Yamagi Quake 2 ..pak

C

CocoCreekFisherman

This one is a stumper for me.

I do not know how many .pak files are needed.? The documentation is not specific from what I read. It just states I need .pak files in each sub-folder...are they all the same for each?

I had 3---- pak0pak, pak02pak and pap09pak in all in the folders..appdata> xartrix,ctf,basq and rogue subfolders.Perhaps there are more yes? I know there is a config file which I have forgotten the name at the moment.  :huh:  Does this file remain outside the other subfolders in appdata or is it too placed in each? 

Last but not least I read nothing of a wad file...is a q2 one needed in each subfolder? 

There does not seem to be any PC file gathering needed to play this pnd other than the files I mentioned. Is my assumption correct? I attempted all possible combos with the files mentioned here...also wad and wadless '''i like that word''' :p

I have other iterations of Quake2 for my Pandora but I read this one is aces !!!

Mr. Yamagi  <_<

Last edited:
wad's were only used for the doom engine, not sure why your bringing them up.

if you installed the games on your PC you will find that the game data is placed into subdirectories. For instance the original data should be <where you installed>/quake2/baseq2.  Look in the base2q folder and you will din inside *.pak's. You could copy the entire baseq2 folder but all you need is the *.pak. Copy the *.pak's into <your sdcard>/pandora/appdata/quake2/baseq2/

For the expansion paks repeats the same process and put them into other folders like rogue or xatrix. To run them the command would work: quake2 -game rogue. My launcher although takes care of this and will launch on any subdir located in the appdata location.

Here is my file set up....in Quake 2 folder i have..baseq which has pak 0,1,2 maps lst , players folder and game86dll

ctf same as baseq only no players folder

rouge same no players folder

xatrix same no players folder

also have..DOCS,quake2.exe,ref_gl.dll, ref_soft.dll, yq2.cfg and 3.2 changes txt

I can get the Quake 2 start menu but nothing will load. I knw I have the wrong files but I do not know how or what the correct ones are. :eek:

you only need *.pak files. are you sure this is the full retail version, not shareware?

check the log file in /tmp for hints to what might be wrong.

I copied the entire retail folder, but pretty sure I only need the PAK file like pickle says.. here is my directory structure:

Screenshot-baseq2.png

So...when attempting this configuration again ..are you trying to explain to me that I only need that 1  pak file found in sub folder baseq and this is all I need for the other sub folders[[[ctf,xatrix and rogue]]]?

I had 3 pak files and 4 items with the players folder....hmmm I am going to go digging again.

Seems too easy  :huh:

@TrashyMG.. I thank you  for this helps me with a perspective. Going to give it another go now........

Last edited:
So...when attempting this configuration again ..are you trying to explain to me that I only need that 1  pak file found in sub folder baseq and this is all I need for the other sub folders[[[ctf,xatrix and rogue]]]?

I had 3 pak files and 4 items with the players folder....hmmm I am going to go digging again.

Seems too easy  :huh:

@TrashyMG.. I thank you  for this helps me with a perspective. Going to give it another go now........
hooyah...It works! I just put the 3 pak files from baseq folder in rogue,ctf and xatrix subfolders and it all came together. I was making things more complicated then need be. :wacko:   :p

@trashyMG..Thanks kind mod,,once again'' for you helped me crack this gord .Funny though that I have more players in my baseq folder though and 3 pak files vs 1.

@Pickle...thanks for your attention. This has so much potential but I know you have exhausted all avenues.

Excellent port when it plays !!! Intros are awesome too. But a tad buggy as you well know. Unless there is some configuration to correct I am not privy to?? Is this commonplace ??

Yamagi Quake 2 played smoothly. The other versions had problems. :unsure:

Ending intro scene before it ends freezes game and I had to hard reset to exit.

Rouge freezes after intro and I had to hard reset to get out...as did CTF & Xatrix the moment I touched the d-pad. ...pity indeed.

Is there anything else from my end I may do?

Playing @900mhz on 1 gig with latest firmware.

