Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

reiboul said:
nubie said:
I look forward to more progress, the PSX is really known for being a 3D console, so it will be nice when 3D games are at a playable speed. Even if not on this hardware, the education and work is portable to more powerful hardware that is similar.

Actually I think the PSX doesn't have any real 3D
It's something like 2D polygons rotated/scaled and built together to make a 3D illusion, isn't it?

That's why it can be emulated on our gp2x :)

The first console to feature real accelerated 3D was N64, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)
Well, polygons don't have to be 3D you know ;). I meant 3D as in "known for its 3D games", not that it necessarily contains 3D Acceleration chips of the Hardware Transform and Lighting variety. The core titles for the PSX, Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot, NFS:Hot Pursuit, Metal Gear Solid, etc etc etc, were 3D in that they aren't made of 2D pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds.

Javaguy said:
from wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge:

this engine is inside the main CPU chip. It gives it additional (vector-)math instructions used for the 3D graphics.

Features:

* Operating performance of 66 MIPS
* 360,000 flat-shaded polygons per second
* 180,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second

Sony originally gave the polygon count as:

* 1.5 million flat-shaded polygons per second;
* 500,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second.

These figures were given as a ballpark figure for performance under optimal circumstances, and so are unrealistic under normal usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason why some people argue that PS1 doesn't have a 3D accelerator is because the polygons primitives are issued with 2D coordinates, which makes it impossible to apply perspective correction texturing (and other things). But the GTE works on 3D vectors, so you can argue it either way.

mm, I personally think that it is 3d, even if it is software 3d.

besides, you could argue that if it looks 3d, then it IS 3d, because real 3d is just a case of tricking the eyes. Its not real 3d as in holographic :p

Hmmm, Final Fantasy 9 runs pretty well, and the fight scenes seem to be a little faster than FF7, even though these is usually more stuff on the screen, also text boxes work even with interlace 1 progressive on (although it makes fast scenes look terrible) - all in all a great way to show off my gp2x at work ;D

I'll make a vid eventually, if nobody beats me to it :)

@yodaofborg: Like that? ;)

hackgrid said:
So I decided to make 2 videos of WipeOut and Final Fantasy 9 with my crappy digital camera in a dark room in my cellar so you don't see my reflection ^^

Both games are played mostly with the standard psx clock, FF9 in the last minutes with psx clock 20-50%.

Here you go.

The emulator is running at 310 Mhz with ram timings ON.

Wipeout: http://weltenbrand.eu/files/gp2x/wipeout_psx4gp2x_040507.avi
FF9: http://weltenbrand.eu/files/gp2x/ff9_psx4gp2x_040507.avi

damn i really need to buy a tv out cable :p

btw ff9 seems to have different movie formats. In the first intro sounds works but graphical glitches are there. In the second intro (after starting a new game) sound does not work but there aren't any graphical glitches.

LegendaryMachine said:
...Zodttd hasn't posted in a while...I hope he's feeling okay...
Well, he's online in my Messenger, so he's alive and well, don't worry. :)
Maybe just doesn't have that much time atm.

Last edited:
Also making this emu faster than it already is I guess willbe REALLY hard.

I think I found out whats causing me to lose save states too! Do not exit the emu after makinga save state seems to be working for me atm, twice now after exiting the emu rather than batteries dying I have lost my save state. I am going to try re-produce this when I can pry my gp2x out of my other halfs hands ;D

yodaofborg said:
Also making this emu faster than it already is I guess willbe REALLY hard.

I think I found out whats causing me to lose save states too! Do not exit the emu after makinga save state seems to be working for me atm, twice now after exiting the emu rather than batteries dying I have lost my save state. I am going to try re-produce this when I can pry my gp2x out of my other halfs hands ;D

not a bad excuse: sorry parents/spouse/boss I cant go to work/school because I have to keep playing PS1 games on my GP2X, otherwise it will delete the savestates :D
"take the battery out"
sadly Im using the power adapter, so I CANNOT EXIT!!! as the adapter is er, superglued in.

Hi everyone,

Small status update. I'm working hard to get more performance out of the dynarec, but at most I got 2 more FPS. I'm going to try some more stuff and see what I can do. Soon a lot more time will have to be invested for each leap in performance. So I'm going to have to think of some good/better ideas. ;P

So I've been working on things constantly, just there hasn't been much to say in terms of performance. The code will soon be cleaned up as well so that will take some time to do.

I was playing a while earlier, and the pretty much only really major thing that was getting at me was the sound support. Other than that everything is shaping up nicely, you're doing amazing!

In order for sound to work well, a performance increase will be required.
I fixed a large implementation bug in the dynarec, as well as tried to speed it up. I actually might have slowed it down by the slightest bit in some games, while improving performance in others. I am wondering if I fixed any games with this release. The resolution bug when switching to a different game is still present, I'll fix that soon. I haven't implemented Unai's fixes/changes to the GTE. I'll have to wait for his updates to come.

More to come, but for now release 041507 is on the build directory. Hopefully this release shows some differences between the last in a positive manner.

:)

FInally we got a new release to play with ;) you're amazing Zod!!

Just when I wanted to go to bed :( Guess I won't sleep much :D

Thanks for all the hard work, it is very close to playable in most games. In finger-flashing (3d game) it even runs 30fps when underclocked to 30% psx at 266mhz w/tweak.

Ungra Walker (3d hack&slash dungeon explorer) runs at 20fps most of the time at the same settings (large chambers with lots of creatures slows down to 16fps) still massively playable.

Thanks!!!

reiboul said:
FInally we got a new release to play with ;) you're amazing Zod!!

Just when I wanted to go to bed :( Guess I won't sleep much :D
Yeah, thats what I say (serves me right for learning to type in the address to spookysoft/psx4gp2x :ph34r: )

Dune 2000 and Tekken3 PAL still don't work :(

Gonna try C&C:red alert later on.

Back