Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

Exophase said:
zodttd said:
I got a very kind PM with a note about whether I will continue this project. I felt I should just publically state, yes I am continuing on with this project. I've just been feeling sick as of late.

I got Unai the updated code, so maybe we can crank things up. :)

EDIT: The newest version of psx4gp2x no longer uses push-stick as some d-pad mod users do not have such a button.
It's been like a week since your last release. There's no reason for anyone to start thinking you've quit. After a year they can maybe start thinking that.

No offense to the person who sent you the IM but people should calm down about this sort of thing (and I mean all people, not just people with regard to zodttd and this emulator) :/

Hi there ;) about the short IM, i might be sorry to have sent it, but i felt first that Zodttd has made a wonderfull job , and I ,as a newbie, wanted to thank him very sincerly. Also, i was reading few days ago he was sick, so, to get some news from Zodttd about it was better with IM, than on the forum. I dont want either to offense anybody else :lol: . Third, i m happy to know he s still doing his best for the GP2x "familly" !!! :D
skateur ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried Crash Bandicoot: Warped and am getting some impressive results (9-12 frames underclocked)...nice work!

zodttd said:
I got a very kind PM with a note about whether I will continue this project. I felt I should just publically state, yes I am continuing on with this project. I've just been feeling sick as of late.

I got Unai the updated code, so maybe we can crank things up. :)

THANKYOU FOR CONTINUE PALMPSX.PRC !!!

ZODTTD,UNAI,TINNUS AND CHUI YOU ARE HEROS ! :ph34r:

I discontinued work on most my Palm/Zodiac projects due to how annoying it is to have to code on that platform. I might be able to bring it back when I get back into a PalmOS project and get my developement environment back up. But until then there's no sign of a PalmPSX. Maybe Tinnus is interested in picking up things again, if so we can talk. I left the Palm port to him but he didn't have much "quality" code to work with.

I'm going to work on psx4gp2x a bit and see if I can find some stuff to optimize. :)

Colony Wars
--------------
270 OC
RAM timings ON
PSX clock 50%
getting around 9-11 FPS

Colony Wars Vengeance
--------------
270 OC
RAM timings ON
PSX clock 50%
getting around 9-11 FPS

They're actually kinda playable in a sick, slow-underwater kinda way :D
Bit hard to read the text though (in the previous build it was a lot clearer)

Also, there's a graphical bug in CW:Vengeance which is kinda hard to explain, but I don't know if these kind of bugs should be reported to Zodttd or to Una-i.

Lobo said:
Also, there's a graphical bug in CW:Vengeance which is kinda hard to explain, but I don't know if these kind of bugs should be reported to Zodttd or to Una-i.
Tell me,also a smal photo would help.. about the text, are u ussin progrefice interlace or interlace at all? try deactivating interlace and see what happens.

zodttd said:
I discontinued work on most my Palm/Zodiac projects due to how annoying it is to have to code on that platform.
read: gp2x has telnet, smb, ftp, usb, multiple toolkit options, openness, etc and now you're used to living in luxury :)

kudos!

una-i said:
Lobo said:
Tell me,also a smal photo would help.. about the text, are u ussin progrefice interlace or interlace at all? try deactivating interlace and see what happens.

No, I'm not using interlacing or progressive: the text problem has to do with the resolution I think, it seems to have changed. A photo is kinda hard to do for me, but I'll try and explain (en castellano tambien por si acaso ;) ).

Anyway, graphical bug:
(english) In colony wars there is usually a planet as the background somewhere on the level, and if you get close to the planet, then turn your ship/point of view so that the planet is behind you, the texture/image of the planet fills the screen and blocks your view of your ship.

(spanish) En Colony wars, normalmente hay una planeta como fondo en muchos niveles, y si te acercas al planeta, y entonces gira tu nave para que la planeta esta detras de ti, la textura/imagen de la planeta llena toda la pantalla y no puedes ver bien tu nave ni nada mas.

This is as we get close to the planet:

This is when we turn the ship so the planet is behind us:

Lobo said:
No, I'm not using interlacing or progressive: the text problem has to do with the resolution I think, it seems to have changed. A photo is kinda hard to do for me, but I'll try and explain (en castellano tambien por si acaso ;) ).

