Psx4gp2x Public Beta 4 Released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just quickly tested final fantasy 7 pal.

i get around 10 fps ingame with sound and 12 without sound. so sound isn't sucking up that much performance which is great! AND there are no polygon errors in ff7! none! great work zodttd so all it needs is better performance!

Well, seems this release is performing fine. I have some little asm optimization for arm platform comming for the next release, and "posibly" mirror sprites support, but I need to know of a game that uses this so I can test...

Talking with zottd thre are some optimizations ideas we had for the interpreter that wetre not implemented while we were centered in the dynarec that could be a little speedbost...

So we'll try to get another "bug fix" small feature add by the end of the next week...

I tested Resident Evil, Chase the Express, Alone in the Dark, Metal Gear Solid and Dino Crisis 2.
Resident Evil doesn't starts (it does it in the last puplic beta :() and all the rest games comes only to the menu.

UPDATE: I testet Star Trek Invasion and it's work! Ok it is slow :D but it works year! (Interlace 1, Progressive on, Sound off, 266Mhz, VSincRate ~18, FrameRate: ~9-10)

zodttd posted on Oct 4 2006 at 10:41 PM said:
ED: What overclock are you using? I'll test at 266mhz to get a feel for Legend Of Mana and let you know what I get and see if theres some weird setting such as the "VSyncRate" that is changed to speed things up. ;P

Using the RAM timings posted at the other thread and 290 MHz.
I'll try changing the VSyncRate :)

Last edited:
What gives you better performance, lowering vsync? Or raising vsync?

i dunno if its always worked good but international karate is totally playable, however it says the framerate is only 10 in game but the vsync is 60

so are any worthwhile games at playable speed yet or this just a test-as-many-games-as-possible-and-post-results-release?

Can't....Find...Download....LINK!

EDIT: NVM, i feel foolish.

Alrighty here's my test results, i'll add as i test:

1. spyro: Year of the dragon - "Load success" message and then black screen forever.

Okay, what am i doing wrong? I ripped my images into .iso format with magic iso, i put them in the right place, i put the bios image in the right place, and yet whenever i try to load a game it gives me the load success message and then hangs on a black screen! and i only clocked to 210 or 230 on either try. I've tried LoD and Spyro:YotD and they both hang!

AHA! I re-ripped LOD as a .bin and it works!

OKAY!

Legend of the Dragoon @ 266mhz, v-sync around 10000 (fps drops the lower you go) (with sound, but sound is choppy):
Fps in FMV's: 1-3FPS (up to 5 with sound off)
Fps in menu: 6-7 fps (sound mysteriously vanishes)
Fps in-game cutscenes: 3-5fps (looks amazing! sound is almost perfect!), 8-15fps with sound off
Fps in-game: same as in-game cutscene

Spyro: Year of the Dragon @ 266mhz, v-sync around 10000
Fps in menu: 0-3-4fps (sound VERY CHOPPY!, sound off makes no change)
Then it hangs on the ``an evil plot unfolds`` screen :(

Castlevania: Symphonia of the night @ 266mhz, v-sync around 10000
Fps in FMV's: HITTING 5-35 FPS WITH SOUND!!!!! (sound is bloody choppy though)
Fps in menu: Hitting 17FPS! But sound mysteriously vanishes :(
Fps in-game: Anywhere from 9-13 fps, sound is choppy as hell

I conclude SOTN most playable of all the games i tested.

Great Work ZodTTD! I'm lovin the new release. :) I've also made a few vidoes for anyone who's interested...

Final Fantasy 7

Rapid Reload

Ridge Racer 4

Ace Combat

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried the new release - just with Ridge Racer (1).
My gp2x now overclocks to 266 (used to just work at 250) - may be due to just recharged batteries? Didn't think it would make a difference with nimh.
Anyway - quite a playability change between 266 and 250 - seems to take it just over that speed level where it's not too painful :)
Excellent improvement - esp nice to hear sound if wanted.

Boredom made me try Klonoa. Ran kinda slow, I'm estimating 10FPS (didn't have the FPS counter on, sorry)

HOWEVER, I found something neat. Turned Vsync down so it displayed no frames. Music played...fullspeed on it. It sounded beautifully.

So, zodttd, wanna make a PSF player? :D; *runs*

Anyways, I decided to rerun it and started playing. I loaded the game and let it sit to play the demo after the title. I get about 10 to 13 frames ingame, better if you use Interlace + Progressive. You can actually get half framerate using Interlace 3, progressive or not :) This is with sound off. Sound on, I get a couple frames lower, and the only thing that stutters is the music, really. In some cases the music sounds fine, like the title screen.

Great job, zodttd, I can stand to play it now ^^

EDIT: Oh, right. 285MHz, 5000 or so Vsync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back