Pyrafox: The Optimized Browser

Is the fault with the browsers, or most websites?
Most websites, since they don't stick with internet standards but rather to googlenet non-standards. Only browser projects with massive manpower can keep up with that. And for all I know, there's no browser with that kind of manpower behind it AND the customizability that Mozilla just dropped years ago.
Not saying Firefox' old API was pretty - it was rather ugly as shit - but it made the browser fully customizable. Palemoon keeps that alive, which is why it's my main browser, but it struggles regarding the first point, which is why I drag a more close to the base FF variant along, for which there's at least uBlock/uMatrix.

Luakit should be just as customizable. Haven't tried it to see, what it may make of all the sites. Of the more complicated add-ons I want, I might see myself reimplementing TabMixPlus, if LK's API is nice to the programmer, but uBlock/uMatrix not so much - not sure about dark theme enforcers. I'm not much of a web developer.

I'm pretty happy with Vivaldi on the PC, and also (if I really have to) on Android.
Sorry, left out, what I moan at first. Now that you know?

I remember a Time where i used the Pandora for Internet Browsing and it dit work perfektly, shure no Videos back then but i ditnt had any issues.. later in its livetime when i startet the Browser for something to download, it was quite anoying, the Adds dit slowdown the whole prozess, and the animatet parts of the Websites,
On Pyra its quite possible to surf the Web again, maybe not the Video Part, but at least i can get acces to the Boards, even Twitter, allthough i had to dissable the Media there..

But as my Eyes dosnt get younger, the Pyra is not my fafored Device for these Tasks anymore.., its great for Mobile Emulation, and a bit Office Stuff, but the Screen could be 4 ° Bigger..

Sorry, left out, what I moan at first. Now that you know?
I can't understand the meaning of this phrase... are you referring to the fact that websites suck ?

Opera was the most customizable browser I ever seen, it failed because was sticking to the standards, they wanted the engine clean, but most sites (with IE, Chrome or mozilla tags) obviously had issues... so they started to send as updates CSS and UserJS that were used by the browser to "correct" the "broken" websites layout in realtime... at some point this became massive and almost impossible to maintain... R.I.P.

I used Firefox for many years, from the first Beta to version 3, and after they added the plugins system I needed a lots of them, that made the browser fat and slow... then I tried Opera, and not only was way faster, but I was able to do the same stuff without adding anything... it was incredible.

Vivaldi (the "real" spiritual successor to Opera) is using Chromium as a base, but they are doing an incredible job at making it (hugely) customizable and light, and they are also reintroducing some unexpected functionality of the old Opera.
Even if it has compatibility to Chrome Plugins, I don't need them, because the browser has already all the advanced functionalities I possibly need, like with the old Opera.

Last edited:
@PowerGod I meant like how's Vivaldi in light of what I dislike in browsers today (in those I know that is). I guess I have my answer. I'll give it a try.

Vivaldi (the "real" spiritual successor to Opera) is using Chromium as a base, but they are doing an incredible job at making it (hugely) customizable and light, and they are also reintroducing some unexpected functionality
Re "light", the thing I don't like about Vivaldi is the unneeded built-in stuff, like ad blocking (which uBlock purportedly is much better anyway), and why does it need a game? It's like Emacs all over again.

Re "light", the thing I don't like about Vivaldi is the unneeded built-in stuff, like ad blocking (which uBlock purportedly is much better anyway), and why does it need a game? It's like Emacs all over again.
I could have been with the same idea, if only those things crippled the functionalities, but instead they are constantly adding more and more stuff, and all works incredibly great... I mean, I have a session with 499 open tabs (and some other sites in the left panel) that is faster than an empty Chrome, both on launching and during the use !!
It has also a mail client / calendar / rss feed integrated, but you can just keep them disabled, and the only drawback is a bigger installer.

I was using adblock plus at the beginning, but when they integrated the functionality it became not only faster and easier to use, but also able to use exactly the same filter lists, so for me it changed in a better way.

If a browser is "light" could also mean that while it works great, it also lacks things that you then have to add with plugins, and those are more heavy than integrated functions.

Last edited:
It's not a war, everyone has their own preferences, but for example @ClockworkCoder expressed an opinion that I thought myself many months ago... even I criticized the inclusion of Vivaldia and I wasn't so sure that an integrated adblock was a good idea, but then turned out that they managed those things in a good way.

Also, I always try different same products for months before choosing "the only one" to use... and when Opera died I felt lost... there was absolutely no browser around comparable... maybe only Firefox with at least 24 plugins, and still felt incomplete...

So I started to follow the development of the new Opera, that is still very clean and fast, even faster for the GX version, but lacks customizations and many functionalities (that must be added with plugins)... another good project is OtterBrowser, that is made by a developer that really "knows" what was missed after the death of Opera, but it's almost a one-man work and will require a lot of time to see something "complete"... and then Vivaldi appeared... pretty much a base Chromium with a different, and little ugly for me, interface... I was unsure what to think of it... required many months to see some "basic" Opera functionalities appear, but they kept working hard on it, they started to include many customizations, and THEN I realized it was actually happening, it was really becoming different from the other browsers, like Opera was.

Vivaldi will never become like the old Opera, it's impossible, Chromium works in a different way, but they are trying really hard to make it as similar as possible, if not better in some functionalities.

Perhaps I should try it again. I do like the idea of the notes feature, and I guess I should get used to it for with the Pyra.
With Opera I was almost ignoring that feature, except for some fast copy/past I wasn't able to see the actual potential... but in the last years, maybe because Vivaldi added more integrations to it, I became massively addicted... the notes quick search (even the global one with F2) finds even words inside the notes... if you select the name of a note (maybe after a quick search) and do a CTRL+C you will copy the actual content, you can select a text on a page and create a note with it that will have attached a little screenshot of the original page and the link to it... on a form you can right click and choose the content of an existent note to be pasted there...
Also if well archived with folders and "tagged" titles I find it super useful as a quick reference for different programming languages and scripts:

VIM - Exporting in a new window the search results of global
VIM - Example of pipe after global
SQL - Example of Teradata copy table structure with data
SQL - Example of SQL Server copy table structure with data

Also, the thing I likes the most, is that all the notes are saved in an XML file, so if for some reason the browser is unable to start (never happened to me, but I always try to think about a plan B), you can still access them with a text editor... well, you'll have to remove tags and all but yeah, it's doable.

Back