Pyra without decent web browser?

My concern would be the speed and memory requirements. And of typical ad-drenched websites not simple retro forums

All commercial websites I tested work nice, smooth and fast! It's a real pleasure :happy:
Needless to say that you can't expect same performance with 50 open tabs like on a desktop environment...

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I do prefer firefox and the launchpad build works much better than the one in the debian official repo.

The one that replaces the ads with its own ones? Never tried it, I want a navigator that displays what is expected (which does not include ads at all in my case).
Well I still don't have a Pyra anyway.
You're welcome for this useless comment huh :)

The browser wars.... Another war of attrition
It's less about "browser wars" now, but more about http "standards" bring an utter train wreck and only getting worse, especially with Google et al trying to DRM and monetise the entire web (and passing it off as adding "security").

In an ideal world, in my opinion, no individual company should ever (have had) more than a 30 percent influence/hold on any single mainstream tech in use.

The Digital Services Act isn't about to do us any favors either. It too is passed under the guise of "online safety", but will mean zero tolerance for opinions that aren't mainstream-compatible. Orwell would love it.
We're living in interesting times.

Since Buster is still the official and most stable PyraOS release, it is sad to report that we now cannot use any current browser except Firefox ESR 115.
If you installed the Vivaldi deb package in the past, it now conveniently updates via apt package manager to... a not supported version!

I don't know what the very last working version of Vivaldi is, but at least the very fast v6.2 is still working. You should remove Vivaldi from the repository list or prevent updating with apt-mark hold.

So the last still supported browser is Firefox ESR 115.

The last Firefox you can use on buster is the Ubuntu 18.04 build of Firefox 117.0.1 from mozillateam on launchpad. But they removed the download for firefox_117.0.1+build2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~mt1_armhf.deb

Does anyone know where still to get it and how to get the last working Vivaldi release for buster?

Last edited:
Does Pyra support any sandboxed package managers eg snap or flatpak?

Yes, no problemo.

Code:
$ sudo apt install flatpak snapd
$ sudo snap install core snap-store
$ flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://dl.flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Can’t we just use that then to run newer versions of certain* software without touching the underlying os?
Thanks you added a new thing for me to test out on my copper Pyra. :happy:

flatpak + snap use lots of disk space. So I'm curious to see how much impact they have on the embedded 32GB Pyra storage.

I think from the 32GB the Pyra got, whe should have easely 20 gb free space, our Debian is not that big, the Image of Bookworm is 720 mb

If flatpak and snap got every package allready on your Drive, then, perhaps the 32 gb are much to small..

Thanks you added a new thing for me to test out on my copper Pyra. :happy:

flatpak + snap use lots of disk space. So I'm curious to see how much impact they have on the embedded 32GB Pyra storage.
The disk space is negligible when you boot from a SD/mircoSD card, I am more concerned about the performance.
If you're testing web browsers via Flatpak or Snap, can you report how they perform compared to browsers installed from the repository?

At least, we can still use Mosaic, the timeless browser.
It compiles well on the Pyra :D

Last edited:
The disk space is negligible when you boot from a SD/mircoSD Card, I am more concerned about the performance.
If you're testing web browsers via Flatpak or Snap, can you report how they perform compared to browsers installed from the repository?

At least, we can still use Mosaic, the timeless browser.
It compiles well on the Pyra :D
Everyone forgets Lynx. :(

And if you want the best of Lynx + modern web browsers, Linux Magazine clued me into Carbonyl existing.

Back