Psx4gp2x Public Beta 4 Released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FF8 stats:

The best I could get it running stably was with my Gp2x at 295mhz, and my ram overclocked per that one thread on ram overclocking. It takes a while to get to the "new game, continue game" menu, but sound works good there. When I say new game, the video loads, but even with all that overclocking, the video plays at about 1/2 speed with sound off. It seemed to perform best with Vsinc in the 10,000s. The sound doesn't even work for the FMVs in FF8. When the video finishes, it runs at decent speeds with squall on the bed. Sound works fine now and only slows things down a little bit. This runs better at Vsinc in the 20000s. However, the game still crashes in the FMV with Qustis.

Damn that Quistis...

Note, it does perform a little better with my gp2x at 310mhz, but it is quite unstable and my gp2x crashes randomly at those speeds.

WOOT! GREATNESS ALL ROUND!

Now, even I got around to try this out.

Harmful Park (2D shooter) at 250 MHz:

In game, no sound, both Vsync and Frame seemed to end up around 12-13. Slow, but Very Beautiful! Looked excellent. Sound on slowed it down a little bit, but not much. Sound choppy, of course. Doing the center+VolDown thing to bring the thingamabob down to 5000 gave me up to 33 in Vsync, but the same 12-13 frames. Still - Playable. Harmful park being what it is (A game with Very Many Bullets Heading Your Way), it made the game a lot easier, as well as gave me time to admire the beautifully rendered graphics :)

No optimisations apart from that. I tried to turn on interlacing, which gave me another 4-5 frames but then everything got very ugly, so that was not an option.

ZoTTD, Unai, everybody - Can I have your children? *looks down on self* uh, sorry, forgot - no I can't. But still - Excellent!

Now to try Final Fantasy Tactics...

Final Fantasy Tactics, at 266MHz, works. With sound off, magic number at 5000 I get 30 or sometimes even up to 45 Vsinc, and framerate 14-15. So far in the "we talk a lot" intro to the first battle outside the monastery.

Sligthly difficult to read the text - Could it be a PAL/NTSC thing, or is that font particularily suspectible to scaling errors? Sound drops the framerate to abouts seven. Then, just as the battle was about to begin, I bumped my GP the wrong way (prolly causing a battery glitch) and the whole thing froze :) Anyway, happy happy joy joy!

Probably something to consider for some future revision (not right now really): allow us to choose whether or not to scale... Some games can be too big or even too small for the GP2X. Allow us to turn off scaling and using a screen grab before you go into the menu allow us to move the picture as we want...

Final Fantasy 7 for example is scaled, and it makes thing look a little ugly...

Diablo! DIABLO! lets hear it again DIABLO ON THE GP2X!!! WHOOO HOOO!

Overclocked to 266mhz, interlace @ 1, vsync 5000ish
Menu fps: almost 40 fps! perfect sound!
In-game Fps: 3-5 with sound on, sound is perfect. 6-10fps with sound off! If you set the interlace to 3 its completely playable! very little lag!
Should be noted that it looks like crap with interlace 1, and 3 is like looking through mud though >_>

Soon, soon we will have DIABLO!!!!!

Just tried castlevania which is pretty much unplayable.

Anyone tried something like discworld? Its mostly static GFX so it might run ok. Having said that, its probably the most difficult, illogical adventure game i have ever played. :attach bra to ladder so it doesnt make a sound when climbing over the rooftops...?: yeah..obvious :)

Just tested Parasite Eve @ 250MHz, got 3-5 FPS in the FMV intro and a very constant 7.5 FPS in-game. Still not playable, but it feels much better than it was before. Keep up the nice work guys! Sony and the PSP got nothin' on ya :D

Wow,

great job zottd and unai

ran the following:

XENOGEARS
speed 266
no interlace
no sound
vsync 5000-10000
Menu - 18-23fps
FMV - no display (bypassed)
Ingame movie - 3-5fps
Ingame - 13-15fps

visually looks great!

TALES OF DESTINY
speed 266
no interlace
no sound
vsync 5000-10000
Menu - 23-29fps
FMV - 13fps
Ingame - 15fps

didn't get too far (hate the long intro to rpgs)

again keep up the good work!

drokkeh posted on Oct 6 2006 at 01:13 AM said:
Just tried castlevania which is pretty much unplayable.

Anyone tried something like discworld? Its mostly static GFX so it might run ok. Having said that, its probably the most difficult, illogical adventure game i have ever played. :attach bra to ladder so it doesnt make a sound when climbing over the rooftops...?: yeah..obvious :)

I tryed discworld 2 i will upload a video when i get home form work :D. I was playin constructor again last night it really is fast, Probably the most playable game ive tryed so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs posted on Oct 6 2006 at 05:55 AM said:
I would realy like to have scaled interlancing back.

yeah, scaled interlacing will be good for 3D games without much text! :)

I tried it on FF Tactics, and it runs very smooth, yet slow, with interlacing (but you still can't read anything)
might be good for action/racing games!!

I'm not doing much tests since the next beta will come soon, but speed is slightly better, and compatibility err... some games do not work anymore (FF9...), while some who used not to work, do :) (Gran Turismo, Xenogears...)
Graphics are the same (bugs in oddworld, text in FF Tactics, but OK for most games)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought: Considering most Psx games load stuff from the CD almost constantly, streaming music and such - How much does the access speed of your SD card affect emulator performance? I was a bit surprised, in my tryout, that I got more or less the same fps when running Harmful Park as I did with FFT, considering that at least to my eyes it looks like FFT does quite a lot of rotating 3D stuff around that I would expect to cost more CPU.

Anybody got a real crappy slow noname card and a snazzy fast top-of-the-line one to do a card-vs-card comparison? Or can anyone tell me that from a technical standpoint that doesn't matter?

@ Zodttd, Unai, Tinnus

only a question: is it possible to make the request for changed frames switchable? I might be wrong, but i think in a 3D-racing game for instance nearly every frame is changed and maybe a simple frameskip could be possible without visually losses. would in this case a deselection of this request speedup something?
The vsync-Selection was a great invention to smooth games! :D
but hardwarescaling was a good conception too! ;)

How far along are the optimizations for this emulator? In the beginning, a lot can be done to give huge speed increases, but as you optimize more and more, it becomes increasingly harder to get decent speed increases. I was wondering, how far along in the optimizations is this emulator at? Is there still a lot of room for speed improvements, or are there only minor improvements left?

Hmm, at last. :) I'm going to test this tonight. I have many BINs on my computer ready to transfer to the GP2X. It's too bad the stick has come off the GP2X and it won't go back on (this wasn't my fault, it stopped responding after a while). Does anybody know how I can fix this myself or do I have to send it back to Craig and co.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back