Psx4gp2x Build 080207 Released - Frameskip & New Dynarec

Hmm... Again same kind of thing. Not got any figures to precisely say, but for Tales of Destiny the new release again feels slower (Default FS, FPS of ~5 and "real" of ~4 compared with 20 or so last time - Vsynch now is ~30 vs ~60 last release). Definitely characters are moving slower as well as havcing frames skipped.

Also, Intelligent Qube is slower. Last version, on Interlace 1, it was actually quite playable (albeit still far from full speed), but now it's definitely not. Not sure of FPS changes there, though.

That said, since last time I've compressed the images of both games using PocketISO (no ripping, just straight compression), so I figured it had something to do with that...

Or has the wrong mmuhack.o file been packed in again?

Hrmm, I'll just consider this release a bust, while we redo the frameskip option. It seems to still be cutting framerates in half, sometimes with frameskip still being off!

Tobriand said:
Hmm... Again same kind of thing. Not got any figures to precisely say, but for Tales of Destiny the new release again feels slower (Default FS, FPS of ~5 and "real" of ~4 compared with 20 or so last time - Vsynch now is ~30 vs ~60 last release). Definitely characters are moving slower as well as havcing frames skipped.

Also, Intelligent Qube is slower. Last version, on Interlace 1, it was actually quite playable (albeit still far from full speed), but now it's definitely not. Not sure of FPS changes there, though.

That said, since last time I've compressed the images of both games using PocketISO (no ripping, just straight compression), so I figured it had something to do with that...

Or has the wrong mmuhack.o file been packed in again?

I am sure its the right mmuhack.o

I am running both version 07.24.07 and the current 08.02.07 from the same folder... I did this to ensure the only difference between the two are the gpe files. Try running the 07.24.07 gpe in the game folder and see if you notice an improvement... even without the frame skipping I seem to be getting better performance.

I would like to see if other people have similar results or if I am just losing my mind...

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ripster said:
I am sure its the right mmuhack.o

I am running both version 07.24.07 and the current 08.02.07 from the same folder... I did this to ensure the only difference between the two are the gpe files. Try running the 07.24.07 gpe in the game folder and see if you notice an improvement... even without the frame skipping I seem to be getting better performance.
Yep, great minds think alike - this is what I tried with similar results.

zodttd said:
Hrmm, I'll just consider this release a bust, while we redo the frameskip option. It seems to still be cutting framerates in half, sometimes with frameskip still being off!

I wouldn't say bust... nor a waste of time. I believe you have made some great improvements in some parts while other parts have lagged behind. Maybe you just needed a larger test group... ;)

As I said... I don't think anyone in this community would hold it against you if a release was less than perfect... I think for the most part everyone here "WANTS" to lend a helping hand. Some of us just do not have a good enough grasp of the english language and can come across as a little abrupt and or rude. So forgive us... and know that you are well loved... now carry on and get us that next release for us to review... :D

it seems to happen after a certain amount of time. sometimes it even happens in the menu

I wouldnt call it a bust ! For one thing Deep Freeze is a game that i dont think has ever worked on older builds :D and im sure i will find more either today or tomorrow !

zodTTD: I always test same set of games, a mixture of 2D and 3D games. This version is much slower than 0713 release. And I think there's something wrong in frame skipping. Because you can't turn it OFF even you set 0/1.

In the earlier releases most of the in game menus were smooth as silk but in this release they are much slower and skipping even if you set it to 0/1.

I'm not talkin about the compatibility because I don't have many games. But I have a few that didn't work with current release and previous releases.

For the interlacing option; I'd prefer the old one. Current one is flickery even with Interlacing 1.

Thanks again for working for this emulator. :)

Edit: OFF instead of ON

Yeah, certainly don't consider it a bust. It's just not quite what it was supposed to be - but that's ok, since we're all here to try and give you guys enough information to work out why it might not be!

Many thanks for keeping us all keyed up in the first place :)

This release seem to give me the same fps on the game I play for the moment:
Jumping Flash 1.
3-8 fps ingame fs0 interlave 0/1. Still playable.
I don't know if it's me but the render seems to look a bit better/clearer in 3d.

Nice job... graphics look great... much better than 07.24.07... plus a generous increase in speed even with the frame skip turned off. Great job.... not think I am pushing or ungrateful... but do you anticipate you can still squeeze more out of the emu...???

Just curious to see how much further performance increases you feel is possible from emulator...

Heres a video of tekken 3 :-

Tekken 3 Video

Intro is running very well ingame is a bit slow but still great :D:D

EDIT: heres a CSOTN E3 version video :-

CSOTN Video

EDIT: Uploading a MKT video looks great :D:D

EDIT: heres the Mortal Kombat Trilogy video :-

MKT Video

I used frameskip 2/3. 4/5 i think it looked a bit to fast im not even sure that 2/3 wasnt to fast. I hate JADE !

Great job zodTTD! Thank you very much!

Now it looks like frame skipping bug is solved. This is the nearly the same speed with 071307 version. However I was getting 45-50 fps for in game menus, loading screens and other 2D scenes. This is more like 20-25 fps in similar screens. Just for your information zodttd.

In this version 3D graphics are much better in some games. :D

Mmmh interesting. Well first the good, Worms Armageddon definitely seems to report more fps on about 1.5 cycles, 250mhz and ram tweaks.

With Frameskip on at 1/2, real fps decreases, though the framerate obviously increases. However this doesn't seem to make the game go faster - but slower. Perhaps worms timing is worked out independent from vsync. This would mean that a second on the Worms clock is always a second assuming the PSX cpu clock is running at its regular frequency. This would also mean that frameskip is pointless for Worms, I think. Also in view that it is a port from a PC game to the PSX, it would make sense that in game timing is decoupled from framerate. Maybe Zodttd you could clarify that?

Finally there's some kind of bug, I'm guessing its to do with a calculation returning the wrong value or something. Anyway, whenever I fire a bazooka and it hits, every thing on screen blows up, barrels etc, and all the worms are instantly killed... its like Armageddon or something... but obviously broken... I thought briefly it might be I accidentally set on Banzai mod, but that's not what Banzai mode does.. Graphically the explosion is right but I think the value or whatever returned from its impact is astronomically huge - like worms flying all over the place.. Having said that, the shotgun seems to be okay. A bug in the dyna-rec?

Heres Gex again but lookin even bette rthan before :D:-

GEX Video

EDIT: heres a Vandal Hearts video :-

Vandal Hearts Video

EDIT: Heres Resident Evil DC :-

Resident evil DC Video

Many thanks for the videos, CABBAGES! I never heard of Deep Freeze before. Looks very promising...

Regards,
Stephan

Back