Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

Hello, I'm a beta tester. I'm using firmware 1.2.1.

I'm now trying Silent Hill, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics.

All my ISOs are compressed to FF8. What do people thing get the best performance and compatibility?

I am finding the menu system quite functional. The flicking is not that irritating. I wouldn't rush to fix it for beta2.

edit: Tactics is amazing. Intro movie where you click text is running at 28 fps while the text is writing and dropping to 10 fps occasionally while the background is changing. This is OC to 270. And at 240 the FPS is 25.

So an extra 30mhz gives an extra 3 fps. (quite good)

Final Fantasy Tactics
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OC - 270
INTERLACE - 1
PROGRESSIVE - ON
VSYNC/FPS
14/14 In Menu
25/25 text introduction
35/10 background image changing
17/11 Render rotating balcony at start
12/12 Ingame
16/16 ingame after first complex balcony scene.
20/10 fight scene (Falls to 5fps at the lowest for just an instant while massive spell is cast)

--------------------

Vagrant Story
~~~~~~~~~
OC - 280
INTERLACE - 1
PROGRESSIVE - ON
VSYNC/FPS
18/18 Menu
28/6 rainy introduction
20/6 3D introduction

-------

BUGS:
Graphical glitch after entering date of birth in FF Tactics. Looks like a scambled screen. Same in vagrants story when "now loading." Does not crash game.

Slight graphical glitches in 3d games as already reported.

Silent Hill 1 crashed. How do I tell if silent hill is PAL or NTSC?

Diablo does not get past the standard copyright notice.

icurafu posted on May 13 2006 at 08:34 PM said:

Just look on the back of your games CD case. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Drak posted on May 13 2006 at 09:06 PM said:
No videos yet.. come on beta testers.. o_O

At least show us some videos, those numbers arent sexy enough to our eyes. You should give us the beta, we will actually put up some video, even if we can only use webcams :eek:

... I would have made one, but trust me, this beta is nothing special image-wise...

I have a 40+ game collection I am itchin' to get through. The day I can play Ace Combat: Electrosphere on my Gp2X will be a great one.

You are a fantastic dev Zodttd, definitely my favorite.

Shikaku posted on May 13 2006 at 10:22 PM said:
Drak posted on May 13 2006 at 09:06 PM said:
No videos yet.. come on beta testers.. o_O

At least show us some videos, those numbers arent sexy enough to our eyes. You should give us the beta, we will actually put up some video, even if we can only use webcams :eek:

... I would have made one, but trust me, this beta is nothing special image-wise...

but id love to see the polygon shapes :)

My site: http://pi.projectinfinity.org.uk/tiki/tiki...hp?galleryId=13

It's still not final, but you are welcom to use its' facilities.
Also you could sign up for Google Video

and RE:Videos of the beta ... I'm sorry I've been enjoying FF7 too much to video it. Seriously though, MY capture card is being smelly, so this is why there are no videos from me as yet.

reallynotnick posted on May 14 2006 at 05:07 AM said:
icurafu posted on May 13 2006 at 08:34 PM said:

Just look on the back of your games CD case. :p

Well if you have a naughty copy of a game, mount the PSX image in a virtual drive (or just pop the CD in the drive) and open up the disc. You should see a file:
"SLUS_008.92"

This is the games Region and ID number. As you can see this is SLUS so it is USA region and hence NTSC.

(It is also the ID of FF8 ... so I better change my listing since I said it was PAL >_>)

PokeParadox posted on May 14 2006 at 11:02 AM said:
My site: http://pi.projectinfinity.org.uk/tiki/tiki...hp?galleryId=13

It's still not final, but you are welcom to use its' facilities.
Also you could sign up for Google Video

and RE:Videos of the beta ... I'm sorry I've been enjoying FF7 too much to video it. Seriously though, MY capture card is being smelly, so this is why there are no videos from me as yet.
The gp2x.de file archive allows upload of files.

STREET FIGHTER EX PLUS APLPHA

OC =275
INTERLACE=0
PROG SCAN=OFF

VSYNC=11
FRAMERATE=5-6

This game looks pretty sweet with no glitches at all, but runs too slowly. In menu it runs almost full speed though. One thing I've noticed overall is that loading times have gone down with the beta.

I'm fairly sure someone asked for Ace Combat 3, though I can't find that post anymore. I'll give that a try next.

---------------------------------

ACE COMBAT 3

OC=275
INTERLACE=0
PROG SCAN=OFF

VSYNC=13
FRAMERATE=5 (DROPS TO 3 WHEN YOU GET TO A CITY)

Again, the menu ran really fast, once in game it got pretty slow. There's a bug with the polygons on the horizon where they are all filled with different gradients. Looks kind of like a messed up rainbow, lurking on the ground. :blink:

-------------------------------------

VRALLY

OC=275
INTERALACE=0
PROG SCAN= OFF

VSYNC=12
FRAMERATE=6

Worked pretty well. No glitches as such, except that sometimes the next bit of the track wouldn't have loaded and you end up driving on nothing. It'll pop up after a few frames though. Not too sure if that's just my SD card being slow...

And for people who don't have the beta, when it says 6 or so in the framerate, yes it is pretty slow, but it is a lot smoother than the previous releases, which makes it a lot more playable than before. (Although not playable, if you know what I mean :rolleyes: )

-----------------------------------

CRASH BANDICOOT 2

OC=275
INTERLACE=0
PROGSCAN=OFF

VSYNC=11
FRAMERATE=3-4

This one had a lot of the 'small polygon' glitch from FF7. Especially on Crash himself and polygons towards the edge of the screen. Some colour bugs as well. Other than that this one looked damn impressive dtail wise on the gp2x's screen.

-------------------------------------

RIDGE RACER 4

OC=275
INTERLACE=0
PROGSCAN=OFF

VSYNC=10
FRAMERATE=4

The buildings in the background don't get diplayed properly, as in they have halves missing. Other than that runs at about a quarter speed.

--------------------------------------

ACE COMBAT 1

OC=275
INTERLACE=0
PROGSACN=OFF

VSYNC=27
FRAMERATE=13-15

Runs pretty fast, over half speed, almost playable. Gpraphically almost perfect, some clipping issues in the distance. Managed to shoot down some planes though :)

soup_nazi posted on May 14 2006 at 02:07 PM said:
ACE COMBAT 3

OC=275
INTERLACE=0
PROG SCAN=OFF

VSYNC=13
FRAMERATE=5 (DROPS TO 3 WHEN YOU GET TO A CITY)

Again, the menu ran really fast, once in game it got pretty slow. There's a bug with the polygons on the horizon where they are all filled with different gradients. Looks kind of like a messed up rainbow, lurking on the ground. :blink:

That's one of the superweapons, the hippie-ray. :ph34r:

Still no luck getting my capture card to.. um.. capture. But I have discovered that, while it refuses to capture video (freezes whatever application I try to capture on, no matter which codec I choose), I can take screenshots.

So would anyone like some screenshots of some of the games I've tried?

Jarska333 posted on May 14 2006 at 01:27 PM said:
Try with Dscaler. What card do you have, btw?
It is Dscaler that I'm using primarily. And I have tried to use VirtualDub(Mod) and Nandub to capture, but it keeps crashing. >_> I dunno why since it worked last week.

ADS Tech VideoXpress is my card (it's actually a USB 2.0 adaptor with the inputs)

Can anyone of the betatesters please try out Civilization 2?

I would so like to have a portable version of this game and it even ran quite good with the previous releases.
Same with Command and Conquer...

Back