sound effects. I've tried deleting all of the config.cfg files I could find in my q2 folder, but I still get exactly the same problem. Also, changing the game to windowed mode does nothing while in the menu, but after loading a game it changes to windowed mode.

Edit: also, trying to start one of the expansion packs just starts q2.

Quick test on today's build, game still started by default at 640x480, had black screen when changing to 800x480 as before. Game was automatically much brighter though, and gamma settings returned to normal upon exiting the game

^I'm having the same issue.. the gamma slider does seem to work though.. but when trying to up the resolution to 800x480 or starting a new game I get a black screen..

So far I've only tried my 1Ghz Pandora ( SZ 1.55 )

I tried doing that, but setting gl_mode to 5 doesn't seem to fix anything other than setting the resolution to 800x480. The screen still blacks out whenever I change the resolution, switch between fullscreen and windowed mode, or start a new game. Perhaps you could copy and paste your config.cfg file for us, since I assume the game works for you. Maybe there is some setting in the default config that the pnd creates which causes the screen to go black?

There are not any config.cfg in the pnd, so if delete them all the quake2 binary will use its compiled in defaults (which currently is 4 for 640x480). Dont use change res/ fullscreen / window modes within the game, it doesnt work. The only setting that should be used right now in the video section is the brightness slider.

Delete all config.cfg's look in the hidden folder .yq2 and the baseq2 (and any other mod folders). Run the game and quit. Find the new config.cfg and change gl_mode to 5. Start the game again and you will have 800x480 fullscreen and it should not go black starting a game.

I will change the default mode for the next version.

I erased the quake2 folder, copied the new pnd file and ran the game.  Created new baseq2, rogue and xatrix folders.  Ran the game and increased the brightness to maximum.  When I select New Game it runs it - I can hear it - but the screen is black.

I did modify the config.cfg to set gl_mode to 5 before running the game.  Still get the black screen.

Thanks, maybe you can help me track this down.

Do you see the demo running?

Did you set gl_mode to 5?

Can you try with setting eglport.cfg eglmode to 1 (is stencil set to 8?)

I do see the demo running, even before I changed the brightness.

I did modify the gl_mode to 5 (from 4).

I'll try the eglmode change and post results...

Stencil was set to 8.

After modifying eglmode to 1 it takes me back to the launcher when I try to start a new game.

Back