Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

DaveC posted on Mar 29 2007 at 04:20 PM said:
Julius posted on Mar 29 2007 at 01:01 PM said:
Sounds great!

Now you just need to get Notaz on board for his sweet dual cpu coding skills (talk about dream team ;) )!

And have every developer tied up doing PSX?. Since only the few that can overclock super high (not everyone can do 266 MHz, some are stuck at 240 MHz) can have something that runs at 10 FPS many times, the rest of us will be left out. Plus what kind of battery life are you getting at 266 or more? Too bad all of this hard work wasn't directed to something that could actually be fullspeed. I wonder why all of this obsession with PSX? The PSP does it fullspeed already.
GRRR .......

PS:im building up a rant just so you know

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Mar 29 2007 at 04:20 PM said:
And have every developer tied up doing PSX?. Since only the few that can overclock super high (not everyone can do 266 MHz, some are stuck at 240 MHz) can have something that runs at 10 FPS many times, the rest of us will be left out. Plus what kind of battery life are you getting at 266 or more? Too bad all of this hard work wasn't directed to something that could actually be fullspeed. I wonder why all of this obsession with PSX? The PSP does it fullspeed already.

I think we ALL know by now that you can only overclock to 240Mhz <_< Why do you always have to negate all efforts put into the GP2X?? You don't even have to post here since you aren't interrested in PSX and are convinced it can't be good on our handeld...
The majority of us would really LOVE seing psx games on the gp2x, even if they wouldn't play, and don't wan't to buy a PSP, for financial, ethical or other reasons
BTW, did you forget that the PSP have a 16/9 weird resolution, so we would have to stretch and filter (blurrrr) the image (OMG :eek:)
And I do not mention its crappy joystick and ghosty screen :ph34r: That's UNBEARABLE :rolleyes:

(If I had money, i would buy a gp2x AND a psp AND a ds AND a new pc AND give a lot of money to gp2x devellopers but hey, wtf? :ph34r: )

This post was leading to nothing, I'll just shut up.

Great Works ZodTTD, keep us informed !

paxl13

First I must stress that this project still has a long way to go before I would ever recommend a GP2X for playing a PS1 game...

I have a PSP and I also don't enjoy playing most PS1 games. I have future plans for this emulator as well. One of the main reasons I am working on this project again, is because I have a lot more to offer it now. I learned a lot of things from gpSP2X and other projects along the way, and it's exciting to see myself fix things I had a lot of trouble figuring out before. It's my way of seeing how well I'm progressing as a programmer.

The added benefit is this project starts to mature.

DaveC, ever think of what hardware we'll be using after the GP2X's lifespan ends, dare I say? I don't just program for whats out now, I keep in mind of the future of my projects.

In other news, I got 2 more frames added in performance of more intense games like Wipeout XL, and I'm not implemented a sort-of idle loop detection. :)

reiboul posted on Mar 29 2007 at 03:45 PM said:
The majority of us would really LOVE seing psx games on the gp2x, even if they wouldn't play, and don't wan't to buy a PSP..

That is the part I don't understand. Why is it so compelling for so many to have PSX running on the GP2X even though as you say "they wouldn't play". What is the point of it? If you can't play it what would you do with it? Just seems weird. Then there are systems like PC-Engine w/CD that COULD be made full speed and VERY playable but yet no one bothers. The whole thing is just weird that is all.

zodttd posted on Mar 29 2007 at 04:12 PM said:
First I must stress that this project still has a long way to go before I would ever recommend a GP2X for playing a PS1 game...

DaveC, ever think of what hardware we'll be using after the GP2X's lifespan ends, dare I say? I don't just program for whats out now, I keep in mind of the future of my projects.

Well for future (and other hardware like the Dreamcast, Zaurus etc) yes I suppose. It makes more sense for you as a coder. It just seems odd all of the obsession for the *users* that go mental everytime PSX on the GP2X is mentioned, even though it is not too practical on the current hardware.

DaveC posted on Mar 29 2007 at 07:16 PM said:
reiboul posted on Mar 29 2007 at 03:45 PM said:
The majority of us would really LOVE seing psx games on the gp2x, even if they wouldn't play, and don't wan't to buy a PSP..

That is the part I don't understand. Why is it so compelling for so many to have PSX running on the GP2X even though as you say "they wouldn't play". What is the point of it? If you can't play it what would you do with it? Just seems weird. Then there are systems like PC-Engine w/CD that COULD be made full speed and VERY playable but yet no one bothers. The whole thing is just weird that is all.
the same could be said of your unatural obsession of Snes DaveC.
where is that oh so achievable Snes emu that should by your thinking be fullspeed by now ???

theres no guaranties for ANY emu running fullspeed and i thought you learned that lesson following squidgesnes but NO.. you have to spread your inane view to every psx4all thread what,s up with that ???

im really curious how your logic works because the psx4all code might in the long run improve the Snes emu.

Im thinking of the scanline based rendering engine by exophase that is benefiting Gpsp and might benefit psx,Snes emus.

