Q: Warranty At 800Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WizardStan said:
Kyosys said:
At the start it was "if you solder on it, but the damage is unrelated, you will still get a new one". Unless that changed, I don't see why it shouldn't be the same with overclocking.
That was a long time ago. Almost a year ago I brought it up and MWeston made the excellent point that even the skilled can make a mistake; leave a little piece of solder floating around, it accidentally touches something unrelated to the mod you made, and pzap goes the board. He said then, way back at the start of 2009, that even opening the case will void your warranty.
Oh. Well, it's still different with overclocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
aq21 said:
Poem58 said:
aq21 said:
Squidge said:
Ok, so how about we have a built in overclocking utility that lets you select the speed you want (and OPP level), but if put either outside of spec, it pops up a warning box notifying you that doing so will void your warranty (and of course will log the overclocking request to some super secret flash built into the omap so any repair requests can tell that the device has been overclocked...)

OK?

Not going to work. If overclocking causes real damage, it will probably be to the OMAP, so how are you going to read the super secret flash? You could open the OMAP and physically and examine the flash, but that is probably going to be more expensive than actually replacing all OMAPs in all Pandoras.

the could set it up like V-GER from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and have the Pandora fry something noticable inside then they can open it up and go "Ah, stupid overclocker"

Yes, now sounds like a great time to revise the board.

Seriously though, maybe have it make some kind of log file on the SD card when overclock settings are used, something normal users couldn't read? Have the OS create on on insertion so everyone has one period. When you send in your Pandora for warranty service you have to email them the file for warranty consideration? it would show the last change you made if any?

Getting serious for a minute, a small company that is funded by its users and using all free software does not sound like the ideal option for implementing this intrusive feature.

Star Trek joke to lighten mood. Ridiculous suggestion of making files for a situation that will likely never be an issue, as in my last line you failed to quote.
Maybe you hadn't read the whole thread, so no malice intended here. Some of us are just trying to prevail to cooler heads.

the only thing I take issue with in any way is Craig saying Vimacs was blackmailing him. he was just trying to say that if he couldn't support a project that has the money maker's slamming the customers. if that is blackmail we do it everyday, including myself when I tell my son if he throws yogurt on the floor again he will get a spanking and go to bed. I understand Craig's thinking on this, but just like many things in this thread it was an over-reaction which he made up for when he gave the code to Skeezix. all he intended to do with his post was make it clear he would not do free work to financially benefit someone who would profit while they simultaneously said disagreeable things to a (potential in this case) customer.

My bet on all this is, once this thread dies, and Craig talks to the team, it will be determined there is nothing to worry about. Then it wall all be for naught. the only bad thing is that Craig and Vimacs has to have a disagreement to the severity he could no longer work on the project, when all he wanted is to know Craig wasn't intending to be just write off a customer due to some comments. There is no confirmation he has done so despite strong suggestions and statements. However, Vimacs was angered enough to quit, he has that right and did right by the community by giving the code to another trusted Dev so we would not suffer. Not much of a Blackmail there. Just a person who had a conviction and went with it.

if cooler heads, or better posts had been in play here, then none of this would have happened.

"All things will pass" and like I say every time these things go atomic "Pandora's in hands will heal all wounds" I can't wait for that day...

Wow, what a day... When I started reading this post it was light now it's dark outside.

It's a shame that respected contributors have to leave a project, come back.. do it for MW, Ed and the "Team". At times I wonder if it should be called the Pramdora. It is a real shame as on the whole everyone has been amazing from the sales team to ED, MW and the core developers. I've worked with customers and software for over 8 years now and not once would I even consider using such language and attitude. Some of the letters we recieved were hurtful with more F and S's than an eddie murphy movie but you have to take it on the chin. Granted at times we complain and troll about things but in fairness we've been really patient and I've always been honest in saying that ED and MW have kept my interest and my order alive. I've read many comments on here that make me want to just phone and cancel but ED and co have always calmed down my phone fingers.

When I used my GP2X I used to overclock all the time as it was always an option. I never thought about warranties and in fairness other things broke like the circuit board and the nub fell off. If overclocking is a no no then we need to know what emulators will be playable. For me it's the amiga that I want to play at full speed. I'm prob being thick here but didn't we see a video of amiga games running on the pandora already.. Why have we gone backwards with this to it not being optimised etc.

about 30 pages have probably passed since I started writing this. Lets hope we have happier days ahead as today has been one of the saddest and most dissapointing since I first saw the project.

