Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

Tekken 3 works for me (but I don't know if it's pal or ntsc) but FF7 doesn't seem to launch, either from a savestate or just loading the iso (black screen, have to reboot)
Any comments on FF7?

Just realised this but, savestates from versions previous to 041507 will not work with versions 041507 and on. I changed the structure of things and when this happens savestates no longer work. Thats why memcard saves are always better in early development of an emulator. But I understand theres issues with memcard saves for a lot of games currently.

Like you say, its an early develpment emulator, and its just damn impressive I could get as far as I did in FF VII and FF IX (the super short time between releases not factored in ) :D

Re : FF VII (UK, PAL) + The FMV sequences seem a little slower, well, maybe more stuttery, ingame walking sequences seem about the same, if maybe 1 or 2 fps faster, again, fight scenes are about the same, but the game does indeed run.

Re : FF IX (US, NSTC) Game no longer loads, boots to the Published by screen, then locks the GP2X, requiring a power cycle.

Re: Wipeout 2097 (UK, PAL) Used to be able to get <>13FPS max and an AVG of 9-10 @ 280Mhz + Ram timings on PSX clock 32%, its now 10FPS max and an AVG 8-9FPS.

Re : SoulBlade (UK, PAL) Not as fast as the previous version, although I cannot confirm this due to it being one of the higher res games. (so I cannot see FPS)

Also, my gp2x hard locked on me at random times in FF VII at 280Mhz, dropped to 275Mhz and it has not frozen in over 1 hour, so if you are having problems with a game that worked before, and you overclock high, try clocking lower.

(sobs)

DRIVER 2!!! WHYYY!!!!

It now no longer works :( just is a black screen requiring a power off/on

still er, well done for the release. Driver 1 seems about the same, it may be a little bit faster though. both games are UK pal.

zodttd said:
In order for sound to work well, a performance increase will be required.
I fixed a large implementation bug in the dynarec, as well as tried to speed it up. I actually might have slowed it down by the slightest bit in some games, while improving performance in others. I am wondering if I fixed any games with this release. The resolution bug when switching to a different game is still present, I'll fix that soon. I haven't implemented Unai's fixes/changes to the GTE. I'll have to wait for his updates to come.

More to come, but for now release 041507 is on the build directory. Hopefully this release shows some differences between the last in a positive manner.

:)
Hi.
What's your priority on implementing volume control? It's seems like now the GP2X is always running at its MAX, which I doubt is very good for the speakers nor the player. :p

I heard you had some problems with memcard support for FF7, but I hope you'll find a solution to it eventually.

Then I also have one last question. I'm currently using build 040607 and the resolution seems to not be correct.
In FF7 if text boxes appears at the bottom it's not possible to read as it gets cut off. ( This also causes some letters to be very hard to read. )
zodttd said:
The resolution bug when switching to a different game is still present, I'll fix that soon.
Guessing it's this.. ;) But it's not happening when I switch games, it's present from the very beginning.

And last but surely not least. ;) THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR WORK! :D If I wasn't short on cash you'd be getting my donation a long time ago. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhapsody seems to work slightly better now...with some random pushing of "Start" and stuff, I can get to a "Nippon Ichi Software" screen, after a "Published By Atlus" screen. Then when I actually try and start the game, the screen turns black and hangs there. The thing is, this doesn't freeze anything. The emulator keeps running and the FPS continues to dance around, and I still have access to the menus. While in this state I tried messing with the PSX Clock just to see if I'd get any luck. When I lowered it to 58% (after raising it to 120%), it froze my gp2x.

Any chance of getting memory cards working soon? I know it's not as high a priority right now, but at least I won't have to suck down the entire opening of FFVII so often ;)

PokeParadox said:
You could use save states in the meantime :)
zodttd said:
Just realised this but, savestates from versions previous to 041507 will not work with versions 041507 and on. I changed the structure of things and when this happens savestates no longer work. Thats why memcard saves are always better in early development of an emulator. But I understand theres issues with memcard saves for a lot of games currently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for development slowing down on psx4gp2x. It will pick up soon again.

Meanwhile, I've been catching up on commercial work I need to do. I found out a new Clevo model is out, although it's about $1000 more. Hopefully the commercial work I do will pay for it. In the meantime I'm trying to find a buyer for the Clevo M570U notebook. The price dropped on the M570U due to the new model, so it's a struggle.

For those who are wondering, you might find it interesting to know...Clevo is whats known as an ODM. They make the configurable notebooks sold to companies such as Alienware and Sager where they're either branded or in Alienware's case, given a paintjob. Alienware then is able to add more money to the pricetag by offering a name-brand and their warranty.

Anyways, back on topic. I need to think about how to continue with psx4gp2[3?]x. I can polish it up, but things need to improve in terms of performance before those features can really be used by the general public. So I need to figure out how to improve performance without spending way more time on things than it may be worth, which happens when doing this sort of thing.

I finally got hold of a copy of wipeout, that is wipeout 1!

OMG! This game, and not wipeout2097 should be the youtube vid! It plays well at 250Mhz with PSX clock @ 40% and interlace 1+progresive on.

OMG! If you were female, you would have my babyz Zod!

wow you are impatient... zodttd has got a life you know?

yeah but there is a way around it ^^. have a look into the discussion cube on the offtopic forum. it's in there somewhere, preserving free speech and the exorbitantly excessive usage of swear words :ph34r: damn right!

The forum or the thread? Post counts are down in general. :(

I haven't figured out what to do next with psx4gp2x. So not much news to give as of yet. I'll speak to Unai and hopefully he can get me motivated. :p

Are you at a point that some part could be farmed out to the 940..?
I realise this is no easy task and shouldn't be considered before eveything's stable. :)
The only issues I have seen are strange off-screen vertices on Tekken 2 in the 3d parts.

Or are there still other dynarec optimisations/fixes to be done?

Back