Sorry to carry on or be repetitive but this is such a shame indeed and perplexing..almost a travesty :angry:   :( .. because the actual Yamagi Quake 2 plays so very well....equating a 5/5 on the repo. Why the other versions freeze is a mystery to me?

Last edited:
I don't mean to carry on so about this port but shall I assume that this is the status quo? ^

The actual Yamagi Quake 2 plays fabulously...it's the Rogue,CTF and Xatrix modes that are problematic.

Last edited:
Well Yamagi Quake2 isn't an emulator it's a native Linux port based off of the original quake 2 source code. but I suppose that's semantics..

I have the two of the expansions I just need to dust off the CDs.. I can give them a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Yamagi Quake2 isn't an emulator it's a native Linux port based off of the original quake 2 source code. but I suppose that's semantics..

I have the two of the expansions I just need to dust off the CDs.. I can give them a try.
I would totally appreciate that,,needless to say. ;) ...changed emulator to port^^.

Last edited:
I have all of the exp's setup, I thought they ran ok when i tried.

I do have a new take on yq2 which I hope to release soon and I know they work for it.

Most of the freezing was from trying to use the nubs for mouse look. If it looks just move them again and it will come back.

Looking forward to your updated Quake 2 PND, I think it's by far the most playable of the Quake series so far! (not sure if anyone has the time to go back and polish up the other ports)

I have all of the exp's setup, I thought they ran ok when i tried.

I do have a new take on yq2 which I hope to release soon and I know they work for it.

Most of the freezing was from trying to use the nubs for mouse look. If it looks just move them again and it will come back.
@Pickle ...Please do not think I am debating you for I know your knowledge is superior to mine here.However I must declare that CTF,Rogue and Xatrix also froze upon touching the d-pad and when skipping through the intro. I could not kill it via Pandora button so I had to hard reset.

Sorry. :(

I will attempt again now just for clarification.**

Again,,Yamagi Quake 2[baseq] worked excellently.

**There is no freezing when the nubs are used to view or fire but the moment the d-pad to is touched to walk the entire game freezes and requires a hard reset.**

Better news....perhaps old news for some.... <_<

***Well I arranged the controls so the right nub produces walking forward.The movement is not quite as fluid as I would prefer but... It seems this has remedied the static freezing problem . Though there is sporadic slowdown and stoppage. I found touching the nub as you suggested worked to resume play!! :)

With Yamagi Quake 2 Baseq I am using the d-pad for forward walking and it works flawlessly.

Ok I am done here...sorry for the babble it's just that I see so much potential in this port!!

Last edited:
Apologies for the gravedigging of this topic, but with all the great work being done at present with FPS ports on the Pandora (and I am indeed enjoying them, even though I'm as crap as I ever was on Quake 3! :blink:  ), I'm just wondering was this freezing issue ever fully sorted out? I don't remember it happening too much while I played the game, but it did occasionally crash back to the desktop. It' be great to have flawless ports of the Quake series with great nub and mouse controls! (is there currently a port of the original Quake with mouse controls?)

Well I think Yamagi is ya goni....nothing has been done since I began this thread.

I do play GLQuake-ES very well and it is on the repo. Also ReMood Vol. 2 plays Quake 1 very well and is also on the repo. Actually I like the Quake 1&2 games better than 3....I know I am the minority here  :huh:   ;)

Oh yes I forgot there is also a conversion of Quake on ReMood Vol 3. called Quake 4.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ya goni? and yep im lazy
Appreciate the candid remark  :D
Not going to tell me what ya goni means?

In truth the changes and approach I took with glquake have been applied to yamagi quake2. I want to make another change to the vertex memory allocation and then I think im done. Aside from any bug fixes, since I havnt tried the nubs with the latest stuff.

ya goni? and yep im lazy
Appreciate the candid remark  :D
Not going to tell me what ya goni means?

In truth the changes and approach I took with glquake have been applied to yamagi quake2. I want to make another change to the vertex memory allocation and then I think im done. Aside from any bug fixes, since I havnt tried the nubs with the latest stuff.
Goni = the urge to be reliable and responsible that can cause an emotional intensity that is hard to control... ya= an interjection showing impatience...or it means 'i'.    :p

Last edited:
Back