I said I wouldn't post in here again but it's just so sad what this has all done.

In essence this is a community project, with people like Vimacs helping out where the OP team does not have the time or expertise. Vimacs, I'm really sorry you felt that way and I hope you reconsider, I thank you for taking the high ground in passing your work on to the benefit of us all and hope you return. Hopefully this means we can see your work in production Pandoras. Community and business only mix so far, there have to be defined limits for the good of everyone, so we all know where we stand.

Overclocking potential has always been a feature of sorts, to me, of this project. It's not been promised, it's not been guaranteed, it has definitely not firmly been placed within warranty. However I think everyone has enough sense, and there is enough expertise in the OP Team to work out some limit here.

Not every Pandora chip is created equal, they've all got different potentials, all we know is they're rated up to 600Mhz and that is the official max speed from TI. The fact that they started binning these parts into higher speed grades later on, might indicate that they can be pushed higher - some of them, perhaps all, it's individual. Furthermore evidence from the team appears to show that these chips can be pushed to around 800Mhz, but again this is on a case by case basis.

Personally I was encouraged by the post of someone saying they clocked it at 600 and 800Mhz and tested the temp after two hours with a 1 Degree centigrade difference between them (it's in this thread somewhere as a quote). This is why I believe something like 800Mhz without over-volting would be an acceptable limit for warranty. In the end it's OP's call, but there has been a bit of an understanding, from my view, that overclocking won't be clamped down on stupidly, that we'll all have a sensible hat on.

Let's get this thread back on track with talking about warranty and overclocking. Craigix I'm glad that you appear to be in a calmer frame of mind and appeal to you to have a long, detailed discussion with the other members of the team regarding oveclocking. Bearing in mind what has been said in the community and also bearing in mind the protection of OP Ltd (which we all have an interest in succeeding). I sincerely hope we can come to a conclusion that does not involve an outright, arbitrary ban on overclocking.

We're all on the same side here, we all want the Pandora to succeed. I want to see the community supporting OP and OP reciprocating in this. I wish to see these heated remarks forgotten and sense to prevail.

Thanks.

WizardStan said:
even opening the case will void your warranty.
It won't. You can't make warranty policies at will, you have to follow the rules. If you open your Pandora case and 3 months later your LCD ribbon breakes because of a manufacturer's fault, it will still be covered under warranty.

mali said:
Actually the laws in Europe prohibit this kind of universal warranty voiding. Even warranty stickers are irrelevant. The fault has to be related to a fault of the user. If you overclock und the USB port breaks, it's still covered under warranty.
European warranty laws are a lot more customer friendly than Canadian ones. Here, you do anything that breaks the warranty, the company is under no obligation to help you. If the fault is obviously unrelated to whatever you did to void the warranty, they usually will, but they don't have to.

Kyosys said:
BaDToaD, it's really not an isolated incident.

Indeed but likewise it's not an isolated incident for people to get pissed off with Craig often when a situation is totally out of his hands. I know one thing. If I was him I'd be bloody annoyed at people calling me a liar all the time.

Personally I think Craig is a nice bloke under serious pressure almost 24/7 and has been for a couple of years. I think a lot of us would have folded under that pressure. Kudos to the OP team for coping with all the shit we throw at them!

BaDToaD said:
Kyosys said:
BaDToaD, it's really not an isolated incident.

Indeed but likewise it's not an isolated incident for people to get pissed off with Craig often when a situation is totally out of his hands. I know one thing. If I was him I'd be bloody annoyed at people calling me a liar all the time.

Personally I think Craig is a nice bloke under serious pressure almost 24/7 and has been for a couple of years. I think a lot of us would have folded under that pressure. Kudos to the OP team for coping with all the shit we throw at them!
There are several instances of craig undeniably lying or purposely deceiving people. There is no other way of putting this.