(i do not mean that the engine could be cut and pasted into the current emus but some trix could be learned for use in the snes emu in the long run)

i always had the utmost respect for you DaveC, but now youre just trolling.
Gpsp is in good hands Exophase knows what it needs to improve compability/performance
and psx4allteam has worked for a long time i believe they just took up posting news and that freaks you out ???

DaveC posted on Mar 29 2007 at 07:16 PM said:

I finished Castlevania SotN juste a few months ago, and Oddworld last holidays. Many people think of FF7 as a legendary japanese-style RPG. I'm not even speaking of 3D Games, those are just (mainly) 2D games with a little 3D, they have all entered the pantheon of video game, and they have great potential for becoming really fast on the GP2X!
Does the PC Engine have so many great games? don't tell me about DraculaX... it's nothing compared to SotN!
Then you should think about what Zod said, about his personnal 'enjoyment' : PSX is a real challenge. If he likes that, and we like that, everyone should be happy ;)

And about why playing PSX on the GP2X and not on a PC with a pad and a bigger screen... it's the same as for every other emulator... Why buy a handeld designed for emulation if you don't get the point of having as many 'emulable' systems as possible?

Can we please fix the [spam word] issue? M3dicine is not something that should be censored ;)

If zod squeezes a couple fps out of this emu, so be it. It's not a big deal dave, I dont know why you keep complaining. It's not like gpsp was abandoned for the psx emu ;)

I dont mind if DaveC gives a reason for not working on the PS1 emulator, even if it's rediculous, but I think you're going around the real reason you don't want this project done. I've yet to figure it out. Maybe it's just because you think I could work on an emulator you favor more? If it's gpSP2X, I am still working on it just as much as before. Just tell the truth and move on. The whole thing about SNES, PC Engine, etc., gets old fast but it only bothers me because I think you're not giving the full story.

DaveC posted on Mar 29 2007 at 12:16 PM said:
Well for future (and other hardware like the Dreamcast, Zaurus etc) yes I suppose. It makes more sense for you as a coder. It just seems odd all of the obsession for the *users* that go mental everytime PSX on the GP2X is mentioned, even though it is not too practical on the current hardware.
Ah yes, let's all stop appreciating what the devs do unless we know for 100% certain that it will benefit us in the future. Good idea... <_< <_<

Second of all, Zod seems to think it's practical. And I'll trust his judgment. You've been wrong many times about these things, Dave.

Finally, if someone worked on a good PC-Engine CD emulator, you better believe there would be just as many people cheering the dev on.

reiboul posted on Mar 29 2007 at 11:44 AM said:
Does the PC Engine have so many great games? don't tell me about DraculaX... it's nothing compared to SotN!

Gate of thunder
R-type CD
Shapire hunter
Gradius 2

and some others RPG I don't remember at the moment.

reiboul posted on Mar 29 2007 at 05:44 PM said:
Then you should think about what Zod said, about his personnal 'enjoyment' : PSX is a real challenge. If he likes that, and we like that, everyone should be happy ;)

... if you don't get the point of having as many 'emulable' systems as possible?
Well as a matter of fact the PC-Engine DOES have alot of great games. There are many great shooters, some great CD based RPGs, very good platformers etc. Don't mention Drac-X? It may not beat SoTN on their native systems, but If I had to choose between Drac-X running at 60 FPS with perfect sound over SoTN at 15 FPS with poor sound I would go Drac-X all of the way.

As far as what Zod said, that is fine I never said he shouldn't work on it. Read my post again I never said he should do something else. If that is what he wants to do fine.

I just posted originally because Julius mention that we should get all devs to focus on PSX.

zodttd posted on Mar 29 2007 at 05:58 PM said:
I dont mind if DaveC gives a reason for not working on the PS1 emulator, even if it's rediculous, but I think you're going around the real reason you don't want this project done. I've yet to figure it out. Maybe it's just because you think I could work on an emulator you favor more? If it's gpSP2X, I am still working on it just as much as before. Just tell the truth and move on. The whole thing about SNES, PC Engine, etc., gets old fast but it only bothers me because I think you're not giving the full story.

Just tell the truth and move on. The whole thing about SNES, PC Engine, etc., gets old fast but it only bothers me because I think you're not giving the full story.

I have a TG16 and also a Turbo Duo I'll sell you DaveC. ;P

I never did say that you shouldn't work on PSX. Basically just said what I said which is that I don't understand the obsession with the users over something that will not be very playable. That was it, nothing more.

Maybe many users think a miracle will be performed and the GP2X hardware will be transformed into something capable of running it full speed? Not sure.

Whatever, have fun with it.

How much (duo)?

I know! DaveC works for Sony! :p

I don't really mind, as long as the thread stays mostly on topic and doesn't become cyclic....

<Edited for being lame on reflection>

R-Type Delta. That's the only game worth playing on the PS1, in my not-so-humble opinion...

If that game plays well, then I'll also add in my cheers to zodttd :)

D.

shinra posted on Mar 29 2007 at 07:59 PM said:
reiboul posted on Mar 29 2007 at 11:44 AM said:

Gate of thunder
R-type CD
Shapire hunter
Gradius 2

and some others RPG I don't remember at the moment.

Play CPS2 :p

Ok this argument wasn't well chosen :rolleyes: It was just to mention PSX have many great games that would run just fine

Back