Pyra Blender File

Brown. It is hard to pull out a dark color, I´d prefer black or grey, but here it goes.

View attachment 12505

Yikes - that may work for a cool prototype, but it would be completely impractical for a commercial device.  The main device deep orange (kinda brown) isn't horrid, but the nubs wind up being downright fisher price worthy. 

Thank you for making that so I now know better than to ask for it.  It really does cross over into the hideous side of things.

Strange, when I download the images they are about 90kb instead of the original ~350kb.

But Ekianjo took the images to PandoraLive and there they are close to what they are supposed to be.

How does one download the original uploaded picture?

Has there already been a render with #FF0000 for the case body and #000000 for everything else?

I think the buttons should all be black, to match the keymat.

Brown. It is hard to pull out a dark color, I´d prefer black or grey, but here it goes.

View attachment 12505

Yikes - that may work for a cool prototype, but it would be completely impractical for a commercial device.  The main device deep orange (kinda brown) isn't horrid, but the nubs wind up being downright fisher price worthy. 

Thank you for making that so I now know better than to ask for it.  It really does cross over into the hideous side of things.
Very Disco!

Must have for when I wear blue rollerskates with yellow wheels and sweat bands, and eat mentos all day B)

Here the c64, forgot to change the angle a bit.

If feels strange with the action parts at one color not matching the keyboard overlay background.

c64.jpg

View attachment 12505

Actually, I think if you brought the two shades closer together... Lighten up the case and darken the controls a few shades.  It wouldn't look too bad.

May I also make a request?

#F0E6D1 Bottom

#000000 Lid

#211909 Actionstuff

erico - I see what you were talking about with dark colors being difficult to 'pop'.  Since we're working with plastic there won't be the richness or depth to a dark color that can be attained with dark pearl paint on cars (for example).

You mentioned that you would rather do black or grey.  I have a grey that I like...  

#444444 is nice, a bit darker than charcoal without being confused with black - should compliment black keyboard and buttons nicely.

If #444444 is too dark, #555555 brings it up a bit.

I have come to a personal conclusion on the buttons and nubs.  They almost have to be black.  As seen in my above request, anything that doesn't blend into the keyboard's black background is gong to look out of place - even if it is a color used in the keyboard.  On the bright side, that means that the case itself can be nearly any color.

Haraldur - #FF0000 is too bright IMHO.  Maybe darken a bit to #BB0000?

That orange almost winds up looking Bakelite brown.  I wonder what happens if the buttons are all turned dark bronze or flat black on it.

Then that blank spot on the front edge to the right of the SD slots is just begging for a copper/bronze DragonBox label/sticker.

Steampunk influenced?

Yep, mixing the control´s colors is very hard apart from the same keymat background color.

I have an idea, I can output a PSD layered image where with GIMP you can super easily change colors, or even some of the materials. It´s dead easy to deal.

That way we can all try colors and stuff. It is fun stuff!

I will try to do a few set of angles too.

Any candidate for the display on the Pyra?

It won´t look good to change later because the image on the lcd paints the plastic a bunch.

Yep, mixing the control´s colors is very hard apart from the same keymat background color.

I have an idea, I can output a PSD layered image where with GIMP you can super easily change colors, or even some of the materials. It´s dead easy to deal.

Can you do a dark red pyra with black nubs d-pad etc? Dark red but just on the bright side.

I was kind of wondering if/when you'd get overwhelmed by the "what if...?" requests.  If you can produce something where the colors can be swapped out in GIMP, that should allow more of us to play with it.

Thanks again for humoring my oddity request.

That orange almost winds up looking Bakelite brown.  I wonder what happens if the buttons are all turned dark bronze or flat black on it.

Then that blank spot on the front edge to the right of the SD slots is just begging for a copper/bronze DragonBox label/sticker.

Steampunk influenced?

So - that got me thinking - which is always a dangerous thing.

What if the shoulder buttons, D pad overlay, nub tops and stylus (with replaceable nylon tip) were all molded/cast in actual bronze metal?

Hmmm...

Strange, when I download the images they are about 90kb instead of the original ~350kb.

But Ekianjo took the images to PandoraLive and there they are close to what they are supposed to be.

How does one download the original uploaded picture?

Make sure to click on the images to open them up in the viewer thing before saving, the embedded ones are compressed (though they have the same resolution for whatever reason, maybe because my screen is big enough)

Edit: Also, once you're done with whatever other colors you're doing, could you do another black one at a better angle?

Last edited by a moderator:

I was kind of wondering if/when you'd get overwhelmed by the "what if...?" requests.  If you can produce something where the colors can be swapped out in GIMP, that should allow more of us to play with it.

Thanks again for humoring my oddity request.
Exactly, in fact it is quite hard to guess the actual color looks, the color info helps a bit but if one can actually do it, better combinations will sure come out.

Really fancy renderings, I strongly have to improve my Blender-Fu alot, I stuck to long with Blender 1.49. ^^"

I tried an metal case just for fun but this only looks good with an propper environment with an actual "world" setting (for reflections etc.). Found some nice materials by the way in the web: http://blendermada.com/  

Quote said:
I was kind of wondering if/when you'd get overwhelmed by the "what if...?" requests. If you can produce something where the colors can be swapped out in GIMP, that should allow more of us to play with it.
Better than GIMP is an preset Blender file where you could just change your colours and materials like you want, should be easy to do actualy to make it beginner friendly, I just don't know how.  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, transparencies and reflections need environment, current object with both together like the acrylic also takes the render from 1 min to 1 hour and hogs the station.

The blender file is impossible since I took everything into lightwave for the realtime render.

Gimp will be the most accessible way.

With the clear case, i think the edges of the scren will make the bezel into a sort of ambilight spectacle with the light from the logo on the back. There is already open-source code for such, could be interesting.

Back