WizardStan said:
European warranty laws are a lot more customer friendly than Canadian ones. Here, you do anything that breaks the warranty, the company is under no obligation to help you. If the fault is obviously unrelated to whatever you did to void the warranty, they usually will, but they don't have to.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying :)

Eh, I have decided that craig was dishonest long before I canceled my preorder. I figured I ordered from ED anyway and I could just ignore him, but they are a company together and there was only so much I was willing to take. It's very tempting to never cancel your preorder because there's always an atmosphere of being very close. Craig seems to be the main offender of creating this atmosphere, and I can't blame him because it keeps the customers happy. But it also completely ruined his credibility. (Along with other untruths). I guess if you want to support pandora you have to use a certain amount of doublethink.

But in fairness you don't throw oil on a fire and hope it will burn itself out. There's been many times when I've been really angry, not at the situation but at how the situation is handled and how at times sarcastic responces with almost arrogant tones just make people feel belittled. Those mystic one liners are a classic example.

All I've ever wanted is Honesty and Respect for those who are in the project and the team. I'm happy to say that the majority on this board have earned my respect (even thogh I'm sure that's not worth too much)

BaDToaD said:

I see your point and partly agree. A reasonable solution is to just talk about it, and problems solve themselves. I think that Craig partly enjoys this to vent a little, so he has to live with a bloody nose.

I'm sure the reality is that everyone will overclock their Pandoras, no damage will be done, and we'll all have fun.

However, OpenPandora have to cover themselves really. Howabout a worse case scenario... a new emulator release comes out, say an enticing one, N64 with a built in overclock option to 1000mhz. We all whack our Pandoras to the max, and then (worse case scenario, remember) in one week 1500 Pandoras die. There has to be a policy in place even if in actual fact the possibility of damage is next to zero (if we're not all upping the voltages!).

Real shame about Vimacs. Thanks for all your hard work and thanks for passing on the code to Skeezix, who is a worthy man to pick up on your work.

i think people seem to be under the impression this is all a bit of a lark for the team, that people can just say whatever and it doesnt affect anyone. we've had discussions about craig and perceived honesty for a long time on here and thats the point, we dont really have any idea whats been going on and its unreasonable to expect any details but if i was someone who had been endlessly hounded by a handful of people every day for 9 months to a year and had my character bashed about all over the place whilst i tried to help bring you something quite nice, i would probably have pulled out of the project myself let alone seen red a few times.

this project has been naieve and when preorders started we didnt really have a good idea of what to expect. a lot of assumptions were made and we have had 18 months of excessively hardcore speculating on every issue and at every point it has been to the detriment of the project. developers fighting, customers cancelling orders, people losing money and probably a good few mental breakdowns. if there was ever a reason why product development wasnt made a public thing, this is probably exactly it. for all that we think we are a positive and constructive community our collective noise is actually more damaging and its a minority 2-3% who actually make something like this great. how this has ended up is really really sad and the main voices in this thread still seem more interested in making their point than realising that all this essential pettiness (its OVER clocking because its OVER what it was designed for FULLSTOP) is nothing compared to losing another mind who could bring more to a project.

i expect most people will say tl;dr but this is the main reason why this thread should have been locked and stopped ages ago

RenegadeChic said:
i expect most people will say tl;dr but this is the main reason why this thread should have been locked and stopped ages ago

Completely off-topic but I think the popularity of that phrase just shows how the attention spans are shortening, because of an infinite amount of media available that will present information extremely compressed or superficial.

Chest Rockwell said:
no one likes you
Yes, you surely make a great point... Oh, you are an ass? I missed that part.

If you have a problem when someone points out the flaws in your posts, or another's posts... perhaps you should look inward and not lash out. It's ok to accept your self loathing. Maybe you just need time to breath... not project your own self loathing onto others. You might feel better.

RenegadeChic, I respect you, because you are a reasonable person most of the time. What you say is right,
_but_

Saying "overlocking causing harm is new to me" is easier to write than several lines of insults.
Human interaction can be _so_ simple by following certain rules.
If someone continuously breaks those rules, I tend to say it's deliberate and all further consequences are justified.

A lark for the team.. No I am sure the majority think it's been a tough and demanding project from the very start to the very finish. Also I'm sure that everyone is thankful for all the hard work that has been put into the project.

but yes the thread did split in 2, one side toweards overclocking the other side towards respect and professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back