Pyra Blender File

Umm... well.. the Blender file isn't really meant for printing, just for rendering :)
I imported the STL but didn't take care of any dimensions, so it's probably totally off :)

Fair enough.  I'll just manually measure and compensate and hope for the best.
Can you confirm the dimensions as exact as possible?  Is it really 140mm wide?

The Blender Pyra is actualy ~10x to large, if you count 1 Blender Unit as 1cm. :D   But it should be possible to scale it correctly, however, it's recommended that the 3D Printing program does that before printing. Not sure if the export in .stl or a printing format can do this already. 

1 unit = 1mm when exported, actually, which makes it ~1:1, but it's that "approximately" that's the problem.  I'll do a more exact measure of it tonight, but it looks like it is about 1.03x too large, in which case I'll just scale it by 0.97.

1 unit = 1mm when exported, actually, which makes it ~1:1, but it's that "approximately" that's the problem.  I'll do a more exact measure of it tonight, but it looks like it is about 1.03x too large, in which case I'll just scale it by 0.97.

Blender units can be anything actualy, you can set this up somewhere. 
Units_panel.png

Blender shows me the measurements of the Pyra and in this case in Meters. :D   
x=169.77m
y=105,378m
z=22.191m
(all for the base unit)
Just select all and scale it all together so that x=140m (or mm or whatever) wide or so, then the rest should also fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, measured 170mm.  I was way off on my estimate.  I'll just scale it back to 82.4% and Bob's yur uncle.

Fusion_Power got a little over 22 meters.  I am too lazy to calculate what it would actually be.  Google says 82.4% of 22.191mm is around 1.83cm which seems way off.  29mm, like WizardStan said, sounds closer.  I wonder about those Blender dimensions.

Edit:  Just saw that was the base only, so may be accurate.  Around 3cm total.  Now I want to compare Pyra and Pandora in a video or picture if they were ever shown side by side.

Fusion_Power got a little over 22 meters.  I am too lazy to calculate what it would actually be.  Google says 82.4% of 22.191mm is around 1.83cm which seems way off.  29mm, like WizardStan said, sounds closer.  I wonder about those Blender dimensions.

This is only for the Pyra base. I'm looking for the base + lid. I don't have an accurate way to measure, but from what I can tell the Pandora base is around 1+2/3 of it's overall thickness (29 mm). That would make the pandora base somewhere around 18mm as well.

Anyone know the z measurement with the base+lid?

It should be 29mm I think.  That's what wiki says.
I think that is the thickness of the Pandora. In the videos so far, the Pyra looks thicker than Pandora. Maybe that is just due to the prototype status? I don't want it to get bigger, but I am okay if it does. I really just want to know so I can get used to the idea and try to estimate the size increase by using my Pandora as a base.

Edit:  Just saw that was the base only, so may be accurate.  Around 3cm total.  Now I want to compare Pyra and Pandora in a video or picture if they were ever shown side by side.

Honestly I am such a freak about this that I pour over every new photo or video looking for this exact thing. I have yet to see anything conclusive...

Honestly I am such a freak about this that I pour over every new photo or video looking for this exact thing. I have yet to see anything conclusive...
I tried looking closely a few times and guessing how much bigger it would be.  That ended when I decided that the printed cases may be a little off here and there since one looked really odd (I think it was the really brittle white one).  I figured it would be thicker than the Pandora due to the modular design with the CPU board mounted below the main one.  I don't know how much it will change things.  Maybe I should measure my Pandora base, as that is where it should gain thickness.  I don't know if the rounded edges and other differences caused any changes in case dimensions.  I suppose I can start carrying a purse, or just start using the lunchbox sized Pelican case I have again.  Nah, maybe I will toss it in a back pocket while walking around.  I will figure something out.

In case anyone is wondering why some of us are so overly concerned about this, I plan on trying to use mine instead of an Android smartphone for calls and messages.  I would need it with me when I am running around doing stuff.  My Pandora is already a bit large for my pocket (fits fine, just somewhat uncomfortable, and I have a big rectangle stuck to my leg).  It is worth it to me so that I can have a real computer, and if I get stuck waiting somewhere I can play much better games, and probably some Android ones too.

It will be a bit thicker, otherwise the battery wouldn't fit.

But it's not that much.

And done.  The keyboard part of the case took me over an hour to cleanup but I did it, more or less.  The rest should be a piece-of-cake.

IMG_20151022_053510.jpg

IMG_20151022_073628.jpg

Looking good. :) Interesting that you don't print this piece flat. But as long as it works it seems OK.

The nature of how FDM style 3D printing works it would be difficult to print the piece flat as there are overhangs and such... WizardStan pretty much did the only way I could think of doing it properly... On the side and use of support material.

Back