Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

Ok, just checking because PC-Engine has a large amount of fantastic games.

The price of the Turbo Duo is really steep these days, which is why I'll settle for a good emu atm.

Edit: Actually, funny story, my girlfriend saw 2 Turbo Duos at our local value center/goodwill with controllers for $6 a piece. She didn't get it because she didn't know what they were :(

zodttd posted on Mar 29 2007 at 05:12 PM said:
One of the main reasons I am working on this project again, is because I have a lot more to offer it now. I learned a lot of things from gpSP2X and other projects along the way, and it's exciting to see myself fix things I had a lot of trouble figuring out before. It's my way of seeing how well I'm progressing as a programmer.
That's exactly what I thought would happen with your work on the GBA dynarec :D
I knew you wouldn't let the psx emu die off - it's just too challenging!

It would be so great to play something like wipeout or ridgeracer (and soulblade) on the gp2x - it was sort of playable with the interpreter version (in a sick way!) - I found myself fascinated by how far you had got..
Let's face it the PS1 is probably as recent a machine as you're going to be able to do to a reasonable job on the gp2x - hence the fascination I reckon!

Best of luck - enjoy the challenges doing this (and all the other stuff - this scene is so lucky having so many devs so keen on pushing the boundaries of this machine) and keep us all informed as there are so many people on this forum watching your developments with a lot of interest; best of luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Devs should work on what they enjoy most. If anyone doesn't like that, they can become a dev themselves :)

But Dave is right...

the PCEngine really had a lot of good games :p

To be honest, I don't really think all the devs should concentrate on PSX either, but Notaz seems to be the one developer around here that really got the second cpu workingthe way it should, so some collaboration for the benefit of everyone in that particular regard is a good idea I think.

Personally, I don't think I would ever use this emu (aside from beta testing) even if it were 100% fullspeed, but I will still cheer on its progress and look forward to every bit of news! Go for it guys :)

DaveC just likes moaning. I never had or even seen a pc engine untill years and years after it ha dbeen out and gone. Im not saying the pc engine was bad just that it wasnt that big in some places.

Anyway I love psx4gp2x! early in this thread some people were askin about changing the name? But the whole point (I think ) Is its psx4all as in for many different things then they change the name to the system it isa on as in psx4gp2x or psx4v43 or psx4zaurus and so on.

I dont care if this gets to fullspeed with the older versions i loved playing around with them and finding games that worked well. I still remember constructer working nearly perfectly a few versions ago :).

Zodttd I will help test it for you if you like :p and i still have my zaurus and v43 if you do anythin to them too ;)

:blink: :blink: :eek: :D

You are inhuman, you lot.

Goob posted on Mar 29 2007 at 09:37 PM said:
Devs should work on what they enjoy most. If anyone doesn't like that, they can become a dev themselves :)

Yee-haw to that!

And Zod, Unai, Exo...Please don't make an emulator on which I can play FF7 on my morning commute, please! Not only will I be morally obligated to donate my first-born to you, I'll also have to move house, far away, so that I get a long enough morning commute...

:p :D

Welcome back to the PSX Zod! I like the idea of a PSX emulator on the GP2X for pure geekery! If it can become playable that will be sweet. It's also nice to note that the GP2X had a PSX emulator before the PSP! Sure it wasn't fullspeed but the progress was astounding!

As for Payback not being PSX level GFX? It's more so in my opinion... it has lots of effects being pushed through a software renderer, the biggy being HDR lighting. AFAIK this is still only on one processor too. I reckon natively that impressive 3D games can still be done with a good software renderer... the problem is that devs need enough know-how to pull it off!

I don't doubt that an entirely playable PSX emulator can be reached we just need to have faith in our devs and have patience.

It's so easy nowadays to discard current hardware and consider it as obsolete because we have basically become spoiled. We know longer HAVE to wrestle every cycle of performance out of our hardware because manufacturers have become so obsessed with pushing everyone forwards... sometimes when they are not ready. I want the GP2X to scream with being overworked before we look for the GP3X. I guess I think that a PSX emulator is something that could be just the screaming point for the GP2X.

Make us proud guys!

I'm so happy to see this support for the PSX. A while ago when I first got here and started asking questions, some people seemed to think it wasn't worth talking about, let alone continuing the pursuit of PSX emulation.
I'm so glad to see that the one true area where the GP2X excels passed every handheld is still intact. The console is a symbol of untold potential. It's openness and community is what drive it forwards, not it's technical limitations.
So a beer for every1 who gives the project a thumbs up!
Projects like these actually represent way more than they appear to.

Heh, video's will have to wait a bit as I'm still working out things with the dynarec. I got another frame or two in performance, and Exophase and Unai have some great ideas for it that should speed things up quite a bit further.

zodttd posted on Mar 30 2007 at 08:04 AM said:
Heh, video's will have to wait a bit as I'm still working out things with the dynarec. I got another frame or two in performance, and Exophase and Unai have some great ideas for it that should speed things up quite a bit further.

Oy, better slow down, one cannot play too well, if the emulators speed exceeds 100%... Too fast. :(

Back