Anyway, graphical bug:
(english) In colony wars there is usually a planet as the background somewhere on the level, and if you get close to the planet, then turn your ship/point of view so that the planet is behind you, the texture/image of the planet fills the screen and blocks your view of your ship.
Ok about the resolutio issue may be it is something related to hw accelerated sdl, now we have two gp2x version one with minimal and other with sdl... I'll ask zottd about the sdl one...

About the bug, seems like a clipping bug, would you say that poligon should disappear? I'll take note and look for it once I get the game.

I'll have a fix for the resolution issue. I know of at least one where resolutions between loading of a new game from within a current game is not fixed.

rokdcasbah said:
zodttd said:
I discontinued work on most my Palm/Zodiac projects due to how annoying it is to have to code on that platform.
read: gp2x has telnet, smb, ftp, usb, multiple toolkit options, openness, etc and now you're used to living in luxury :)

kudos!

No, more to point..

Embedded usually means Pain, but Palm and PalmSource pretty much made PAlm OS the de-factor world of pain.

Don't get me started (I have blogged many rants, as a pro Palm OS dev :), but lets just say..

wtf, no malloc?

jeff

skeezix said:
Embedded usually means Pain, but Palm and PalmSource pretty much made PAlm OS the de-factor world of pain.
heh...when i said luxury it was kind of hyperbole...like not being tear gassed = luxury, etc.

but i see what you mean, it probably has more to do with things like memory management than transferring files... :huh:

A fix for save states might be nice, only save state slot 1 works for me, and even that is tempromental...

Sometimes you click save, and it just corrupts the save state! I got all the way past Midgar, all the way to near disk 2 in FF7, I'd been to rocket town and everything! But saving a state (the only one I can atm) at this point was corrupted :( maybe sync() should just be called at emu exit or menu access, or something, but in some situations, it is making corrupt save states!

Speed might be a nice priority, but some games are playable now ;)

[edit]

If someone cold PM me a working savestate past going to rocket town for the first time, i would be mighty thankfull ;)

have been out of action for a few weeks due to the death of my 2gb sd, but having had a 4gb little friend arrive i am back on course.

tried vagrant story, alundra, vandal hearts and the misadventures of tron bonne - all very impressive, but cant imagine actually playing anything properly with this yet ( i know its still a beta, just saying....).

very nice to see things running as well as they are...still curious as to how much progress we can expect - great work.

ninja sauce said:
tried vagrant story, alundra, vandal hearts and the misadventures of tron bonne - all very impressive, but cant imagine actually playing anything properly with this yet ( i know its still a beta, just saying....).
You should try Striker 1945 and Raiden Project, both at 30FPS most of the time, rarely under 20FPS.

I look forward to more progress, the PSX is really known for being a 3D console, so it will be nice when 3D games are at a playable speed. Even if not on this hardware, the education and work is portable to more powerful hardware that is similar.

Man I would sell my granny to be able to play either C&C:Red alert or Dune2000, but they both will not load(euro versions).
Kinda pisses me off because I saw posts here saying that the US version of C&C: red alert works quite well.

nubie said:
I look forward to more progress, the PSX is really known for being a 3D console, so it will be nice when 3D games are at a playable speed. Even if not on this hardware, the education and work is portable to more powerful hardware that is similar.

Actually I think the PSX doesn't have any real 3D
It's something like 2D polygons rotated/scaled and built together to make a 3D illusion, isn't it?

That's why it can be emulated on our gp2x :)

The first console to feature real accelerated 3D was N64, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

washo said:
I think PSX was already a "full 3D console" (Tekken, Gran Turismo..)
N64 added effects such as anti aliasing and filtering

see you :lol:

from wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge:

this engine is inside the main CPU chip. It gives it additional (vector-)math instructions used for the 3D graphics.

Features:

* Operating performance of 66 MIPS
* 360,000 flat-shaded polygons per second
* 180,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second

Sony originally gave the polygon count as:

* 1.5 million flat-shaded polygons per second;
* 500,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second.

These figures were given as a ballpark figure for performance under optimal circumstances, and so are unrealistic under normal usage.

Back